View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
painting latex lekku 

Unread post painting latex lekku
help! i am failing miserably at painting my lekku. I feel like ive gone over it a thousand times and its still a very light, uneven blotchy, see through light green. I have a spot where it got too thick and is flakey. i am at a loss on whats going on. Should it take hella long to paint them? Should i keep putting on endless, seemingly invisible layers? I did a test spot on my arm and it took much less paint to paint me than it is on my lekku.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:46 pm
Site Admin

Unread post Re: painting latex lekku
I've found that it always takes more body paint to cover the lekku than it takes to paint skin... and you're right, it seems like the layers are invisible as you paint them! It always takes a lot longer than I feel like it should. Just when I start getting to the point where I'm ready to scream, "Okay, that's it! Where's my crafts paint? I don't care if the colors match or not!" I'll notice that the lekku are starting to look even in some spots. I'll sigh and paint on a few more invisible layers, and taa daa... I have painted lekku. I keep swearing that someday I'm just going to paint them with latex paint from now on, but year after year I keep painting them with body paint instead

I'd love to hear more about how others are doing the paint, and what results you've gotten.

Pam :-)

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:02 pm

lekku are done - for now. Still not perfect, they look good indoors but not in sunlight. I can't believe how tired I am from painting them. I used about 2oz of Reel Creations body ink. Gonna look at them with fresh eyes tomorrow, they might not be as bad as i think.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:35 am
Site Moderator

Huh. Am I the only one who's had no real issues? First time I did it with a stipple sponge, lots of light, fast dabbing in two layers allowed to dry a full day between layers. That was with the water-based makeup.

Second time was with the Reel Creations alcohol-based stuff. I repeated the stipple for the first layer and then used the airbrush on very high pressure and with a very open 'bore' (you pull the needle back more allowing more paint flow-through) I did the headtails just fine in pretty even (skinlike evenness anyway) pencil-wide strokes. I then went back afterward with a normal smooth makeup sponge and added crease or wrinkle detail at the base of each lek, as my character (like her player) is middle-aged.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Not only are you the only one who has had no real issues... you're also the one who can do the most incredible things with the makeup. I'm always amazed by what you can do with those colors.

Pam :-)

Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:14 pm

I used an airbrush and Olive Branch body paint on mine and had no issues at all. No flaking, spotting or blotchiness. It only took two coats and that could be because of the dark color paint I used which was brown. The process was really painless.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:27 pm

humans are more green light sensitive than any other colour, so we will pick up blotchiness in certain shades of green before any other colour.

I can throw blue kryolan on, and it always looks good, but green, major OMG! Same brand, same lekku maker!

I found the aqua based makeup just seemed to work better on the latex too, but I guess it just depends...

Green also tends to stain the latex a little when you try to remove it.

April

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:58 am

Hey guys,

I have the same problem i have put on 3 layers of red body paint and still doesnt look good. I will try a couple of more layers and see what happens. I keep your guys posted.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:50 pm

What paint are you using? I'm finding Reel Creations and Latona's Inks stick extremely well and are flexible.

Aside from maybe switching your paints, what tools are you using to apply to paint? Sponges and brushes are great but they do tend to allow the solvent in new paint to break down the old and so you can get patches that way. An airbrush will avoid this unless you paint too heavily :)

I'm not sure if it will help but you could also try cleaning the latex thoroughly with rubbing alcohol. It should degrease the surface and allow the paint to grip a little better.

Also latex that has just cured will hold some paints better than latex that has been cured for a month or so. My first set of Asari tentacles are straight acrylic paint and flow medium. Can't do that with my current piece with is older.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:48 am
Profile WWW

I had a little bit of trouble when I first started using my airbrush, but once I figured out the different flow settings ("Oh you mean pulling BACKWARDS on the lever makes it flow faster?? So THAT'S why it's taking so long when I'm pushing forward..." /facepalm) it went on pretty easily. Granted, I was using my light Reel Creations blue mix for Aayla, and then white mottled spots over that, so it could be different for other colors.

It does take WAY more paint than you'd expect to cover it, I easily went through 5-6 ounces my first time painting them, and 2oz or so when I repainted after correcting my lacing. I didn't count layers when doing it, but I would guess I did at least 4 layers of the blue, and then one layer of the white spots. Making sure you're standing back a bit (6 inches minimum for a flat color, you can go much closer if doing spots depending on the type of spot you're aiming for) helps ensure an even coat.

Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and other Sci/fi props & replicas at THGProps!

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next