View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
How are headwraps attatched? 

Unread post How are headwraps attatched?
Are headwraps attached directly to the lekku itself, or are they just simply wrapped around the lekku? Also, do you have to have a chin strap to hold the headwrap and lekku on?

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:35 pm
Site Admin

Unread post Re: How are headwraps attatched?
I use dabs of rubber cement to attach the thin strips that wrap around the lekku for characters like Aayla. Without something like that, those thin strips of leather tend to come loose and start slipping off the lekku after wearing them a while.

I do not attach the forehead wraps to the lekku. I put on my headpiece, and then put on the forehead wrap over the top. I use a piece of industrial strength velcro in the back to hold it closed.

Whether or not you need a chin strap depends on how well your forehead wrap covers your ears. Since the chin strap is worn close to your face, it helps hold the sides of the forehead wrap in close against your skin. If you have a forehead wrap that tends to flex out away from your head and let people see your ears hiding under it, a couple pieces of velcro on the sides of a chin strap are all it takes to keep your ears from playing peekaboo. For my Aayla headpiece the chin strap is attached to my lekku, glued on one side, and velcro on the other. For my other headpieces, the chin strap is attached to the forehead wraps.

Pam :-)

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:00 am

That helped out a lot. Thanks, Pam! :D

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:49 am

Hi!

I need to add a chin strap to my lekku. They fit fine but I keep running towards mirrors in order to check if everything's in place.
What kind of glue did you use to glue the chin strap to yours, Pam?

Thanks!

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:59 pm
Site Admin

Even though I know that my headpiece and wraps stay in place well.... I imagine my husband gets tired of me asking him all the time if everything is straight!

It has been quite a few years since I glued on the chin strap, but I believe I used contact cement to hold one side in place. I put some cement on each side, let it dry, and then pressed the strap against the latex. The other side has pieces of industrial strength velcro to hold it closed.

Pam :-)

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:40 am

I had a lot of problems with my chin strap coming unglued from the ear flaps, but I found that Shoe Goo actually worked REALLY well! I haven't had to fix it ever since I made the swap. Disclaimer: My headwrap is made of leather, so those of you with fabric headwraps may have different results.

Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and other Sci/fi props & replicas at THGProps!

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:11 pm

I have to go with German products, still waiting for a parcel...
I believe I found something similar to contact cement - but I'm not sure. I'll keep you up to date :-)
Thanks.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:15 pm

Back from a long long break - finished my job apprenticeship, moved to a new place, started working full time...
But now it's time to get back to costuming since Celebration Europe will be in about two month!

Today I glued my chin strap to the head piece.
I used "Patex Kraftkleber Compact Gel" (German brand), a flexible glue.
Put it on to the latex and the chin strap (I use elastic band) on one side. Glued the velcro to the elastic band on the other side / the other velcro-piece to the lekku.
I'm not sure if Patex is suitable for latex though - the glued part became kind of soft - but it's back to normal consistency now.
Came off on first try, so I used a little bit more glue the second time. Seems rather solid now, so Patex is okay I guess... if it comes off again I'll try another brand.

Sun May 19, 2013 2:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]