View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 8:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Summer's Darth Talon VERSION TWO 

Unread post Summer's Darth Talon VERSION TWO
I wore my newer more accurate version of Darth Talon at Celebration V so I guess it's time to tell how I made it!

Bodypaint/Bodysuit
Again, I cannot possibly do the bodypaint thing, especially since I was 15 pounds heavier at this Celebration. *doh* I bought a full body zentai suit from e-bay for about $30.00 (including s&h). Using several sources from the comics to the Gentle Giant and Sideshow Collectibles statues, I drew up a 'map' of the tattoos. I then had my sister draw with black Sharpie marker the outlines of them while I wore the zentai suit because it is very difficult to do it one's self whether it's on your own body or even if you had cardboard inside it. I filled them in later myself. When I got to con, I realized I had to cut the hands off of my zentai so I could use my fingers to paint my face etc.

For the paint I got Ben Nye Magicolor Liquid paint from sillyfarm.com, red for skin color, black for tattoos. I sponged on the paint with a makeup sponge in a 2 or 3 layers, then drew tattoos on with a paintbrush. Then used Ben Nye Sealer. It took maybe 1 to 1 1/2 hours I think just for the paint. This time it was just on my face where it shows through in the zentai suit hood. Unfortunately I forgot a 'map' of her face and ended up reversing the design, so the big black tattoo on the eye was on the wrong eye. *doh*

Lekku:
I used the lekku from Version 1 which I did not want to do because they are different material from the zentai. I do have fabric like the zentai but spent too much time with my boyfriend the weeks before the con and ended up resorting to my older non-matching pair. *doh* I will however when I find the time, make a new pair that match the same as I made the first pair. Fabric was bought at Joann's so it IS possible to make a lekku out of the same material as a suit you buy separately.

I decided to wear a original design headpiece with this version simply because the lekku were different from the suit. Also this version was extremely untested and was not sure how the lekku would go on the hood for the zentai.

Armor:
I made the armor out of 3 different kinds of leather I bought at Tandy.
Garment cowhide which is very soft and can be sewn on regular sewing machine. Used this for belt skirt.
Double shoulder 8/9 oz which a little thicker, a little harder, and a little shiny, and can be etched. I used this for the arm and leg armor, top, and belt.
Jontex finished splits 4/5 oz. which is very thick, a bit of a dull sheen, and etchable. I used this for the front and back belt buckles.

For a commission I did for someone, the straps were made of leather and velcroed. I wanted to do that for my version as well but resorted to the set I had planned to sell on e-bay that has elastic band straps. I made cardboard patterns of each piece of armor, when I found it to my liking, I put it over the large piece of leather and cut it. I spaced out the spots where rivets would go using a ruler so they were even. Used rotary punch to make holes. Cut out thick elastic straps the length each would go around my arm or legs. Then punched hole in that, lined up the holes with those in my armor, and using a hammer, small anvil, and pointed tool (sorry dont know what it's called, you use it to make grommets and snaps too), and riveted the straps and armor together. I used medium rapid rivets. A mistake I made because I had never riveted elastic strap before, is that the hole in the elastic expands larger than the rivet that is supposed to hold it in place if pulled to tight. :/ So two of my straps came undone and they had to be handsewn on to my arm wraps. When I fix this problem, I will probably sew soft leather squares on the end of the elastic and re-rivet each strap.

ImageImage

The top is made of 3 parts. First a wrap around top made of the same black stretchy material my arm and leg wraps are made of. Velcro is sewed on it so the outside top armor can be stuck to it. The front piece was cut out and using a ruler I etched lines across it so it looks segmented. The back piece was cut out, and four small square holes were spaced out and cut out with scissors. This way you can see the cloth 'bra' underneath like in the pictures of her.

The Belt:
First I cut out one large soft leather rectangle. I did not make each flap separate, I cut slits up this one large rectangle instead so it is all one piece. I did this for front and back. I then cut out buckle shapes and riveted the flap pieces to the front and back buckle respectively. Next I cut out a length to go around my waist, leaving enough slack to bend back on itself. This piece was cut so that one piece fit exactly from front middle to back middle. The other piece would be the piece that bent back on itself. Each piece was riveted to the front buckle. The first exactly measured piece would get a D-Ring riveted in place. The longer piece would get velcro, so that it could be placed through the D-Ring and then be velcroed to itself and adjustable.
The back buckle is a totally separate piece. A tube of cloth was riveted and velcroed to the inside. This could then be placed on the belt and slid back and forth and used to hide the adjustable D-ring contraption.

Miscellaneous:
Boots are Skechers Defiance, (same as for Version 1) were about $130.00 from zappos.com.
LOVE these boots. VERY important to have flat boots imho.

