View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Delicate fabric and avoiding unsightly seams 
Site Moderator

Unread post Delicate fabric and avoiding unsightly seams
Apparently clear nail polish at the edges of fine fabrics will hold it in shape quite well without having to hem the fabric. It may need to be periodically re-applied, but it's nice to know that that fragile-looking edges in some of the comic book/EU costumes don't need to be hemmed. It's an application of the 'I have a run in my nylons oh noes!' trick that I had not previously considered.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:51 pm
Profile WWW

Unread post Re: Delicate fabric and avoiding unsightly seams
Good tip. I have also used a product called Dritz Fray Check. Description says: Colorless liquid-plastic solution. Withstands dry cleaning and machine washing.

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Delicate fabric and avoiding unsightly seams
I've used both tricks over the years, and I've found that you need to be cautious when bending or folding the fabric where the fray check or polish has been applied. They both stiffen the fabric, and the threads can actually break in half if bent too much. Granted, the fabric will still stay in the right shape, but a hole can develop in that spot. As long as the fabric is treated gently, though, it's fine.

(He he... I've also learned that fiberglass resin and super glue drips on cloth do the same thing... but that's another story!)

Pam :-)

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]