View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
So a droid and two Twi'leks walk into a bank... 
Site Moderator

Unread post So a droid and two Twi'leks walk into a bank...
...for a business loan - wait. No.

Seriously, though, I've decided to start creating and assembling items and am working on a viable business plan for costume rentals for conventions. This could be a group effort if people wanted to get involved or work under the same banner, but mostly this thread is inquiry to fellow costumers. We can talk business plan another time.

What is the sort of thing you'd love to see a convention merchant have handy? What do you invariably FAIL to pack, or need help with? I find that at every convention I end up with a fist-full of strangers who need my hot-glue gun or other prop-fixes; help with body paint/retouches; boot/shoe covers, moleskin/Dr Scholl's, spirit gum/remover - and they would truly prefer not to pay $12 a pop for an item they actually have at home. Then there's the business of far-travelers who brought one costume to reduce luggage but discover they don't want to LARP in their jeans and Ts, or they could *really* use a kimono and obi for just one day, but can't afford a couple hundred bucks to buy one.

What would work? What is it we always need but don't want to carry home?

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:38 pm
Profile WWW

Unread post Re: So a droid and two Twi'leks walk into a bank...
I think having somewhere you could go and get a quick costume fix for those inevitable malfunctions would be nice, hot glue, tape, simple sewing fixes, that sort of thing. This could be a service that you offer to the side of costume rentals, of which you'd have to have some generic things made up in a host of different sizes. And I think you could make a viable business out of it. My mom and I used to do something like this for the native American Pow-Wow circuit, she made simple dresses and fans (look up ribbon dresses for an idea of what she did) we sold our inventory outright but I think a rental service would work just as well.

In process Rachi Sitra (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)
In process Bespin Leia (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)

Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:38 pm

this sounds like a great idea; I find my biggest problem is being able to do my own hair for a costume (not as big a deal for a twi'lek) but quite a few of the female characters worthy of costuming have very elaborate hair.

I'm usually on my own for getting into my costume and doing all the stuff like hair and makeup and I just can't always see nor reach in some of the ways I need.

And I don't know the first thing about styling wigs, so having different wigs to rent with costumes and/or wig supplies like brushes or caps (cause i'm always losing mine) as well as someone available to help fix hair issues perhaps?

Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:16 am

AmdlStar wrote:
this sounds like a great idea; I find my biggest problem is being able to do my own hair for a costume (not as big a deal for a twi'lek) but quite a few of the female characters worthy of costuming have very elaborate hair.

I'm usually on my own for getting into my costume and doing all the stuff like hair and makeup and I just can't always see nor reach in some of the ways I need.

And I don't know the first thing about styling wigs, so having different wigs to rent with costumes and/or wig supplies like brushes or caps (cause i'm always losing mine) as well as someone available to help fix hair issues perhaps?

this is a good idea as well!

In process Rachi Sitra (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)
In process Bespin Leia (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)

Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Sounds like it could work but as more a seasonal thing. Like if a convention came to town you might apply for a booth in the shopping area and advertise.

Could make some money but i don't think you could operate all year around.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]