View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
tattoo templates 

Unread post Re: tattoo templates
Pam, have you tatoo templates? If you can search in your house and post it, all love it (more) ;)

Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:36 pm
Site Admin

Okashi wrote:
Pam, have you tatoo templates? If you can search in your house and post it, all love it (more) ;)

I'm afraid I don't really have a template, per se.... I just have a body cast that looks quite Sith-ly these days. I spread about a dozen images from the comics around my work space, and drew what seemed to be the most consistent tattoo patterns onto the body cast. (Aside from the hooks that sometimes appeared beside the belly button... I couldn't get that detail to look right, so I didn't include 'em.) When I was satisfied with the results, I made the patterns permanent by coloring them with a Sharpie. To make a stencil, I painted a few layers of clear silicone over the body cast and then cut out the pattern with an exacto knife, which was really easy to do. I had to leave connecting points every here and there, but that's true of most stencils with such an intricate pattern. I had hoped to cover my entire torso at once, so I created a seam that ran around the edges of the patterns. I embedded hook-side velcro into the silicone on each side of the seam, which I could then close with small tabs of the fuzzy side of velcro. Then I pulled on the silicone like a vest, and closed up the seam. Thus, in theory, all areas that weren't being painted were protected from overspray and we would be able to paint both the front and back in one fell swoop.

It worked fairly well, but the silicone proved to be much too stretchy and since it clung to my skin it moved out of place each time I shifted at all, so the pattern distorted when we tested it. We also realized that any change in my weight would make it very difficult to fit the silicone around my torso evenly! Nice idea, but perhaps not the best concept to use.

I then started to try a stencil made from a less stretchy silicone, but I could no longer cut out the pattern while the silicone was still on the body cast. Many of the truly stiff silicone materials are opaque, so I couldn't see the pattern through them. Easy fix... I just traced the edges of the pattern with a pencil, and painted on the silicone. Then when I pulled off the silicone, it took those pencil lines with it, and I could easily cut them out. I also had to abandon the full-torso idea, it clearly wasn't going to work well, so I only did one section at a time.

And.... that's as far as I got. I chickened out on wearing the Talon costume before I ever cut out the pattern in that blue piece, and I'm not even sure what I did with it anymore. I don't think I kept it.

But, that's the process I tried!

Pam :-)

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks for your response.
From now on it is better that I ask questions in Flag Ship Eclipse forums.

Thanks a lot!

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2