Gloves are black costume gloves from Joann's that I cut about an inch up from the wrist and hemmed. A black strip of velcro was sewn on across the knuckles so that a black strip of leather the same size could be velcroed on it. I do not wear gloves that go up the arm because it is difficult to take them off in case I need my fingers for something. Secondly because her arm covers go up alot farther than typical evening gloves do. Therefore I make arm covers separate from the glove that definitely go up past the bicep armor. They are made out of a black stretchy material, but it is not knit. I make covers for my legs that go past the thigh armor out of the same material.

ImageImageImage

Bottoms were boy leg underwear in black knit. However, they were too big and you do not get a good look at the cut of the belt buckle. So i think I will switch to smaller bikini underwear for the future.

Contacts are "Fire Sith" contact lenses bought online from fashion-contactlenses.com. Non-prescription. About $45.00. I know this is not safe for eyes, but this is the same pair I had for CIV. I have not had problems re-using them. I don't recommend taking a chance with your eyesight though and a fresh pair should be bought every year at least.

Lightsaber is my Master Replicas Darth Vader lightsaber, bought for $50.00 the day after Halloween at one of those Halloween stores, SCORE! Had a black vinyl cover on it from my Darth Ewok costume to hide that it's Vader's. I would really like to make an accurate Talon lightsaber of my own someday, but its a 'someday' thing. :P

Pictures:
Do not have very good pictures unfortunately. All taken from other people.

Things I did wrong with this costume but will remedy eventually:
Wore lekku different fabric from zentai suit, but this is a problem that has already been noted and on my to do list.
Leg covers had to be handsewn to my zentai because they were too big and I did not do a costume fitting before I left, lol. *blames boyfriend* Have to make the leg covers very snug so they do not slide down. Secondly must sew velcro to them to velcro the armor to thighs so it likewise does not slide down because the straps are not enough.
Have to re-rivet all elastic straps after sewing patches on the ends so they do not stretch larger than the rivets and pop off.
Lightsaber still not accurate.
Underwear too big so did not show nice cut of belt.
Forgot to bring a picture of Talon's face with me, so had to do makeup from memory, and didn't I put the big black eye tattoo on the wrong eye. lolz *doh again* Be sure to carry with you a map of her face tattoos!

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:58 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Summer's Darth Talon VERSION TWO
It IS pretty awesome but there's a soft spot in my heart for your original version, I guess cuz it was the first really good Darth Talon I'd seen.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:44 am
Profile WWW

Thanks Nara. I appreciate it. It's nice to get feedback, even if it's bad, so I can improve my mad (and bad) skillz. Mostly bad...lol...

Goopta mo bossa!

Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:24 pm
Profile WWW

lol they aren't bad at all! I think your armor looks great! lol i get lazy giving feedback on things that I like because i feel like im repeating myself! I like how you constructed your top (with the 2 layers) I hadn't put much thought into how I would do it but it looks great!

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:24 pm

Thanks Kulu! :) I wasn't fishing for compliments, I just like to know what's good or bad and if anything I write in a tutorial is helpful for future tutorials because I appreciate when people write theirs and throw out new ways of doing things. :) Like the top! Two layers were good, but after reading Acima's tutorial, I think I (and anyone else) need also to attach/velcro it to the bodysuit itself, it kept shimmying down, lol.

Goopta mo bossa!

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:34 pm
Profile WWW

As I've told you before. I think you look great! :) But also as Nara Pel says, I will allways have a thing for your first one. It was one of the first Talon costumes I saw, and even with the mofidied outfit you really looked like her.

And I'm adding it here, this pictured:

The closeup of your face in the Talon cloak outfit.. I just love the look your face has got ^^

Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Awww...thanks. :)

Goopta mo bossa!

Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:59 am
Profile WWW

Nara Pel wrote:
It IS pretty awesome but there's a soft spot in my heart for your original version, I guess cuz it was the first really good Darth Talon I'd seen.

Ditto!

Summer, do you reccommend painting the face first before putting on the bodysuit so the hands of the bodysuit wont have to be cut?

Also, do you think it would be an okay idea to get two bodysuits if there's a good deal & use one bodysuit to make the lekku so that lekku & body will definitely match? There should be enough fabric from the bodysuit to do this, right? Thanks, much.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Thanks!

Oooo...are you doing Talon, Kina?! It depends on if your fingers are dexterous enough to paint while they are 'gloved'. I feel more comfortable painting myself with ungloved fingers, plus Talon wears black gloves anyway so it covers up the bear hands. But if you can paint with gloves on and really do not want to cut the hands off, then I would suggest putting suit on first, because if you have a zentai hood, you could possibly ruin the face paint with a tiny slip of the hand when you put it on!

Also if you find a deal, getting two wouldn't be a bad idea to make the lekku out of. I'm pretty sure there's enough material to do it.

Goopta mo bossa!

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]