View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Kats funtastic adventures with fibreglass ( Updated ) 

Unread post Kats funtastic adventures with fibreglass ( Updated )
Kats fantastical fibre glassing adventures

Part One

Getting started:

I will keep this short and sweet, getting started and organizing materials is the most important thing to good fibre glassing.

What you will need is 1 metre of fibre glass
Tin of Resin
1 bottle of harder
Some cheap brushes
A large plastic container
Foil
Scissors
Permanent maker
Ruler
Acetone!

Step 1. Pick what you want to fibreglass; here is my piece of work foam shin guard for my Voldo costume.

Step 2. Cutting the fibreglass mat, with a sharp pair of scissors and the permanent marker measure out strips of fibreglass and cut the strips out.

(Cutting the strips the size required is very important, you do not get excess hanging off the edges when it sets and there is less sanding to do. Depending on what piece you are making you can lie it flat on the fibreglass and trace around it similar to a sewing pattern, then cut out and apply I only suggest doing this if you have a bit of experience with it)

Step 3. After cutting out your pieces to the desired size put, those aside in order so you do not use the wrong pieces, for larger or smaller area’s trust me it can happen and it is a pain in the arse.

Step 4. Mixing resin and setting agent, this is one of the most important bits if you get it wrong, it won’t set correctly and it will be an expensive waste of time.

With the plastic container put a couple layers of foil in and around, the edges of the container to hold resin. Get the said bottle of harder it is a tiny bottle and like the resin, a little will go a long way.

When buying your fibre glass ask the shop assistant questions, if your not sure most places give you instructions. But ask how much harder you would need for your type of resin they are really helpful so don’t be afraid to ask. 

Once you know how much you need half the dosage for your 1st time, because the resin and harder will set incredibly fast, so half it and it wont react as fast gives you more time to practice applying everything.

Don’t forget to mix it really well use a stick an old useless paint brush it won’t really matter as long as it’s mixed correctly.

(Where ever you are living in this big wide world working on a Sunny day is the best idea, if your summers are anything like Australian weather I suggest getting up early getting everything prepped and applied then leave in the sun for the hottest part of the day, sunburn and chemicals are no fun)

(When putting resin in the container try not to spill it everywhere because it is a pain in the arse to clean up everywhere also a little will go a long way.)

Step 5: Get your piece of cut fibreglass and a shitty old brush (put on a pair of gloves if you need too) lay it flat on the item, dip the brush in resin mix and apply evenly all over the piece of fibreglass, until its completely covered and stuck to the item. Then repeat the process till your item is covered. ( note: If your fibreglass slips it will happen, don’t freak out to much you can always come back and go over it again once it is set, if you do have a bit of over hang, just use any excess resin and fold the edges over onto the other side, and dab them till they stick )

Leave in the sun for a full day till it hardens and bobs your uncle you have just fibre glassed your 1st piece of costume!

This is only the 1st part of it but the basics of fibre glassing are really simple once you have a go you can experiment with other things 

Last edited by luciferian on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:55 am

Unread post Re: Kats funtastic adventures with fibreglass
Looking forward to your tutorial.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:31 am

Unread post Re: Kats funtastic adventures with fibreglass
There may be a slight delay in the tut our weather is really crazy atm.

Update:

Weather has finally come good i have a bit of suburn but finally got to start working on stuff enjoy the 1st part of the Tutorial, will write up a 2nd one in the next week or so if not after xmas due to work :)

Hope everyone has a lovely Xmas !

Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]