View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Tips for a make-up noob? 
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Tips for a make-up noob?
Oh sweetie. :( At least the Sephora trip was good.

If you haven't tried to wash your costume pieces yet, go get some "Goop" (hand cleaner used by mechanics). They should have it in any hardware store and in most grocery stores in the automotive/household cleaners section. It's a product that specializes in removing grease or protein stains (including blood, it's what I used when I was a nurse and had to keep those uniforms white).

It's important not to let that stain set, which washing will do. You can still use the Goop on the stain if you washed it, but be prepared that the product can only do so much at this point.

And if you have skin sensitivity, greasepaint is a super bad idea. Poor you!

Next time will be better though.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:52 pm
Profile WWW

My skin didn't react to the grease paint thankfully, I think partially due to the Reel Creation remover products being absolutely wonderful at helping your skin recover from having crap coating it. They left my skin feeling so nice and smooth and wonderful :) The costume is undamaged as I didn't want to put any of it on until I knew the grease paints wouldn't come off and ruin all my hard work. The only things that got dyed blue was the bra and underwear I was wearing while attempting to get the paints to work. I haven't tried washing them yet, as I was going to get advice from my garrison-mate that works in a dry cleaner on the best way to salvage them. I'll pick up some goop and give that a shot though. Thanks!

Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and other Sci/fi props & replicas at THGProps!

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:57 pm
Site Moderator

Just as a note, call Tracey and Fred directly - if you need the number let me know but it should be on your last e-receipt - to tell them about the make-up shipping thing. This is a horribly busy time of year for them even though in theory they're an industry shop.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:32 pm
Profile WWW

Good idea! Thankfully they're in California so shipping from there to Oregon is super fast, but I called to double check and Tracey said she's shipping it out today and it should be here either tomorrow or Wednesday with no shipping upgrades necessary :) She also included an empty 32oz screw-top bottle with an agitator free of cost so I can use that as my paint container instead of the rubber maid flip-top bottle I was using before, so I shouldn't have any more in-transit spills! Yay!

Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and other Sci/fi props & replicas at THGProps!

Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:51 pm
Site Moderator

They rock so much I hesitate to even try any other brands. They're top notch all the way.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:51 pm
Profile WWW

Agreed! They may be pricey, but the paint performance, ease of clean-up, and customer service is top notch! I've been absolutely delighted with my experience with them :)

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:48 pm

like I said the other night, if your uncomfortable trying to get your under things clean, take them to a dry cleaners and ask them to spot it out. As for make-up, I'll show you how, it's not that hard it just takes practice, just keep in mind that what your doing is theatrical make-up and not everyday wear make-up. Some of the techniques are the same but the application amounts can be different. ^_^

In process Rachi Sitra (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)
In process Bespin Leia (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:38 pm

Yeah, the idea of having someone experienced get my stuff clean rather than attempting to do it myself and screwing up is mighty tempting, so I may yet do that since I haven't had time to pick up some Goop yet :)

And I'll happily take all the make-up advice and training you can give me! It's such a confidence booster to have your help on all this stuff!

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:41 pm
Site Admin

I quit worrying about paint stains years ago. I just selected a set of lingere that was dubbed "the sacrificial Twi'lek gear" and they live in my costuming tub between events. They get tossed in the washer with the rest of my costume. Since they end up with wet paint on them, the waistband and bra straps are practically tie-dyed by now with permanent blue and green ink stains... but since I don't use them for anything else, I don't really care! The rest of the costume pieces only get dust from dried paint on them, so they always come out of the wash perfectly clean, even the white outfits!

Pam :-)

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:21 am

I wouldn't mind the paint stains if it was from the alcohol paints, but the grease paint stains are so much more icky and a painful memory :P The alcohol based stains don't seem to be quite as "all over the place"... I'll probably give up after I get these stains out, but for now I want them clean!

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next