View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
The "Barefoot" look - how do you get it? 
Site Moderator

Unread post The "Barefoot" look - how do you get it?
For some costumes, bare feet are a must: River Tam, Claudia Wolf (or Dahlia Gillespie), any number of anime/manga girls.

Some of these (like the manga girls) you can put on flats (like those hospital slippers) under a pair of tight. Others, not so much.

What do you guys do for stuff like that?

I personally favor use of Pros-Aide (it's a medical adhesive) and clear/invisible elastics strategically placed (to loop around a couple of toes and around the ankle) on a clear foot-shaped gel insert OR something called the Topless Sandal. The latter is really easy to use but they only come in colors, so they usually have to be trimmed to be less visible and they don't look very convincing most of the time.

I'm looking for better choices.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:32 am
Profile WWW

Unread post Re: The "Barefoot" look - how do you get it?
I know some girls use clear pumps, mules, or flats (ebay shoes will show a number of results if you try 'clear shoes' as your search, although a fair number look like platform stripper shoes :roll: )
The clear platform stilettos look great on angelic characters who are supposed to be 'floating'. Of course any 'non-floating' characters will just look like they're walking on their toes barefoot :P

'Jelly flats' or 'clear sandals' are other search options, most have decorations that should be able to be removed.
You can either leave the visible clear parts as-is, or use skin-tone paint to reduce the shine of the plastic and make the plastic match your skin (but then you don't necessarily need clear tops on the shoes to begin with if you're painting them to match your skin).
Many ballet shoes and other dance shoes are skin-tone to give the impression of the dancer being barefoot - I had some 'camel coloured tap-dance shoes' when I did dancing, from a distance I looked barefoot, but then it depends how close you want people to get before they realise you're wearing something.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:53 am
Profile WWW

A friend of mine painted her feet with liquid latex over moleskin for her Kida (Disney's 'Princess' from Atlantis: the Lost Empire) costume. Not sure how well it would hold up being continuously outside or on rough pavement but for inside the convention center it worked great, you couldn't tell anything was out of the ordinary about her feet unless she lifted them for inspection, she still had traction. And at the end of the day it peeled right off, but she did make sure to have a strong anti-bacterial soap on hand to wash her feet and hands afterwards.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:14 am
Site Moderator

Liquid latex over moleskin seems like the best idea I've heard so far.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:47 pm
Profile WWW

I'd keep the PA though with it :)

I made my Shaak Ti with sandles as opposed to trying for the total barefoot look. But if I wear her again i'll be hunting out some replacement sole material and making a splitsole with toes and PAing them to my feet. possibly with clear straps in the places where they are hidden.

By split sole I mean like the lovely speccy split sole dance shoes (I have jazz and ballet flats from my dance classes but they are plain soled) so that the solid pieces are over the heel and ball but the arch is not covered. I think I can make a splitsole with toes using replacement shoes soles, fine leather and lots of Shoe Goo (which is exactly the same thing as E6000, not even a difference in viscosity) then will use PA to hold them to my feet. I may also use strapping tape on the top of the sole so that I can remove the PA easily. The glue will adhere to the tape rather than the leather ;)

For a random photoshoot I'd just wear the barefeet but conventions etc. usually require footwear.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I wonder if something like this could be trimmed down so that they don't stick out past your feet quite so much. They're definitely not invisible, but they are less visible than standard sandals!

http://stickysandals.com/index.html

Pam :-)

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:43 am
Site Moderator

Yeah, those are the same as the Topless Sandals, the 'nude' disposables look promising.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

http://www.solerra.com/solerra-sticky-f ... ndals.html as well.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:32 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Nara Pel wrote:
http://www.solerra.com/solerra-sticky-feet-strapless-sandals.html as well.

And of all the ones I've tried so far over the last week, this is the winner. I ran around in the rained-on lawn/yard, the hot driveway, the rocks, walked to the store and back. I haven't been on an escalator yet.

6+ hours and no cracking, peeling, curling, splitting etc.; I was able to trim the sandal easily with scissors. Good price, too, if one is ordering a few pairs.

Update: I went out in the world and did errands, including various types of shopping, lots of walking around in parking lots etc.; at just over 10 hours, the soles remained flexible and firmly attached. The adhesive dries quickly once exposed to air, so after the protective cover is removed, get 'em on your feet quickly.

Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:34 pm
Profile WWW

A friend sent me this awesome tutorial for making cheap invisible shoes that you guys might like. I'll be trying this way out soon! :P
http://andsewingishalfthebattle.com/invisible-shoes

Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]