View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Hood-type headwrap help? 

Unread post Hood-type headwrap help?
Hello, everyone! I have a vision for how I want to do my headwrap, but I'm having trouble finding a good pattern or tutorial online for how to make it happen. It's almost like a fetish hood or nun's habit. Basically it covers my whole head down to my neck (probably collar bone) and the face is cut out. Then I have a second headband piece to strap the earbuds on. Since I've gotten pretty comfortable with it and plan to sew the headwrap by hand, I'm going to use the same jersey matte that I have been for everything else. Here's a really quick sketch of what I'm thinking:

Any suggestions would be really helpful! Thanks! :)

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:37 pm

Unread post Re: Hood-type headwrap help?
Maybe can help you know that the name of this is "balaclava"
See images in google
https://www.google.es/search?q=balaclav ... 80&bih=642

use "balaclava pattern" search ;)

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:58 pm
Site Admin

There's a photo in this thread that shows how I fitted the jersey fabric for my Astraal wraps. I took a piece of fabric, draped it over my head, and pinned and snipped until it looked right. Then I took it apart, straightened the lines and made them even on both sides, and sewed it all together!

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=36

Pam :-)

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:09 pm

Thanks, Okashi! I found a few patterns I think I can modify to fit what I need.

A question to Pam: that's the look I'm going for, definitely. In regards to some of the patterns I found and some research I did before (when I was thinking of it more like a nun's wimple and coif) it seems to me there are a few ways to wrap and secure it. One approach is to drape and secure around the face (wimple). Another is to do as Okashi suggests and structure it more like a hat and (I assume) velcro/button/zip in back. The third I can think of is sort of a hybrid, where you drape top down, but then wrap and fasten. (I really hope that makes sense - I'm on cold mess today and my husband says I get weird on them lol!) I looked at your pics and I can't tell where you fastened it, or if it requires fastening at all.

Thanks again! I'm hoping to have a full getup ready for pics by the end of this month. :)

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:23 pm
Site Admin

I close the wrap in the front, under my chin. It has a section of velcro there to hold it closed, and then the high collar of my shirt hides a lot of the seam. There is a seam in the back that could be a zipper or velcro, but I chose the smaller area for the closure. Plus, when you look at the reference image that I posted in that thread, you can see the seam line down the front of her throat, so I figured it was a good place to put the closure.

Experiment a little with some scrap fabric, and figure out what you like the best!

Pam :-)

Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:29 am
Site Moderator

It's a wimple. I had to make one for my Darth Traya. I got patterns for mine from an old SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) book we picked up somewhere - looks like it'd be a pretty easy mod.

Tue May 01, 2012 6:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]