View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Trio of Twi'lek Dancers! 

Unread post Trio of Twi'lek Dancers!
Hello! I was invited over here by Pam. My sisters and I are going to make Twi'lek Dancers to join the Rebel Legion and because we think it would be SO cool to paint our selves fun colors (my one sister is really excited to paint her body red). I'm not totally sure what I'm doing as I go into this. I saw the tutorial shared on here for fabric Lekku and I think that's the way I'm personally going to go because I sew alot better then I make molds or work with latex :P .

Right now we are in the planning stages of the costumes. We probably won't start really working on them till spring next year, though we might buy the fabric fairly soon, if we find what we want. My sister who is an artist drew up a sketch of what our twi'leks would look like and I've colored it in. Pam suggested I share it with you guys, so here you go!

My artist sister is the teal, I'm the green, and my model sister is the red. I think we are going to use some satiny kinds of fabrics for our dancers, or cotton gauzes. And I might use different fabrics for each costume to make it look right for each frame (we each have very different frames :P ). The booties and straps I'm thinking will probably be out of leather, at least, the ones for the teal and green Twi'leks. The boots for the Red Twi'lek will be out of the leather, but the straps might be a satin ribbon or a sewn strip of satin. The red Twi'lek is most likely to get a satin look, since her costume will work so nicely in satin. And we found the perfect fabric for it at the local SAS too O:).

If anyone has any tips for the Lekku and how to make them, I would really appreciate them. Right now I'm looking at either knits or silky solids from Joann's. I would kinda like to make them with a skin like appearance, but I am not sure how involved with Latex I want to get. I might not have a problem with putting a layer or two of liquid latex on top of the fabric lekku, depending on how complicated that is. And then I wonder if you can just paint with the makeup on top of the fabric. How well does that work? Has anyone tried that before? Does the makeup come off or soak into the fabric? That's my biggest fear, that it will soak into the fabric and disappear.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:03 am

Unread post Re: Trio of Twi'lek Dancers!
Look up Darth kittie's (sorry if i spelt that wrong) web page from her profile. It has a great tutorial on fabric lekku. I would link it for u here but I'm on My phone and it would take a year!

Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:43 am

Oh yeah, I have looked at that. And I see how she did and I'm sure I could do something very similar myself. But I do have to admit, I don't really want them to "Look" like fabric lekku :P .

Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:52 pm

This is another look for the Twi'leks. I got a comment on the Rebel Legion forum that the Teal and Green Twi'leks were a little gypsyish, not very Star Warsy. So I took the skirt of the green twi'lek and made it fishnet, put leggings on her, and took off her sleeves. I think she looks better.

Next: Degpysy the Teal Twi'lek :) .

Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Very cool! I liked the gypsyness of the original, who is to say that Twi'leks do not have some sort of gypsy culture that goes hand in hand with their dancing abilities?! But the second versions look gyspyish and Star Warsy too. I did like the sleeves though. These will be great costumes when you're done! :)

And thanks Kulu, yes I have the fabric lekku tutorial. I know it's a pain when they look like fabric so I had been experimenting with a product called Skyyda Hogt from Ikea. It is a waterproof mattress protector, the one side is made of polyeurethene or something and looks and feels like soft flesh. I took some pictures but it will be hard to make out the texture:

The first picture is of one undyed, one dyed with red Kool-Aid which came out pink, and one dyed with green and blue Kool-Aid which came out aqua-ish. The red pair is from a test with spray paint. Unfortunately it flakes, but it might be because I was impatient and sprayed on too much, and didnt leave enough time between coats. *doh* I believe acrylic paints did not adhere to it well. I have yet to try i-dye for synthetic fabrics, but I plan to do that soon. But if you do not know how to do molds and such with latex, this 'fabric' is a really good choice for sewing them rather than knits.

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:15 am
Profile WWW

Those are some great pictures! Thank you so much! Have you considered a way to not have the wrinkles and folds where the Lekku bends down off the head? To me, that just screams fabric, and I kinda sorta want to avoid that. Course, if I can't, then I won't worry too much about it :) .

Where do you get the fabric you use for the Lekku? And how do you advise going about painting it? (I have a ton of questions that I'm sure I'm going to have learn the answers to the hard way :P )

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:03 am

No problem! :)

I do not have a way of having the fabric not wrinkle where they bend. I think for the Skydda Hogt ones, it doesn't look all that bad because the material looks and feels like skin. I think also in the movies, there is some wrinkling of their lekku there anyway, much the way we have wrinkles on our wrists or inner elbow. The seam on the headband can of course be hidden by a headpiece!

I get fabric from various places. Sometimes Wal*Mart, mostly Joann's though. I use knits mostly for now. And paint them with acrylic paint, like Apple Barrel brand or Joann's brand. I make a wash with the paint and water and put it on in coats with a sponge brush. I hang them outside when I do it because the paint will drip and they will dry faster. My Hutters lekku I used a heavier knit plus paint and they are just too heavy and hurt like a son of a gun! So I would use the lightest knit you can find if you sew them and if possible a knit already your bodypaint color so you do not have to paint them. My Talon lekku are a lighter knit and and already in red so did not hurt much at all. I forget exactly what it's called, next time I'm at Joann's I'll look!

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:55 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, I think I see what you mean. Have you ever tried putting a curve in the fabric pieces when you cut them out? Have you had any success with that? I'm considering trying to that on my lekku.

I have briefly looked at knits at Joann's, but I wasn't sure what weight to look at. Would a light knit like Jet Set maybe work? Or something not so shiny?

And I have completed the second look of the costumes. This time I focused on the Teal Twi'lek, shortening her full sleeves, turning the full sheer top into a short split skirt, and turning the blousey pants into leggings with cutouts. And I took off the corset like lacing on the Green Twi'lek and wrapped her waist with leather strips. And I like the wrapped look much better :P .

Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:27 pm

We are slowly collecting fabrics for the costumes :) . For the teal, we have a sheer gold fabric with a slight strech to it that is just gorgous and will be perfect for the sheer sections (the half sleeves and skirt). (sorry I don't have pictures :( )

And for Christmas, I got a piece of leather like fabric to use for my top.

So since we have different colors, especially me, I decided to recolor the concept and see what happens. Result:

I really like it now, because my costume works with a flesh color for my skin and lekku. I'll have to work harder to make the lekku look like my skin, but I feel up the challenge. What I might do is get a pinkish creamy fabric for the lekku and then put a foundation on it and put foundation over all my skin too.

Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:43 pm

Oh nice! I got material like that when walmart was closing their fabric departments and havent been able to find any like it since! I cant wait to see progress! Those drawings are super cute!

Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next