View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Alema Rar style head wrap 

Unread post Alema Rar style head wrap
This headwrap is the most complicated of the 3 that I have done not so much in that it is difficult but that it is more time consuming and has more pieces involved. The pictures that I took for this guide was during my first attempt at this headwrap (i was feeling lucky) and i made some revisions that i will explain if my pictures dont match 100%.

I experimented with a different way of doing the headband part of the headwrap (different from the 2 piece wrap) the end result should have been a less bulky (not that the original was exceptionally bulky) version but all the work and extra seams showing just wasnt worth it. Therefore i have copied and pasted the headband part of of the 2 piece tutorial in here for the headband of this head wrap :)

I think I said this in the other 2 that i wrote as well but i will say it once more. If you need help with this, have any improvements upon this or dont think you have the necessary skills or patience to make this please let me know and i would be happy to help you out! lol i have mooched so much help so far from you all that I am considering these party of my repayment :)

you will need 2 pattern pieces for this head wrap. I took a picture of them below and below the picture is a link to a larger version. I you want to make this head wrap you can just blow up the picture to the size that you want and print it out. if you want a copy of it the exact size of the head wrap that i made i would be happy to mail you a tissue pattern

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e322/ ... e91008.jpg

you will need to cut out 4 of each of these pieces. be careful when you trace your pattern. both the tutorials i posted before had symmetrical patterns so it didnt matter which way you traced them. these pieces are not symmetrical so you will need to trace the pattern 2 times with the same side up, then flip it and trace it 2 more times. this goes for both pattern pieces. you will also need to cut out one 3"x25" piece and one 5"x25" piece. If you think your head is bigger than mine you might want to make those pieces a little longer than 25"

(the rectangle pieces shown here are both 5"x25". oops)

I suggest taking the ear flap and brow pieces and pairing them up - wrong sides together - to make sure that you did indeed flip over you pattern so that you will have matching pieces (I had to redo a couple of the brow pieces)

Head band directions:

pick up the 5"x25" strip and fold it in half - wrong sides together - and sew down the raw edge.

ImageImage

finished seam

take the 3"x25" piece and lay it right side down about 1/4 inch inside the seam you just made.

ImageImage

sew along the 3" strip attaching it on the side closest to the 5" pieces' seam (that sounds really confusing...sorry)

finished seam (i have bigger pictures if you want them)

flip the 3" strip up and over the top of the 5" strip so that the right side of the vinyl on both pieces is sewing.

Then flip the extra fabric of the 3" strip behind the 5" strip so that no raw edges show. once again...sounds confusing. i hope the pictures help.

ImageImage

with the right side of the head band showing sew along the upper edge (of all the fabric you just folded over). I used a large stitch for this because i used vinyl and these stitches will be visible from the front - so be careful. If you do not want any seams showing you could also do this step with glue (im not a glue expert but im sure there is vinyl glue)

finished seam from the front

and from the back

trim any excess fabric that extends beyond the seam

back of seams after trimming

try on the headband (with your lekku on) and attach your velcro. snip off any vinyl that extends beyond the velcro.

Ear flaps:

pair an ear flap set with right sides together. sew along the red line with about 1/4" seam allowance. make sure to reinforce your seam at the beginning and the end.

trim seams close to the stitching. if you are using a material that frays leave more space.

ImageImage

turn the ear flap right side out. my ear flaps are very puffy because i once again used that thick marine vinyl (what can i say it was cheap and good for experimenting). because of the narrow shape of the ear flap it can be difficult to turn right side out. i had to use a pen on the inside to poke out the corners.

with the piece right side out top stitch along the outer edge (keeping the top open). since this piece is so narrow be careful to keep the top stitch close to the edge. If you get to close to the ear bud opening you might have trouble (if you have ear buds made by Pam) getting the bud to fit all the way in. after top stitching all the puffiness should be gone :)

repeat all these steps for the other ear flap.

Brow Pieces:

pair your brow pieces with right sides together

sew along the red lines (only straighter) with about 1/4" seam allowance

flip the piece right side out. once again its very puffy

top stitch all the way around the outer edge. there is no reason to keep a side open on this piece.

repeat for both sets

Assembly:

now its velcro time! I tried my head wrap on several times before deciding on the final positioning of my velcro. I put the soft pieces on the headband piece so that the headband would be usable with other pieces without scratching. i also left the velcro pieces on the head band extra long to allow me to reposition the ear flaps and brow pieces

trim the extra bits above the velcro off of the ear flaps and brow pieces (sorry no pic) and assemble the head wrap. as you can see from the pictures i left plenty of room to be able to move the pieces around.

ImageImage (ack my feet!)

finished! i swear that i took more finished pictures but apparently my phone is not cooperating and declined to save them :(

ImageImage

Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:10 am

Unread post Re: Alema Rar style head wrap
P.S. sorry about the huge pictures...

Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:12 am
Site Moderator

Big pictures are good, they show detail. Thanks for the tutorials, Kulu!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:25 pm
Profile WWW

Yes, thanks for the tutorial and big pictures are nice! I'm working on several headbands this weekend so if I need any help, I'll definitely PM you but I think I'll be okay because of the tutorials you have posted.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:14 pm

Wow, this is super great! I'm making my headwrap later this week (my very first headwrap. . . ), so this tutorial is quite helpful - thanks! :)

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:36 pm

There is a big sale this weekend at Joanns! It goes Aug 6-8th. All the home dec. fabric on the rolls are 60% off. The vinyl isnt marked but when i had them scan it even the really nice $34.99/yard vinyl came up on sale. This stuff is very pliable and feels like my boyfriend's mom's leather couch :) you only need 1/4 to 1/3 of a yard for any of the head wraps. (I got some in black, brown and white :)

since it isnt marked it could have been some random fluke so make sure to have them scan it before its cut! It would suck to end up paying $10 for a scrap of vinyl

Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:40 am

Awesome,

I thought I'd share the design I used for Alema.

Im pretty happy with this design and scaling. Its a little less complex and still works well in my opinion.

The ear holes will need to be sized for pam's supplied ears if you are using hers I made slightly bigger ones.

Using velcro attached to the front of the lekku and also on the inside front of the headband will keep it in place through almost anything and stop it sliding back.

Action shot (we had the lekku on for 7 hours straight on a bit of a bender one night, was pretty wild)

A

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:24 am

Aww you guys look great! Good idea with velcro.

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]