View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Eye Makeup 

Unread post Eye Makeup
I'm unsure of what to do, lol. I tried doing eye makeup last night when I tested my new paint, and it just wasn't turning out right. I just want to do two-toned (darker on the lid and lighter above) shadow and dark liner. I used Ben Nye black magicolor for eyeliner since I had some handy and that worked out pretty well. I can't get the shadows to look smooth or the color to stand out without looking trashy, lol.

Does anyone have any suggestions for products or techniques to use? I could also use suggestion on colors, my paint color is an extremely pale lavender, a little ghostly almost.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:50 pm
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Eye Makeup
Photos will help as far as suggestions go.

A good sponge style eyeshadow applicator will help, and of course, blend, blend, blend.

Liquid eyeliner is always stark.

Lastly, remember that people will take pictures of you, so bold and 'trashy' might not be bad. Get someone to take pics of you with a cell phone camera, that is by far the most likely scenario, and see how they turn out. You wouldn't believe how trashy my makeup for Nara Pel looks in person (IMO) compared to how it looks in photos. Costuming isn't about what we'd wear to the office, it's about what our personas would wear in the Senate on Coruscant.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:07 pm
Profile WWW

If you aren't used to wearing heavy eye makeup you will always think it looks trashy! I agree with Nara, do the make up and have some pictures taken. It will take some practice and worse case scenario go to Macy's or Bare Essentials (thats where I went) and have them show you.

When I do a similar eyeshadow look I use 2 different blending brushes and 3 eyeshadows. The lighter color goes on first and put it on your eyelid all the way up to your eyebrow, don't be shy with it, by putting this on a bit thick it makes it easier to blend later. You might have to play with a few colors before you get it right but for this "highlight" color I use a very light color or even white. Next take your medium color and put it across your eyelid and up to the crease and with your brush blend it with the highlight to about halfway from the crease to your eyebrow. blend, blend, blend - every mistake can be fixed with blending. Take your other brush with a tiny bit of your darkest color and brush it along your lash line, then tap off the remaining eyeshadow and use that brush to blend that color upwards as far as you want it to go. Treat your eyeshadow like paint - its easier to blend from dark to light if you have an intermediate color between them. If there is an odd spot that doesn't look right from now on use the lighter colored brush to blend and swirl it all together (if you use the same brush that you did the dark shadow then you might get it all over!) The dark shadow brush is only for applying the dark stuff and for blending right around the edge of the dark shadow.

Commercials make it look so easy don't they! There is much more brushing involved in a nice blended eyeshadow than you would think necessary.

eyeliner is last, I like to use black powder eyeshadow and dip an angle brush in water to apply along the lash line for my top lid, then a pencil to get along the bottom.

I hope that helps :P

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:40 am

Yeah, I guess I didn't think about the way it would look in photos. Stage makeup is always pretty heavy. I usually wear pretty dark shadows and black eyeliner for day to day...maybe I'm just not used to the makeup while being purple, lol.

I will post a pic of my lekku, they need another coat tonight and then they're done. Maybe you gals will have some help on shadow color.

Thank you so much for the tips ladies, very helpful!

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:04 am

Just agreeing here with Nara and Kulu :)I regularly do the Returns version of Catwoman and no matter how black I think my eyes look in the mirror they wash out all the time with photography to a smokey grey.

have you had any success since posting this? Photos would be great :)

If you are a pale lilac colour you may find using a shell pink for the highlights and a blue for the shades might help- they tend to blend well with the base colour as they are either side of the spectrum but also show up better than shade sof the same colour. You can give a light brush with a toning colour as well if the shade isnt quite right.

When I do Samara (a darker blue than most Twi'lek that are blue) I use hot pink and violet to shade eyes and cheeks.

Actual tips all depend on what products you are using (powders, cakes, liquids etc.) But I use two flat round brushes for most eye application as they blend really nicely.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]