View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Contacts and where to get them 

Unread post Contacts and where to get them
Okay, I'm doing makeup for my friend's Commander Wolffe costume and have been looking everywhere for contacts that give you white blind eyes and don't require an prescription? I'm not sure if that's possible. Any one have ideas?

(I wasn't sure where to post this, thanks for indulging me!)

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:26 am
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Contacts and where to get them
Pure white? That's very hard to see out of, but they do make them - I have a pair.

I suggest any reputable costume supplies shop in your area; they will probably make the wearer sign a release form, but that's about it, and a pair should run you under a hundred bucks including the care kit.

However, these are eyes we're talking about, so the standard warnings apply and if the wearer is not already a lens-wearer, it is CRUCIAL to get an eye exam first as well as have the optician teach how to insert, remove, and care for the lenses.

With what we spend on costumes, this is really not that horrible an expense. An eye is the single organ that doesn't eventually regenerate. Utmost care must be taken.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:38 am
Profile WWW

Luckily he's paying for them so I don't have to stress cost :D. And he only has to wear one so visuals shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks Nara, I called my local stores but they said they were illegal to sell in stores here. Do you know any websites that sell them?

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:44 pm
Site Admin

I will second the caution... nobody should take chances with their eyes! An eye exam before getting contacts is very important. Not only do they check your eyes for general health and vision, they will also measure the curvature of the eye and the diameter, so that you get the correct size of contacts. Both measurements will be on the prescription, even for simple cosmetic contacts. I get a checkup and new prescription for my costume contacts every other year.

Most local stores and online sellers now require a prescription for ANY contact sales because of the laws that took effect a couple years ago. There was a growing problem with teenagers buying cheap special effects contacts, wearing the wrong sizes, and sharing them with friends... leading to all kinds of eye injuries and the spread of diseases. So, regulation has increased, prescriptions are required, and most contact sources will require one these days. You can still get contacts without a prescription if you find the right place online, or at some booths at convenitons; you just have to track them down. Running a google search for special effects contacts will bring quite a few hits.... but again, it's better to have a prescription first.

Pam :-)

Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]