View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
How to: Fake tattoos with sharpies 

Unread post How to: Fake tattoos with sharpies
Ok, I have done this myself, I actually have a design on my arm right now using this techniche. I would post pictures, but both my Internet access and my camera are on my iPhone, and I can't seem to get it to work. Oh well.

What you'll need:
The tattoo design printed or drawn on regular paper
Tracing paper
Sharpie or other permanent marker in the color you want
Scissors
Alchohol-based deodorant or hand sanitizer. Just so it has lots of alcohol in it, it'll probably work
Baby powder

First, either print out or sketch the design you want to use. Do keep in mind that the finished design will be a mirror image of the original.
Place the tracing paper on top of the design and trace it with the magic marker.
Now, cut out the traced design so you're not struggling with a whole sheet of tracing paper. A 1/2" around the design should be okay.
Spread the deodorant or hand sanitizer over the part of the body you want the tattoo on ( I used straight rubbing alcohol, but I don't recommend this. The image will smear). Immediately press the design, ink side to skin, into the damp area. Be careful not to move the paper side to side, simplely press it down firmly everywhere you want the ink to transfer.
Carefully peel away the paper. The design should be visible on your skin, though it will likely be paler than the original. This is easy to fix: once the skin is dry again, trace over the lines with the sharpie.
Once the ink is dry, sprinkle baby powder ( or any other clear powder. I couldn't find mine, so I used my powder makeup. It turns out the same) over the design. Spread the powder with a makeup brush. This will help give the illusion that the ink is under the skin, and not on top of it

Okay, that's it! You've got a temporary tat that looks quite real. To remove, simply use straight rubbing alcohol.
The thing is, since alcohol is the active ingredient that gets the ink to transfer, this may work on top of alcohol-based body paint. I don't have any though, so I can't test it. It would have to be done on top of still-wet paint though.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:39 pm
Site Admin

Unread post Re: How to: Fake tattoos with sharpies
That's very clever. Thanks for sharing!

I'm not sure that it would work on alcohol based inks because they dry very fast, so you would have a really hard time applying the pattern before the ink dried. And, since alcohol activates (liquifies) the paint, there's a big risk of the paint being smudged up in the process. Couldn't hurt to try a test tattoo sometime, though...

Pam :-)

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]