View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Aayla Style Headwraps 
Site Admin

Unread post Aayla Style Headwraps
I made my Aayla headpiece in three parts, and use industrial strength velcro to hold everything in place. I purchased lambskins on ebay, then used one plain and one textured hide for the headwraps, and another plain hide for the strips of leather that wrap around the lekku. I attached the lekku wraps with a dab of rubber cement so they wouldn't slide off or come loose.

For the headwraps, here's what I use:

- The chin strap goes on first. It is most comfortable if you use something with a bit of stretch. It doesn't have to be really tight, since it is primarily used to hold the ear covers close against the sides of my face. (Otherwise they can shift and people will be able to see your ears under there.) A piece of velcro is used to hold each end of the strap onto the headpiece. It's more comfortable to attach the chin strap to the outside of the headpiece, but it looks better when you attach it to the inside.

- The next piece goes around the back to hide my ears and the bottom edge of the headpiece. I use a small piece of velcro in the back, and one over each ear to hold this piece in place.

- The wrap that goes around the forehead is last. This is the piece that holds the lekku in place. I have a larger piece of velcro in the back which holds the ends closed.

The most important thing to remember is to make a mockup with heavy fabric or paper first, and take all of the measurements and try-on sessions while you are wearing your lekku headpiece. (That's a learn-from-my-fail bit of advice... I made my first head wrap without the lekku on, and it turned out too small!)

Here's how it looks when it's all assembled.

You can see more pictures of the wraps and how I put them on here:

http://chucrew.com/Twilek/aaylasecura.html

This style can also be used with fabric... just put some interfacing in the back piece to hold it stiff.

Here's the exact same pattern, but it's made with black lycra fabric instead of leather. I sewed some gold accent stitches around the edges.

The forehead wrap...

And, the piece that goes around the back and holds the ear buds. This is the piece of my costume where I deviated the most from the Aayla references. I've never been fond of the way this piece goes so far down toward Aayla's chin... so when I made mine, I shortened and rounded the design. To make it more accurate, the edge near the jawline needs to be much longer and uhm... pointier.

Pam :-)

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:35 am

Unread post Re: Aayla Style Headwraps
Great! I definitely want to use real leather for my Aayla costume!

I made a set of children's lekku with Aayla headpiece for someone in England and he sent me this sketch which shows better detail of her headpiece then I have ever seen from photos (so long as it's taken directly from the movie costume itself since this is adapted for cartoon). Hope it helps!

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:44 pm
Profile WWW

Awesome pic! Lol its kinda hard to find a pic of Aayla from behind.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:44 pm
Site Moderator

I know Pam recommends rubber cement for holding straps on the lekku, but I broke down and hand-stitched mine tonight for the green pleather headwrap. I'm probably doing the same for my more Secura-like brown lambskin headwrap pieces tomorrow, and am working on an Astraal-style knit fabric wrap to go with a dressy outfit. The pleather just slips on and off now, fits nice and snug. Thank goodness for inks or I'd never even consider this, the water-based stuff is just too likely to be marred by trying to put the wraps on or take them off.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:15 am
Profile WWW

I have an important question please. Is it better to use the rubber cement or the stitching to attach the chin strap to the lekku?

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:58 pm

@grrljedi - Hopefully this info's not too late to help you. What I did for my chinstrap was this: I used contact cement to stick one side of the chinstrap (made of lambskin) onto the inside of the latex lekku just near the edge of the headpiece. The other side of the chinstrap attached to the opposite side of the lekku with velcro (which was contact cemented onto both the lambskin and the latex). Hope that helps!

Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:00 am

Thank you, Belladonna!

Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:07 am
Site Moderator

grrljedi wrote:
I have an important question please. Is it better to use the rubber cement or the stitching to attach the chin strap to the lekku?

In my case, since I use different straps for different headpieces (which are stitched so they slide on and off of the lekku like gloves or socks), I used Gorilla Glue to put small velcro pads on the inside of the lekku. I check them periodically but so far the stuff has held tight. Considering that I usually wear (and sweat in) my lekku several hours each month (demos, conventions, parties) I'm pretty impressed with all the materials involved.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:09 pm
Profile WWW

Here's a super-picky question:

On the lekku wraps, i am estimating that I'll need about a 3 yard strip of leather for each side. Obviously a little lamb is much smaller, so the the strip would need to be spliced in some way and the "breaks" likely hidden under the crossovers. I'm assuming the strips are just cut "flat" rather than with edges folded under like bias tape, in which case one could sew the splices.... like bias tape.

Am I correct? If so, I'm looking for any tips on the best way to splice and glue together the strips for a nice, sleek look. :)

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:31 am
Site Admin

Hi,

What you described is how I make my Aayla wraps. I cut the leather and glue it in place without folding the edges under. The splices are hidden under the crossovers of the wraps, or positioned on the underside where they wouldn't be very visible. I just overlap the pieces by about a half inch, and use rubber cement or contact cement to hold the two strips together.

Pam :-)

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next