View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Realistic airbrushing (for showing lots of skin) 
Site Moderator

Unread post Realistic airbrushing (for showing lots of skin)
Basically anyone who has ever had a fake'n'bake tan airbrushed on them knows how this works: two shades, one only SLIGHTLY darker than the other.

Showing abdomen and back? You can very lightly apply the darker shade at the waist (front, side and back) to make a female body seem more hourglass. Males, yes you can airbrush a sixpack for yourself if you don't feel like you have one. Females, unless you are quite fit, don't even try the sixpack airbrush, it always looks fake on a woman. (The only way to get a sixpack look for a chick is to earn it, it seems. And very few do.)

Showing upper arm? Again, you can very lightly contour definition with the slightly darker color, but only if it is airbrushed and only if it is just a hint darker. I don't want to name any names but I saw a FANTASTIC classic X-Men Mystique... except the effect was ruined by too-dark (way, way too dark) contour makeup on her arms.

Showing leg? Ladies, a highlighter (especially something with a little shimmer or luminosity - Makeup Forever makes a lot of this in a variety of colors. Loose powder is usually okay.) run down front and back of legs lends length and definition; unlike the waist, you don't darken the sides, it looks unnatural from a side or 3/4 view. Guys usually have leg hair so this is harder - though I can't think of too many con-worthy male costumes that'd show much skin on a guy. (The ones I can think of, the guys wearing them don't usually need any makeup help for definition.)

Not sure if your colors are too dark/too light? Pretty easy actually: spray the main color on a small piece of paper towel (or something else flexible) so that the piece is fully, evenly colored. Then switch colors and, starting at an edge of the test swatch, evenly apply it so that the edge and a couple cm or 3/4" are evenly colored. Then lightly apply the color so it fades out, like a sunset effect, til you reach the center. Wait til it dries. Bring the two edges together to form the swatch as a small tube. Turn it around in your hand - when the edges/seam is hidden, the shading between the colors should almost trick the eye into seeing only one bold color. You should notice the color difference only when you lay the swatch out flat, or turn the tube again to view the seams. (This trick is also good for checking paint for your home projects.)

EDIT: dyslexic twi'lek is dyslexic

Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]