View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Getting Hair Into a Wig Cap 
Site Admin

Unread post Getting Hair Into a Wig Cap
This is the method I use for putting my hair in a wig cap. Over the years I've tried ponytails, but didn't like the lump of the rubberband under my headpiece, or the way my hair tended to get pulled right there when the lekku pulled backwards on it. I also tried little buns, and braids, but again it made lumps, and pulled. So, this is what I've been doing for the past four years or so, and it seems to work pretty well, with my hair going from shoulder to belt length and back again. (I let it grow long, chop for a donation, then let it grow long again.) This is the way I put my hair up under my Mara and Baroness wigs, too.

First, I set out a wig cap within easy reach, laying flat. (Just to show how detail fixated I am, I usually make sure the wig cap is inside out when I put it down. It really doesn't make any difference at all, but I tend to worry about silly details!)

Then, I part my hair down the middle. (It doesn't have to be exact.)

Take one side, and loosly wrap it across the back, around the side, across the front, and back around the other side if need be. The goal is to make it lay flat against my head, not twisted into a coil. Hold this in place with one hand, focusing on the ends, which are the most likely to slide back out of place.

Still using one hand to hold that first wrap in place, take hold of the remaining hair with the other hand. Wrap that section of hair in the opposite direction that the first wrap was made.

Still using one hand to hold the pair of wraps in place, slide the other hand into the hair net.

Then, switch your grip so that the hand with the hair net is holding both wraps in place.

Use the free hand to pull the wig cap down, easing it over the wrapped hair. (Now you know why I made sure it was inside out to start. Now the seam is on the inside. Woo!)

Tuck up any stray hairs, and smooth down any lumps under the wig cap. It's pretty easy to readjust the hair under the cap to make it lay flat.

Costume geek in a wig cap!

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:37 am

Unread post Re: Getting Hair Into a Wig Cap
Thanks Pam!!! This looks like it will work much better than what I've been trying, I've been practicing with the ponytail at the nape for the past couple days, and my head starts to get sore where the elastic band is at. I'm gonna go try it right now!

Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:12 pm

Unread post Re: Getting Hair Into a Wig Cap
I have really long hair and I was wondering how I would hide them all. I will certainly refer to this when the time comes for me to make some lekku. Thank you :D

Please take a look at my pictures :D

Tue May 24, 2011 3:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]