View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
2 piece headwrap guide 

Unread post 2 piece headwrap guide
I had so much fun making up my first guide i had to make this one too (and i took the pictures for one more...)

This headwrap is similar (or might be the same as) Pam's Aayla headwrap. I used vinyl again for this pattern but it is workable for other fabrics or leather. This vinyl is a "marine vinyl" from Joanns. If anyone is interested in knowing how to finish the ear holes for a fabric that frays I would be happy to post something on that also.

I realize that I may have a very unnecessary amount of pictures. I tried to explain everything so that someone without much sewing experience might understand the nonsense that is my thoughts...

If you have any questions for if im just plain confusing please feel free to ask me whatever you need!

This is the finished headwrap

ImageImage

Below is the only pattern piece i used. I tried to take a picture as flat as i could so that you could just blow it up to the size you want. If you want an exact copy of mine i can scan it or mail you a tissue copy.

on the back of the vinyl draw a rectangle that measures 3"x25" and one that measures 5"x25". if you have a bigger head you might want to make it longer :) Also draw 2 of the pattern piece . The ear holes only need to go on one of the pieces.

cut all the pieces out. take both earflap pieces and put lay them on top of each other right sides together. sew along the red line making sure to enforce the beginning and ending seams. unlike my squiggly red lines try to keep your seam allowance a bit more consistent :) mine were just under 1/4"

flip the ear flap piece inside out.

the vinyl that i used was pretty thick. so when i flipped it out it was very puffy.
try to get the earflap seams pushed out as far as you can. the thicker the piece is the more annoying this can be. I tried to take pictures showing what i meant...

ImageImage

Next is to top stitch on the outside of the earflap. this will make sure that the pieces lay flat. When you are doing the top stitching keep pushing the seams out as you go to make sure its not funny shaped when you are done. top stitch along the red line

finished top stitch

the ear flap is done! the top seam of the ear flap is left open so that i can easily insert and remove my ear buds without squishing them. If you use a fabric that frays you might want to finish that edge before sewing the 2 pieces together or use fray check of nail polish to prevent unraveling.

now for the headband

pick up the 5"x25" strip and fold it in half - wrong sides together - and sew down the raw edge.

ImageImage

finished seam

take the 3"x25" piece and lay it right side down about 1/4 inch inside the seam you just made.

ImageImage

sew along the 3" strip attaching it on the side closest to the 5" pieces' seam (that sounds really confusing...sorry)

finished seam (i have bigger pictures if you want them)

flip the 3" strip up and over the top of the 5" strip so that the right side of the vinyl on both pieces is sewing.

Then flip the extra fabric of the 3" strip behind the 5" strip so that no raw edges show. once again...sounds confusing. i hope the pictures help.

ImageImage

with the right side of the head band showing sew along the upper edge (of all the fabric you just folded over). I used a large stitch for this because i used vinyl and these stitches will be visible from the front - so be careful. If you do not want any seams showing you could also do this step with glue (im not a glue expert but im sure there is vinyl glue)

finished seam from the front

and from the back

trim any excess fabric that extends beyond the seam

back of seams after trimming

try on the headband (with your lekku on) and attach your velcro. snip off any vinyl that extends beyond the velcro.

on the ear flaps attach a piece of velcro in the back center. if you have a chin strap you can also attach some velcro on the sides to help hold the flap down. the vinyl i used was so heavy it held its shape pretty well even without the extra velcro.

I attached a piece of stick on velcro to the very back of my lekku (i used the soft side so it wont mess up any other costume pieces)

To put on the finished headwrap start by attaching the ear flap to the back of your lekku

then wrap the headband over the top and secure in the back

finished!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:28 am

Unread post Re: 2 piece headwrap guide
Thanks Kulu and you do not have an unnecessary amount of pictures. I love the pictures! I need the pictures so thanks again. :D

Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:09 pm

When vinyl puffs like that, it helps to heat it a little with a hair dryer or heat gun and press it flat.

I love this tutorial, thanks for posting it. I love the depth the vinyl gives to your head wraps.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:51 pm

ive laid my vinyl out in the sun before to get the wrinkles out but i never thought to uses a blow dryer! duh! thanks for the tip!

Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:54 am

haha no prob! i actually got the idea from making vinyl boot covers!

Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:24 pm

I made my own using this guide! i found a leather looking vinyl in the remnants at Joanns (always a goldmine!!!) and just HAD to make one! I embellished it with pyramid studs to give it a more finished look :) This is a nice start to my custom character!

ps. no ears yet. i didn't forget them, i just haven't made them yet!

Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:39 pm

that looks great! I love how you lowered the ear flap piece. I am going to have to track down some studs for my Oola head wrap. where did you get yours?

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:24 pm

I recycled them from a studded belt! I order most of my embellishments from jansjewels.com but i didnt see any like oola's round ones. you can also try studsandspikes.com.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:32 pm

That looks awesome!

You can also get studs/rivets/etc. at Tandy.

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:24 am
Profile WWW

OOh cool! i didnt know they sold studs there too! i never actually looked for them there :P

Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next