View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Stencils: different methods of making them for your tattoos 
Site Moderator

Unread post Stencils: different methods of making them for your tattoos
I buy those cheap clear plastic report covers like these: http://www.staples.com/Staples-Clear-Fr ... rea=SEARCH then print out on normal paper the design I want to use, in the size I want to use.

I cut the report cover down the spine/fold in center.

Then I put the print-out on a cutting board, put half of the clear report cover over it (so that the edges all line up) and use an x-acto knife to cut out the design.

You CAN just hold the stencil in place on your skin and use the airbrush over it, but I usually do my own makeup so I use a stencil adhesive spray. To use it, you LIGHTLY spray the underside of the stencil and apply it to the area that needs the design. Then you use your airbrush (you CAN use body inks or water-based make-up applied with a brush, but it goes on kind of thick) and GENTLY, very gently, tug at the edges of the stencil til it comes off.

The stencil can be re-used, though I suggest cleaning the adhesive off periodically.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Stencils: different methods of making them for your tatt
If anyone has other methods for this, or knows of great places for designs or pre-made stencils, please post 'em!

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I've been tempted to use adhesive stencils (and even have some adhesive blanks on hand, but haven't used them yet), but I've been concerned about putting the adhesive over already painted skin. For example, if I had painted my face blue, and wanted to stencil a black design on my cheek... would the stencil damage the blue paint around the black design?

Sooner or later I need to try it out... just haven't gotten there yet!

Pam :-)

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:03 pm
Site Moderator

Twi'lek Pam wrote:
I've been tempted to use adhesive stencils (and even have some adhesive blanks on hand, but haven't used them yet), but I've been concerned about putting the adhesive over already painted skin. For example, if I had painted my face blue, and wanted to stencil a black design on my cheek... would the stencil damage the blue paint around the black design?

That depends on a number of factors, but largely, the answer is 'no'. If you're using alcohol-based ink, that stuff is designed in the first place to stand up to the rigors of stenciling and most everyday stuff - like with your blue feet that were still blue a week later.

If you're using water-based makeup, you may get better results by having another person around to help you hold the stencil in place while doing the hand painting or airbrushing.

Either way, remember, you're supposed to be using a very light amount of adhesive and if there's enough on the stencil to rip off make-up, there was enough adhesive on there to rip up skin and hair.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:39 pm
Profile WWW

Nara Pel, my husband is making our stencils & his plan is basically the same as yours except he is using poster board instead of the clear plastic.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:25 am
Site Moderator

kina wrote:
Nara Pel, my husband is making our stencils & his plan is basically the same as yours except he is using poster board instead of the clear plastic.

You guys are skipping the adhesive, I would expect? Paper products can tear off with and stay on the skin with the adhesive.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:22 pm
Profile WWW

Nara Pel wrote:
kina wrote:

You guys are skipping the adhesive, I would expect? Paper products can tear off with and stay on the skin with the adhesive.

He hasnt told me rather or not he is using adhesive but I assumed he was. I figured it would make it easier to spray on the tat without worrying about the other person not holding on to the board firmly enough or their fingers getting in the way. I'll let him know about the clear plastic as an alternative. It seems more practical especially for reuse.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:14 pm

Ok so looks like these are all old threads so not sure if anyone looks at them or if this is the right place for this lol feel free to move if not!

. I am doing a Darth Talon variant and wanted to share a trick that I discovered for the body tattoos. Buy temporary tattoo paper! That is what I am doing for an upcoming convention. Did a test run and they printed out (regular cheap old home printer) with nice sharp lines and I was able to have my chest tattoo applied super fast. I use an alchohol based hybrid body paint so using a wet rag to apply the tattoo didn't mess the red paint up at all. a very light dusting of powder (I use baby powder since I am cheap lol) and it takes off that shine that temp tattoos can get also

Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:59 pm
Site Admin

Sweet! I have a package of that paper that I was planning to try, but it ended up stowed in my supplies tub and never did get a test drive. I'm really happy to hear that it works! I've talked to other Twi'lek costumers who used regular temporary tattoos (patterns, garrison logos, etc) over their body paint, so I was hoping that homemade designs would work too.

Thank you for sharing!

Pam :-)

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]