View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Covering existing tattoos 

Unread post Covering existing tattoos
I have yet to paint myself, still just getting started, but I'm wondering about my tattoos. I plan on wearing bracers with my costume to cover the extremely colorful ones on my arms, but I have some that won't be able to be covered with costume pieces. I was thinking about giving the Ben Nye brand a go (I've heard the best reviews about that one!)...will that hide my tattoos? They're not really themed right for a twi'lek :)

Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:03 pm
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Covering existing tattoos
My only 'visible' tatt is on my upper right arm at what they call 'corporate sleeves' height, and my costumes usually cover it. I find it's easier to hide tatts if you're using a bold color instead of a fleshy color. Fleshy colors are harder to match convincingly, where bold colors trick the eye and camera better.

Ben Nye is very good, however there will be a certain amount of translucency unless you're using their scar-and-tattoo cover blends.

I advocate the Reel Creations over all others, even though it's more expensive, because of what it saves you in the long run: time. Time for cleaning, matching, blending, all that. With the exception of their aging makeup (which is intended to be subtle and sheer) and Canary Yellow (which I use, doh!) it goes on opaquely enough to be worth it. Just layer some over the tatt with a brush or a sponge first.

If you're unsure and not in a rush to buy your makeup, give me about a week and I'll post pics for my own visible tatt to show you what to expect, both with a water-based makeup and the Reel Creations. I need about that long though because I just re-ordered a bunch of stuff and prefer not to use what I have on hand 'just in case' we get a last minute gig before the new order comes in.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:17 am
Profile WWW

It will still be a few weeks before I go buy the paint, so Yes! Seeing a picture would be fantastic :)

I was not aware of the scar/tattoo cover, I'll have to go look that up. I'm 95% decided on an olive-y green for the skin color, I figured the darker I go, the easier it would be to cover the ink. (No idea if that figuring is correct or not though!)

The ones that will need to be covered are on the back of my neck, around my elbow, below my collarbone, and on my side....I think between bracers and boots the rest will be hidden. Too bad I didn't discover costuming before I decided on tattoo placement, lol!

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:46 am

here is an excerpt from an email that I got from Reel Creations when I asked about covering tattoos. ( all of the talk about a "blue formula" is because i was asking about an Aayla color mix)

I had hella trouble covering my tattoos with just the green ink for my Oola costume, those tattoos are pretty bright and bold.

"As for the covering of the tattoos, we would suggest to use a base coat of white over the whole area including the tattoos as a primer coat, then very lightly spray the blue formula over the white base coat. You do not want to get the white base coat wet or else it will change the color of the blue formula. Do these light coats over and over, and don't stay in one spot or else you will wet the base coat and it will change the color of the blue formula. The white base coat will do two things, 1 - help cover the tattoos and 2 bring out the true color of the blue formula. Remember, don't try to get the blue to the final look on the first spray. Do it lightly over and over. Sorry to use so many words but we've been there - done that. "

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:20 pm

applying a white base makes sense....but how do you not get it wet when applying the next layer?

Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:27 am

I have ben nye and a few tatts myself i might do a test on my arms and i post the results !

Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:05 pm

Test results would be awesome, I am afraid to waste money on something that won't cover them :)

Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:48 am

No problems when i get home tommorow i will take some pics,ironically im covering twi'lek tatts :)

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:43 am

Depending on the colour i geuss it will make a big difference.

I used my normal blue one with a sponge and thats the result up the top near her head i started running out of paint on the sponge but that was 5 min of work maybe less :)

My mando tatt i used the purple one it came in a smaller container and had a little brush on it so i brushed it on instead might need to coats for it but it does work :)

Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:27 am

This is really helpful! I have a big black "tramp stamp" I will need to cover and i know Suu's pink wont be dark enough to cover. I have some RC white that will hopefully cover it up beforehand.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next