View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Nail color 
Site Moderator

Unread post Nail color
For the ladies, Sally Hansen came out with a really, no truthfully, instant-dry creme polish this year that cuts my costume prep down by about 2 hours. Two coats go on nails and toes AFTER applying makeup and are dry enough to open soda cans about 5 minutes later. Do NOT put this on BEFORE the makeup if you're using alcohol-based, though, as the makeup will remove the polish. (Gee, I wonder how they get the nail polish to dry so fast, hm?)

For the gents, and for ladies who want 'natural-looking' unpolished nails, I've found that airbrushing my hands as normal and putting on a quick-dry coat of clear basecoat (not clear polish) does the trick. The nail bed looks like it's got just enough tint to match the skin, the basecoat smears the color just enough to handle any uneven application, and it's not so shiny that it looks fake. Like with the Sally Hansen insta-dry polish, this is best done last.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:22 pm
Profile WWW

Unread post Re: Nail color
at sally beauty supply they sell some colors with a matte finish and I believe that they have a matte top coat (intended for men's manicures) I would assume that the top coat would give any polish color a matte finish but I havent played with it at all.

The downfall of matte finishes is that they chip a lot more easily than a gloss finish, so make sure to use a rubberized base coat

Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:44 pm

We just put up a display in my store recently of this product!! I thought of this topic instantly! I'm going to have to pick some up! I love Sally Hansen polish, and have the entire collection of their HD colors!

Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:33 am
Site Moderator

Speaking of Sally Hansen, I've been trying a new-ish product, their Salon Effects nail polish strips.

The idea is you take a strip of polish that has an adhesive side on it, apply it to your nail with a tiny bit of tugging and stretching, and you use the heat from your own fingertips to smooth it and activate the adhesive. They say it lasts up to 14 days.

I was so very skeptical. Oh my, I was skeptical. I'm not skeptical any more. I think I love this product and it is here to stay.

Went on easily enough, I could do it in the car. Took about a half hour though, because I kept reading the instructions and kept looking for pieces. It'll probably take about half that time the next time I do this.

I've been wearing it for seven full days now - not a single chip or crack! I've opened tins of cat food, gone swimming every day, opened soda cans, cooked, washed dishes, exercised - in short, I've had Real Life And A Lot Of It - and the stuff has endured. My only issue at all is that my nails grow lightning-fast and I'll need to re-apply the stuff soon.

Reel Creations/alcohol-based body ink does NOT adhere to this product! I dipped my fingers into the bottle to thoroughly coat the finger including the base, and once the make-up dried, it was mostly a matter of rubbing the make-up off with a cotton pad. (paper towel worked really well, too.) The nail polish strip stayed shiny, so I can do my nails the night before a troop or convention, do my make-up the next day and just wipe off the excess.

Since I keep my nails short, I can get probably 3-4 manicures out of a single box and have enough left to do my toes as well.

I have not tried other brands of nail polish, but other Sally Hansen liquid nail polishes adhere to the nail polish strips. The polish dried very quickly and seemed to borrow some of the durability sported by the strips.

Big plus for me, since I'm allergic to everything: NO STINK. None!

The drawback is that since it's a fairly new product, colors are limited, and there really aren't any sheers yet outside of the French Manicure style.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:06 pm
Profile WWW

My sister used that product and LOVES IT!! I've been meaning to pick some up myself. Her only complaint was that it didn't last as long as polish and started to peel off in a few days.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:00 am
Site Moderator

Miss Magpi wrote:
My sister used that product and LOVES IT!! I've been meaning to pick some up myself. Her only complaint was that it didn't last as long as polish and started to peel off in a few days.

Really? I took mine off at 9 days (and re-applied) because my nails had grown enough that I had significant nail-bed showing near the cuticle. She really needs to go over her nails with nail polish remover (but not rinse) before applying if she's getting peeling. It means there's still oil on the nail-bed when the strip is applied, apparently.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:49 pm
Profile WWW

That could be the case. He also does alot of work with her hands so i thought that might be it too. I'm still going to try it myself too.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Okay i LOVE this product but not the price and i ended up finding it $2 cheaper at walgreens after i got my box at cvs!! You are right about the lack of colors. All my stores had was neon solids and a few patterns. I picked up "booty camp" the pink camo and used it on my toes. super cute!! I was really happy to see that it had wide strips so i could do my toes. I have a tendency to pick off acrylics from my fingernails and had the same urge when i put a leftover one on my fingernail. the print looks really cute on the toes though :)

so far 2 days no peeling! polish lasts about 5 days before chipping from my toes so lets see how far i can make it last!

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:53 pm
Site Moderator

I had the same urge (to pick the product off my nails) for the first hour, when I felt very aware of the stuff. After that, though, it's been great.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:57 pm
Profile WWW

Day 15 and counting! This stuff survived ocean AND pool swimming without a scratch ;) I'm sold!

Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next