View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
one piece headwrap guide 

Unread post one piece headwrap guide
I already typed this up once and lost it...so I apologize if this version is a little lacking, Ill try to be patient enough for the redo

After looking through hella pictures of Oola/Gella sisters style headbands I decided to make my own. I didnt want to practice and waste money using leather so I went to the red tag section of Joanns and brought home various 1/3 yard cuts of vinyl.

Before i started this project I didnt realize just how many types of vinyl there are. I got samples of every kind I could find and have made a head wrap out of each one. Aside from my sewing machine not loving the "stickier" versions each headwrap turned out fine.

This is my first attempt at any sort of tutorial so please be kind :)

1. First things first is cutting out the pieces! I have a tissue pattern that I drew to trace onto the vinyl to cut out my shapes. Keep in mind that pinning anything to the vinyl will leave a permanent hole. I basically set the tissue on the vinyl and put 2 or 3 pins in around the very edges (they will get trimmed off later so holes dont matter) and drew around it with a sharpie. Remove the tissue and cut. You need sharp scissors for this dull scissors will just twist the fabric and mar the vinyl. Cut 2 of the pattern and then lay the pattern over the top of the piece that will be the front and trace the 2 ear but openings. Cut out those 2 circles and you will have this.

The nice thing about using vinyl or leather is that it doesnt fray so there is no need finish the ear bud opening. The pain about vinyl is that some sewing machines dont like it. It can be sticky and get stuck to your foot or feed dogs. If it just gets a little stuck you can pull it through. If the sticking is worse you can put a layer of tissue paper between the vinyl and feed dogs and between the vinyl and foot - when you are done sewing it the tissue will just peel away. If the vinyl is only sticking to the foot you can put a piece of scotch tape on the bottom of the foot and cut a hole in it where the needle goes through.

2. Lay the 2 cut out pieces on top of each other - right sides together. Sew along the red line.

I have never been very good with following directions on seam allowances but I tried to show here what mine was. I measured it at a little less that 1/4 inch

finished seam

3. trim the excess vinyl from the seam. Once again, the nice thing is that leather and vinyl dont fray so you can trim it very close. If you forget this step or dont trim enough then the seam on the headband will look bulky.

ImageImage

4. turn the headband right side out. depending on the thickness of the vinyl this might be difficult. dont be afraid to be a little rough with it. You will have to really get your fingers or a pen and push it into the seams to get them to turn all the way out.

close up of the lumps

5. with the piece turned right side out top stitch over the seam you just made. Top stitches are usually used as decoration. Since the headband is made of 2 layers of thick material we are using the topstitch to keep both layers together and laying flat. all of the top stitching that you are using in this pattern is visible - so be careful and keep your distance from the edge even.

when you do this stitch you will need to go slowly and make sure the seams get pushed all the way out. I tried to take pictures of this be careful not to sew your fingers!

ImageImage

finished topstitch

6. Flip your headband over so that you are looking at the back. trim 1/4" from the top of the back piece. the more you trim the narrower the headband will be.

ImageImage

7. This step is optional depending on the ear buds you are using. I have lekku and ear buds made by the talented Pam and I didnt want to smoosh them through the ear holes. I put a cutting mat corner between the the 2 layers of the headband with the back facing up. Using a razor I cut a 3.5" slit in the back of the headband above each ear hole. This slit allows me to slide the ear but in the back without smooshing.

ImageImage

8. If you are going to add any sew on decorations or studs you will want to do it before this step. That way any stitching or studs will be inside the headwrap instead of visible on the back.

Finish the top seam by folding the front piece over the back (the part that was trimmed) and stitching in place. This is a structural and top stitch all in one - so once again be careful.

finished view from the back. there may be puckers or places where you missed the front flap but it doesnt matter - no one will see this.

finished seams front view

9. time to try it on! Make sure to do all your fittings with your lekku on.

i finished the top flap by folding over the end and sewing it down

I used stick on velcro to attach my ends together.

this is the headband i was working on in the pictures.

Here is the first one in this style that I made (its still my favorite) forgot to clip off the end on one pic.
ImageImageImage

red version

These I made similar to how Pam makes her Aayla headwrap. Once I get this pattern perfected I will post a guide if anyone is interested.
ImageImageImage

I will be working on an Alema Rar style headwrap next - but im out of velcro atm...

If anyone has any questions or improvements upon my design i would love to hear them! If you dont feel your sewing skills are up to the task I dont mind doing commission pieces. I still have a variety of vinyl on hand if you want to see samples or if you have a specific fabric/color/style change that you would like I would be happy to help.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:54 am

Unread post Re: one piece headwrap guide
P.S. i can also scan a copy of the pattern or mail you a tissue paper copy if you dont want to draw up your own :)

Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:02 am
Site Admin

Fantastic! Great job on the wraps, AND the tutorial. Thank you for posting that... I bet it will help a lot of Twi'lek costumers!

Pam :-)

Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:32 am

Yes, very good tutorial! :)

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:20 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks so much! I really needed a tutorial and this one is very useful. Now my headwrap will be much better then the crappy one I've made in the past.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:43 pm

I'm using this tutorial as a basis to make my head wrap (thanks so much by the way! I'd be utterly lost without this!) and my lovely boyfriend came up with a good idea for keeping the two pieces of vinyl together to sew seams. because we were both kinda of terrified of pinning it because of the holes, he thought of using double sided tape to tape the two pieces together in the middle, so that they move together through the sewing machine. The tape itself is not all that sticky (read: cheap) so it's easy to peel off. I thought I'd pass it on, it's a great way to keep your fabric together without making unnecessary holes.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:47 am
Site Moderator

Fabric glue (which as near as I can tell is standard white Elmer's style glue) also works, just let it dry enough to get tacky before pressing the glue-covered sides together.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:47 pm
Profile WWW

i didnt use any pins and with most of my vinyl had no problems with the pieces moving separately. some types of vinyls are just sticky though and will have more issues. If you are in a position that you absolutely have to use pins, you can blow dry the area with the holes and smooth it over with your hands and it will "melt" the holes a bit smaller. definitely test this on some scraps before you ruin the piece you've been working on tho!

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:51 pm

This tutorial helped me so much, thank you! :)

Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:14 pm

This tutorial is awesome. It's just what I needed for my head wrap for my mardi gras twi'lek!

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next