View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Trio of Twi'lek Dancers! 

Unread post Re: Trio of Twi'lek Dancers!
Yes, it is cool fabric. They got it at Walmart too :P (though we still are blessed to have our fabric section), but it's just two large remnants. But there is enough to almost make the top. I might have to work something for the bottom of the top, but we'll see :) .

I started draping my top (I'm the middle Twi'lek) and so far I have the basic shape up on the dummy. But now I need to set it aside and work on something else for a while :) . Like taping up sisters for THEIR dummies :) .

Last edited by padme9055 on Sat May 14, 2011 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:01 am

PROGRESS! Hahaha! Finally I have time (and a deadline) for these Twi'leks, so I have actually started on them. The lekku were what held us up for the longest time, but we have offically decided to go the way of tights, stuffing, and plasti dip.

Right now we just have the tights, as it's been too windy to try and spray them yet. (darn you spring wind!) Hopefully we will get the first coat on them tomorrow.

Several months ago, my sister found this beautiful, gauzy, slinky, gold fabric at a yard sale (LOTS of it too) and decided she wanted her half-sleeves and skirt made out of it. I FINALLY got the sleeves and skirt cut out and the sleeves are almost done!

With flash

I think they look pretty good and she LOVES them (which I always want to hear :) ). I also love the fabric, and since I'm not sure where to get mesh for my skirts, I think I will be using the same fabric for my skirt and possibly as an overlay for the other sister's tabbard skirt.

Tomorrow I'm going to Joann's to look for fabric for tops, since both my sisters need hand-made tops. And I need to hem the leggings I got at Walmart. I'm so excited with out this is turning out!

Mon May 09, 2011 1:34 am

Very cool, I like them! Looking forward to your sprayed lekku tights results, this is something I think I might need to try.

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Thu May 12, 2011 11:56 pm
Profile WWW

I got two layers of plasti dip on and I think the biggest problem is the absorbation of the tights and stuffing. Alot of the first layer was absorbed in, and the second layer was absorbed to an extent too. I'm thinking for the next pair of lekku, I will spray them with spray paint, clear or contrast, not sure, to seal the tights and stuffing before I put on the plasti-dip.

We also went shopping yesterday and got all the fabric for the rest of the costumes, save the headdresses. I'm not sure how I'm going to do those, but we shall see. One thought is to use a large piece of vinyl I already have and cover it with fabric from the costumes, to give a formed fabric look. But we shall see :) . The costumes are looking awesome so far, though!

Fri May 13, 2011 3:56 pm

A trick i use when working with foam might help with the tights, is to get a mix of glue and water. I used mod podge and brush it over let it dry with a couple of coats then apply the paint. Because the paint i was using just got sucked up into the foam like a sponge.

But that might not work for you ?

Fri May 13, 2011 9:50 pm

Oh, that is a good idea! Do you think white glue would work? Even watered down? And that is something I can do even if it's really windy too!

Sat May 14, 2011 4:09 am

the pva school glue works the best and it's cheap as chips for a big bottle i'm not sure on the mixture but you don't want it too runny or to gluggy. If that makes sense

Sat May 14, 2011 12:55 pm

I use white school glue diluted with a little water to work on craft foam (2 parts glue to 1 part water and then adjust to make it not as runny). You might want to try that or a mixture of white glue and foam glue or fabric glue. Good luck!

Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Site Moderator

That gold cloth was a steal! Nice half-sleeves, and your pre-spray lekku look good.

Mon May 16, 2011 6:08 pm
Profile WWW

JaclynGFC wrote:
I use white school glue diluted with a little water to work on craft foam (2 parts glue to 1 part water and then adjust to make it not as runny). You might want to try that or a mixture of white glue and foam glue or fabric glue. Good luck!

Perfect, Jaclyn! I'll see about trying it out on the pair we have right now. So far I've used almost 2 cans of plasti dip on them and there is hardly a first coat visible. I'm hoping that if I seal the lekku now, then the next coat of spray won't soak in so bad and actually start developing a coat. And then I need to start on the next pairs of lekku :)

Nara Pel wrote:
That gold cloth was a steal! Nice half-sleeves, and your pre-spray lekku look good.

I know, isn't it! And even after doing all her stuff (skirt and sleeves) and my skirts (two half circle skirts), we STILL have a bunch left over. I'm going to put a layer on the third sister's tabbard skirt and then have all the rest to make doll costumes or whatever :) .

Mon May 16, 2011 9:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next