View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Sewing Vinyl 

Unread post Re: Sewing Vinyl
That headwrap looks awesome, Ryss! Great job!

Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:06 pm

I hate, hate, hate sewing vinyl. My machine hates it too, even with all the little tricks y'all mentioned. So I may end up handstitching all the topstitching on my head wrap and other vinyl pieces... unless anyone's got any other ideas.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:39 am

some vinyl is harder to work with than others. you might have just had a picky kind. I have sewn some that didn't need any tricks and some that needed every trick and was still awful. Different textures, backing and thickness make a difference. I have had the most problems with a thin vinyl that had no backing.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:52 am

The stuff I'm using is fairly thick and has a backing. No problem running it through when the vinyl sides are together, so construction seams aren't a problem, but the topstitching... OMG the topstitching SUCKS! And since I'll be beading it in addition, this is going to destroy my fingers. I wish I had a leather thimble.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:38 pm

From "More Fabric Savvy" by Sandra Betzina (i've checked this out from the library like 10 times:)
http://www.amazon.com/More-Fabric-Savvy ... 1561586625

Vinyl

Suitable for:

Upholstery projects, handbags, straight skirts, boxy jackets, vests and jean jacket trim. Make pants only if you always seem to feel cold. Avoid curved princess-style seams. Vinyl sticks to itself, making it difficult to sew two reverse curves together.

Sewing Tips:

Cut out a 1-in. square for feed dogs out of Teflon press sheet. Tape Teflon sheet to sewing table surface, with hole cut out over feed dogs. Tape to bed of machine. Fabric will now slide easily without sticking to the bed of the machine. Needle holes are permanent. Hold layers together with paper clips.

Layout:

Single thickness. Grainline is not important. Use pattern weights.

Thread:

Good quality polyester

Needle:

70/10 HJ or 70/10 H for thin weights
140/16 HJ for thicker weights
(there was a picture of a denim needle)

Stitch Length:

Use a long stitch (3.5mm) shorter stitches will weaken fabric

Presser Foot:

Teflon or roller foot. Loosen top tension slightly.

Seam Finish:

No overlocking as it stretches seam. Finger-press open and glue, or use double-sided leather tape.

Pressing:

Test scrap. Some vinyl melts even under a very low temperature iron and must be finger-pressed only. Others tolerate low-temperature iron on wrong side, using press cloth.

Top Stitching:

For lightweight vinyl, top-stitching is not recommended. On heavier weight vinyl, top-stitching can be quite attractive 1/4 in. from finished edge is needed to flatten edges. Use and N needle, 4.0mm length stitch and top-stitching thread.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:25 am

nice list of facts for sewing vinyl. I might have to try the teflon sheet covering the foot and the feed dogs at some point.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2