View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Glasses (the seeing kind, not the drinking kind, lol) 

Unread post Glasses (the seeing kind, not the drinking kind, lol)
I wear glasses, and it might still be a bit before I can get new contacts. I am worried that my Twi'lek will look stupid with glasses, lol! I'll probably just take them off for pictures, but I really, really need them to see where I'm going. Any ideas on how to disguise them??? I'm on a super budget for right now, but am trying to come up with something before a con in two weeks. I was going to get big goggles, and just wear them over my glasses, but can't afford it for this one.

I'll probably just have to deal, but thought I'd see if anyone might have a stroke of genius :)
(thank you, spell checker, for making me feel dumb for spelling genius wrong, lol!)

Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:50 pm

Unread post Re: Glasses (the seeing kind, not the drinking kind, lol)
I would think that it would not matter too much if you wear ordinary glasses. All you have to do is just incorporate it into your character and you have glasses!

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:18 pm

I know what you mean. I too wear glasses to see and haven't had the time or funds go explore the contacts option.

Unfortunately I can't wear my glasses with my lekku. I have to wear them over my ears or they'll fall off, so I can't wear my glasses with them. If your lekku can accommodate them, you can just incorporate them into your design until you have the opportunity to get some contacts.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:31 pm

There was a Jedi and wondercon yesterday who put a strip of cloth over his eyes/glasses like he was blind. It looked pretty good.

Maybe some type of Visas Mar veil.

Or a star wars looking bird cage veil like this

Or use craft foam to goggle-ify your real glasses. (I think thats my favorite idea)

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:37 pm
Site Moderator

Actually there's no way to give a Twi'lek (or most aliens in any setting) glasses. Apparently people in the future or a long time ago in a galaxy far far away have never been near-sighted or astigmatic.

You can use a Verpine Headband or Lobot type thing (materials will cost you around $40 to make, in which case you MIGHT be better off trying to get a free sample pair of contact lenses somewhere), though - and you can anchor it to a standard Twi'lek headwrap well enough that nobody is any the wiser.

One of our Sith fellows uses a steampunk grid-visor to cover his glasses. http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.89217929.jpg (though his are black, silver and red) These aren't so awesome for fighting in because they block peripheral vision, but they do work well for normal costuming and you can easily pop the 'flame' part off of some LED candles and tape the battery/bulb on the underside so that you have "BlinkinLights" wherever there are gromets. Keep in mind that a lot of the etsy.com prices are steep, and you can usually get what you want at the convention for about $30 from most steampunk and leather goods vendors.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]