View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Flesh Colored Latex Lekku 
Site Admin

Unread post Flesh Colored Latex Lekku
Hi,

Girls often ask me what's the best way to color their latex lekku so that the headpiece will match the natural color of their skin. I'm never sure what to tell them, since I'd never done that. (Well, I have worn a flesh colored headpiece once... but it was for a night parade and I knew that nobody was going to see it very well, so I just slopped on some 10-year old acrylic craft paint that started cracking soon after it was applied.) I'd actually like to make one of my headpieces flesh colored, too, so I can troop as a Twi'lek every now and then without painting myself blue.

For those of you who have made your lekku flesh colored... what did you use on your headpiece, and how well did it work? Artists paint? Body paint? Regular makeup?

Thanks,

Pam :-)

Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:42 am

Unread post Re: Flesh Colored Latex Lekku
I've been colouring latex lately (Asari headpieces) to various shades of flesh. I really like acrylic ink and paint mixed with latex. And I have finally managed a semi transluscent mix but still need to work out proportions ;)

For flesh I have mixed a nice brown using oche ink, black ink and red paint. A heck of a lot of yellow base is needed and I am planning on getting more ink later. I think add a little white (about equal amount to the brown) and mix with latex (aabout five times the total paint mix) and test it on the back of my hand as body heat cures the latex quickly enough to see what the final colour will be.
My paint palette looks like a series of foundations at the moment with dried paint mixed in various shades of flesh ;)

Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:51 am
Profile WWW

I haven't tried it yet, but i planned on using skin tone colored airbrush ink on one of mine. Reel creations doesn't have too many colors to chose from so i might go with Dinair ink for that since they are made for natural skin tones.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:27 pm

How would foundation and powder work? Since it's made for everyday wear, I guess it should give the most natural result. That is, if foundation covers the latex color well enough, and doesn't smear off. I don't use foundation, so I can't really test it :roll:

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:39 pm

Thats actually a good way of doing it a good qaulity foundation and powder would work nicely,im kinda lucky my skin is pretty fair so i could and have worn my lekku (before they got painted) and there wasn't much of a difference in colour.

(now im all red and brown from sunburn :/)

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:31 pm

I hate speaking on behalf of anyone else but Kristy here in NZ (Anaria on various forums) used foundation on her Pam lekku :) She did find it took a few layers with a sponge to get it even.
http://anaria.dr-maul.com/index.php?cid=twilekjedi
I have seen them up close and it works well :)

I would just be careful with it. Latex breaks down with exposure to certain chemicals and stains with copper and a few other metals. So I'd check the ingredients of the make up first. Petrochemicals are not good. I am very careful with my moisturiser even before putting on my appliances. That may be overkill ;)
http://makinglatexclothing.com/latex-care/
This is for care of latex clothing but the advice really goes over well with any latex pieces :)
You can get airbrush foundation too but I have never tried it.
Oh and for fun:
http://www.primelineindustries.com/natu ... chart.html
Check out the effect chocolate syrup has on latex ;) Oh the lols.
I'm a little confused about silicon oil though as that is what is used to shine latex.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

I'd suggest using an appropriate alcohol-based ink underneath normal foundation makeup that matches as well as possible. Fred Blau's Reel Creations can be mixed to match ANYTHING if you can contact him long enough in advance, and the makeup does not seem to harm latex for long term application. The ink will give the other color staying power while protecting the lekku.

There are two potential problems with doing your lekku to match your skin, though.

1) Real skin has a translucent and pinkish quality (regardless of ethnicity) due to the way light shows through capillaries, and the lekku don't have this so it will not be quite as convincing. (Same reason you can usually tell where the foundation ends on a gal's jawline - the skin has a different luminosity to it where the base is.) Darker skin has the advantage here but it can still be an issue. Faking it with a little blush on the undersides of the lekku and along the temple will help.

2) If you are 'ethnic' (with air quotes; it's what we call ourselves in my family as it's a lot easier to say than 'Native American, multiple tribes' - I have a form of albinism) then it can be really hard to find foundation that matches your skin. It's like the makeup companies decided white folk desperately need help but everyone else is pretty, but what this means is that for the cost, if you are darker than a mochachino, spring for the extra money for the ink and get your skin matched perfectly.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Thanks for the input, everyone. I love having a chance to toss around ideas with others who have the same interests!

On Saturday our garrison volunteered with the Salvation Army at the local mall. (We brought in $176 in two hours... nobody can resist the power of a wind-blown Darth Vader playing "Jingle Bells" on a little red bell!) I had been planning to attend as a Jedi, like I did the two previous years we went bell ringing, but then I decided to spruce up the costume with some flesh colored lekku. We were changing in a mall staff room and going to lunch afterwards, so I wouldn't be able to remove any body paint.

So, on Friday evening I trimmed the seams off a sacrificial lekku headpiece, and decided to paint it with artist's paint. That's what I've always used to color prosthetics before, and I always have plenty of paint on hand! (I just have to remember: acrylic paint for latex, oil paint for silicone!) I started by mixing some acrylics into a nice flesh color that was a little bit on the red side, mixed it 50/50 with liquid latex, and then thinnned it with water. I gave the headpiece two coats of that to get a solid base color, and then I mixed up a more yellow tinted outer color and thinned that as well. (My skin is very yellow.) I overcompensated for the way that latex darkens as it dries, though, so the next layer came out a bit too light. I liked the way the red base influenced the outer layer, but it was too pale so I had to mix up a third, darker version. That one came out a bit too orange once it was dry, so I toned that down and the fourth color mix looked right. The biggest challenge I had was that I was working late in the evening, so I had no natural light for seeing the colors. Our rooms with flourescent lights made the colors too red, the room with "natural" bulbs make colors too yellow, the bright compact bulbs are too blue, and so on. I had to really guess how the colors would look outside during the day!

Anyway, I gave the headpiece a final coat and left it to dry overnight. When I finally saw it in the daylight, I found that it was a bit too yellow, but I thought it was close enough to wear for the event. I wore it for two hours, including some time in the rain, and it came out perfectly. No paint rubbed off, no water stains, no damage at all to show that it had been worn. The artist's paint mixed with latex works very well, and the main challenge is just matching the colors. Ideally, I would like to airbrush the paints to give a more flesh-like quality. Little mole here, little vein structure there... details that nobody but me would ever notice...

Pam :-)

Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:36 am

Pam, do you have a source for the liquid latex? I'm toying with tinting my lekku to more of my skin color under the blue body ink.... not decided, but thinking about it...

Also, did you use the craft type acrylic in the bottle (Apple Barrel, Americana, etc.) or artist type acrylics in the tube?

BTW, looks great! :)

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:20 pm

I tried using foundation and powder on mine a few days ago, since my green paint was not turning out well enough to be ready for StarFest. I am extremely pale, the unpainted lekku are a little darker than my skin to start with, and it didn't turn out so well for me. The lekku look nice, but they're way off from my skin color, lol! I sponged on a few layers of foundation, and then a light coating of translucent powder. The powder helped mute the pink tones in my foundation, and gave it a more skin-like texture.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next