View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Wrong Or Right 

Unread post Wrong Or Right
:| Right now there is a debate raging through the Australian costumers scene on Facebook about, certain people begging for money to Attend a fairly large convention. I wont go into the full details of the situation but outline it at least.

1st of there are two well known female costumers that do DC characters there costumes are not bad but like everything, it's always a work in progress. 1 of these costumers has begged for money on Facebook for no other reason then to attend a convention. The last one she did, i think it was Comic Con last year with the big group of harley's ( i not sure which one it was) and like saps on the Internet most of the fanboys from around the world, gave her plenty of money for travel, food and Accomodation.

Her friend has recently done the same thing, putting on a sad sob story of how she has had to sell her house, just to try and attend a convention.

ok Here's the issue i'm seeing if you can't afford to go to a convention then don't go ? The other issue i see is that those donations could go to more needy people, say the many 1000's of homeless men and women on the streets of sydney. Or to help people stop the spread of Aids or even any of the many wonderful childrens charitys like Starllight Foundation. As i posted on my Facebook, there are many familys struggling to pay the bills and even feed there familys.

I can name at least 10 other costumers who are in the same situation as this person, or worse that just live there lives quietly and wont harp on about how they are, suffering. And i know these people would never ask for money to attend a convention, there would't be an issue if was a case of her losing her home, or not having any foood at all or a place to sleep.

Anyway i think i have ranted enough on this situation if you would like to see the link on FB i'll post it up later. Just wanted peoples opinions on this ?

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:39 pm
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Wrong Or Right
If there is one lesson I have learned in life, it is this:

You cannot hear ANY answer, be it a yes/no/maybe/lengthy-response, if you never even ask.

I don't think it's wrong for them to ask, just as I don't think it's wrong for other people to decline their request.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:48 pm
Profile WWW

Unread post Re: Wrong Or Right
Nara Pel wrote:
I don't think it's wrong for them to ask, just as I don't think it's wrong for other people to decline their request.

I agree. I also dont think it's wrong if people accept their request. It is sad that people prefer to give money to hot chics rather than the suffering/needy. Unfortunately, that is the world we live in. Even if these fanboys didnt give these girls money, there is no guarantee that they'll give it to the needy. And it is their money to spend as they see fit. I know when I'm out with friends if I see a homeless person, I give them money and some of my friends find it is necessary to berate and admonish me for it. Their number one response is, "that person is just going to spend it on booze." My response is usually that it's my money and I'll spend it how I see fit and once I give it to someone it is now theirs to spend how they see fit and if that's on booze then so be it. If I were homeless I'd probably spend it on booze to. Sorry, but I'm going off on a tangent.

Anyway, I also agree with you Luciferian that people shouldn't live beyond their means or attend conventions that they cant afford but sadly not everyone thinks this way. These girls seem like the type to take advantage of others. Don't let it get you too upset because karma eventually catches up with people who think it's okay to use others...at least that's what I like to tell myself.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]