View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Lekku Wrappings 

Unread post Lekku Wrappings
So I dunno if anyone's brought up this question before, and it could be because I'm completely stumped on this, (Or it could be that my brain is going out the window because of my Anti-biotics I'm on).

But... My question is, "Lekku Wrappings" How do we do them?

Like do we just glue ribbon of the right color onto your lekku or do you make it so it's removable so you can use the lekku over again for another Twi'lek?

I'm just kinda stumped on this...and since I didn't a thread about it anywhere's else I thought to post it here.

Today is day: 136 with my Padawan braid.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:43 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Lekku Wrappings
When I use fabric wraps on my lekku, they tend to stay in place pretty well on their own. The leather wraps that I use for Aayla kept slipping down, though, so I tack those in place with dots of rubber cement. It holds the wraps in place very well, but it can also be peeled off when I want to reuse the headpiece for a different costume.

Or, sometimes I just wrap the fabric wraps right over the top of the leather and don't even bother to take off the wraps beneath it. For example, I wear Aayla for a while... then cover up the leather with some black or brown fabric strips, and go right back out again with a different outfit!

Pam :-)

Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:06 am

:shock: It's Pam! :D

Wow! I never expected to hear a reply from the awesome costuming genius Pam! Thank you! (My day has just been made!) Let's just say that Because I found your sight after poking around the Holonet for a while and looking things up about Twi'leks, that's why I joined up on the forums!

*Ahem* Anyways (Fangirling over now time for business!) :lol:

Hmm okay, so the fabric just clings to the latex? And...(Warning Shiny Alert!! Stupid question coming everyone's way!) Correct me if I'm wrong or if I really just need to pay more attention but. Do the lekku wrappings connect with the Head Wrap?

(I've never really payed that much attention to the top of the wrappings before...*Facepalm*) I feel like such a Shiny.

But covering up the wrappings sounds like a good idea! See! You are a genius Pam! :D

Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:28 am
Profile YIM

Some of the wraps do connect with the headpiece, and it's not really a stupid question :)

And some don't i geuss it really depends on what costume you are portraying or if your, doing something original. So if it's easier for you to have them connected do it if not don't all about trial and error !

Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:20 am

luciferian wrote:
Some of the wraps do connect with the headpiece, and it's not really a stupid question :)

And some don't i geuss it really depends on what costume you are portraying or if your, doing something original. So if it's easier for you to have them connected do it if not don't all about trial and error !

Hmm well Trial and Error is the name of the game!

And I'm probably gonna have to decide whether or not her lekku wrappings connect or not... hmm But since My lekku are gonna be made out of yarn (I'm almost finished too!) I'll see if I can get some Velcro (Just the clingy side) to attach to the ribbon and then hook it onto the yarn.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:54 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

LOL! Thanks. :-D

Here's how the pieces are put together on my lekku. Lekku wraps are tacked on with dabs of rubber cement, the other pieces are seperate, and held on with velcro. (Someday I really need to take some better pictures, with the cheek section raised up where it's supposed to be, or at least take the time to put up my hair first....)

Pam :-)

Mon May 02, 2011 4:51 am

Ohhh okay so that's how it's done!
Cool stuff! Thank you Pam!

Unfortunately the rubber cement on the lekku that I have right now would just destroy it, but velcro would probably work real well. (That is if it even works out right)

The only thing that's puzzling me (because I'm working...well was working...with yarn) is what to do for the chin strap! Other than that I should be good.

But I'm guessing for attaching the chin strap to the inside of the headpiece, good ol' rubber cement right?

Wed May 04, 2011 11:31 pm
Profile YIM

Elastic is great for a chin strap and you can stich it into the top of the headpiece. Can i make a sugestion of Snaps instead of velcro as well ? Because depending on how you insert them You can have the flat shiney side out and it will add to the look of the head piece :)

Thu May 05, 2011 12:31 am

For the Shado Vao headpieces I made, I sewed each 'crisscross' so they would stay in place, but these were made out of cloth. However if you are using a leatherette material, this can also be sewed. However again, you might be able to see the stitch as opposed to the fabric I used for the Shado Vao. Something you might try for leatherette is a small sticky back velcro patch on the top strap and sew on velcro for the bottom.

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Thu May 12, 2011 11:52 pm
Profile WWW

When I revisit my Mardi Gras twi'lek this summer, I'm going to make bead lekku wrappings, but I would definitely have to stitch those down I think.

Fri May 13, 2011 2:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]