View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Flesh Colored Latex Lekku 
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Flesh Colored Latex Lekku
I'm familiar with that! ::mix a color, apply:: Nope, too light. ::adjust mix, apply:: Nope, too red. ::mix a color, apply:: Nope, too yellow.... :-D

I use the bottles of paint, like Apple Barrel. It's a lot easier to mix those paints into the latex because they're thinner than the stuff that comes in the tubes.

Pam :-)

Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:09 am

Meena wrote:
I tried using foundation and powder on mine a few days ago, since my green paint was not turning out well enough to be ready for StarFest. I am extremely pale, the unpainted lekku are a little darker than my skin to start with, and it didn't turn out so well for me. The lekku look nice, but they're way off from my skin color, lol! I sponged on a few layers of foundation, and then a light coating of translucent powder. The powder helped mute the pink tones in my foundation, and gave it a more skin-like texture.

That's why I'm thinking of tinting my lekku first... to be a bit closer to my real skin tone before I add the blue. My theory is that having a semi-uniform color underneath will make it easier to make the final color look the same on my real skin and the prosthetic.

BTW, I was in Walgreen's the other day and saw one of those multi-hued compacts for eyeshadow.... it was all swirled together rather than the separate wells for the different colors. There was one with several blue tones and a bit of pink, and I thought it might be cool to use that as a sort of "blush" or toner after applying the blue ink base.

But this thread is about flesh-color, so I'll go back to topic...

Twi'lek Pam wrote:
I'm familiar with that! ::mix a color, apply:: Nope, too light. ::adjust mix, apply:: Nope, too red. ::mix a color, apply:: Nope, too yellow.... :-D

I use the bottles of paint, like Apple Barrel. It's a lot easier to mix those paints into the latex because they're thinner than the stuff that comes in the tubes.

Pam :-)

If you are like I am, you will wind up with a BIG batch of paint from all of the tweaking. ;)

Question: When I went to my local craft store to get some bottles of paint, I saw some liquid latex for casting. It was in the department with the gel coat, resin, plaster, etc. I have also seen online flesh-colored (or other colors) liquid latex available from costume shops.

Which would be better to use for mixing with the acrylic paint and touching up the lekku? I was thinking the costume shop version but wondered about the casting version since these were originally cast? I am wondering if the 2 varieties might have different "other ingredients'... the casting version indicated it contained a lot of ammonia.

:?:

Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:58 am

The makeup I use is a mineral powder, L'oreal Bare Naturale. I think I'll try this on my lekku... I tend to have bright red splotches on my face, and this makeup is one of the few that covers them and looks natural. Hopefully it'll cover the lekku just as well.

Bah... What am I thinking? That probably won't work with just powder. I think I'll probably have to do the acrylic paint underneath at least with a bit of powder on top.
Does the acrylic have to be mixed with latex? Because I'm pretty sure I could find a close match for my skin with the paint alone, but mixing it up is going to be difficult to determine the color.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:46 am

wanted to share my makeup success for my flesh toned lekku that I wore to Celebration 6. I was so paranoid about what to buy and how much would I have to spend and all that jazz but I really lucked out.
I had a really tight budget, and no access to an airbrush and no one to help me to apply any of it so I opted for a creme blend makeup by Mehron
$8

It only took 1 thorough coating with a little extra care for the arches of the lekku because I knew how visible they would be, I used a makeup sponge to dab it on. Didn't even use the entire thing of makeup.

then I used Mehron clear colorset powder
$5

just used a powder brush to lightly dust this across every area that I had applied the creme makeup to

and then i just misted the entire piece with Mehron Barrier Spray
$5

I made sure to let each area dry before storing my lekku overnight wear the next day

I used a little of the makeup to even out my skin tone on my face and neck but this was mostly due to getting sunburned the day before. But overall I think everything matched up pretty well. None of the makeup rubbed off on the back of my costume. Even after sitting in a car and walking around all day.
And my car does not have air conditioning, with the barrier spray over my face makeup none of it sweat off.

Did some minor touch-ups for day two but only on the tips of the lekku and on the area around my head-wrap and under my feather headdress that I wore but don't have any pics on my camera of :(

everything was found through ebay so the prices may vary a little but this was a perfect solution for my budget.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:11 pm

My lekku have a slight greenish - blue tint to them (no idea what happened when my commissioner painted them) but I am going the make up over latex route as well.

My lekku are very uh ... imperfect as far as the latex with a lot of grooves and stuff so painting is gonna be a pain.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2