View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 8:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Eyeliner? 

Unread post Eyeliner?
I've scouted around and didn't see this addressed, so here goes....

I've been looking at lots of pics online and in my collection of SW books.... not only of Twi'leks but of other "painted" characters such as Darth Maul, Ventress, etc.

I am looking specifically at the rims of their eyes and how noticeable are the pink or brown rims of their natural skin tones, especially above the lower lashes. It would seem that the difference would be more *glaring* with blue or green characters, but honestly, in most pics, it is really hard to see that much up-close detail.

Obviously this can be minimized with eyeliner, but the natural tears of the eyes would seem to wash the eyeliner away if it is applied too close.

Does anyone have any tips, or am I over-thinking this? Obviously we want to look good and not sloppy, but we also want to protect our eyes. :)

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:44 pm

Unread post Re: Eyeliner?
I've noticed that painted characters pink eye "rims" are especially noticeable with blues. You are not the only one who'd noticed that detail! It bugs the heck out of me ;)

There are many colors of eyeliners available at CVS and Sally's Beauty Supply. You wont need an exact match, but something close to minimize the distraction.

When i wear everyday black eyeliner, i use those soft eyeliner pencils. I hate the liquid because it hurts like a SOB if you get it in your eye by mistake. I pull my eyelid away from my eye and apply on the part right above the eyelashes (closest to the eye). With pencil it wears off quick from tears like you said and you do need to reapply a few times during the day. With liquid, it lasts longer but you have less of a color selection. I don't mind reapplying my eye makeup since I'll probably already be going to the bathroom to check on the overall paint job on my face.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:10 am
Site Moderator

The inner rim thing is one of those that always needs to be touched up as the day goes on. I'm not aware of any way around this.

The alternative is to use pink/brown eyeshadow around the eye itself. My yellow isn't as obvious as when I do red or blue (other costumes) but I tend to use a pale pink and slightly sparkly creme in a wide swath around the eye, upper and lower, and then do everything else normally over that (like you're doing smokey-eye makeup, just with an extra first layer that is an exaggerated version of your skin color). The sparkle and color work much like a headwrap for imprecise makeup to lekku color matching - it tricks the eye into thinking things are right.

Obviously you can do more with this for original characters than some of the name characters, and you'd skip the sparkle and the smokey-eye makeup for the menfolk.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:59 am
Profile WWW

These are really good ideas... I do plan to experiment with "skin" colors as I develop the character, so I'll definitely test these ideas for makeup at the same time.

Thanks! :D

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:56 am

just posting to agree with Ms. Nara and Magpi. When I do my daily makeup I put black in that inside rim of eye, it may need a touch-up as the day goes on, but even that initial bit that will stick makes a big difference in the intensity of the pink that shows through.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:13 am

I don't like putting anything on the inner rim, but white is probably the best for this. It it often used to make the eyes appear larger anyway. Any other colour is going to make the eyes smaller, which is one reason it is advised against in a lot of make up books etc. It's also not exactly safe for the eyes. Think of it like contact lenses: you can use them but make sure to keep everything clean! It's when things aren't that there is a problem.
http://www.beautyfool.net/the-safest-wa ... nner-rims/

I also often put some white in the inner corner of my eye (the area around the tear duct but not the tear duct itself) as this helps make eyes look bigger and more open, so it might be good to do similar and it will help any white liner look more appropriate and part of the over all design.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:25 am
Profile WWW

I have small eyes so I'll try using the white eyeliner on the inner rim the next time I'm costuming. I dont wear makeup normally so I'm really bad at knowing what to use and what colors go good together luckily I dont have to worry about it so much with costume. I can just pretend it's part of the look. lol

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:00 pm

just be ultra sensitive about keeping things clean if you're painting the inner rim. Especially if you wear contacts! the more chemicals you put near your eye the bigger the chance they could do damage! (I'm a freak about things even feeling remotely like they are getting in my eye so I don't do the inner rim thing).

Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:54 am

kina wrote:
I have small eyes so I'll try using the white eyeliner on the inner rim the next time I'm costuming. I dont wear makeup normally so I'm really bad at knowing what to use and what colors go good together luckily I dont have to worry about it so much with costume. I can just pretend it's part of the look. lol

I'm the same kina although recently i have been smothering it on like a trollop. But if your not sure you tube is great for make up tips.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:57 am

luciferian wrote:
kina wrote:

I'm the same kina although recently i have been smothering it on like a trollop. But if your not sure you tube is great for make up tips.

Thanks, I'll have to take a look there. Oh the joys of having a mom who wouldnt allow me to wear makeup until I was 16 & by then I was used to not wearing it & didnt want to be bothered. lol

Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next