View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Nara Pel - Jedi Sentinel, NJO era - Long Island Jedi 
Site Moderator

Unread post Nara Pel - Jedi Sentinel, NJO era - Long Island Jedi
"When a Jedi walks in darkness, it is because the people there need his light."

Who: Nara Pel (Lena to her friends) was born Lena'rapel on Ryloth and was discovered as Force-active by a visiting Jedi prior to the Great Purge of the Republic. Though she was offered "for a most excellent price - cheeka che copah bargon, chik youngee inkabunga! Cheeka lapti - che copah moocha!" she was declined as a purchase as too old for training.

Lenara'pel whispered scathingly to the Jedi: "Smart. They say that about any girl with a mind of her own, you know." Realizing that without some sort of guidance, the twi'lek girl might be a danger to herself and others, the purchase was rethought - and Lenara'pel became Nara Pel, trained in medical support and accounting for Agri-Corps, where those who don't quite make it as Jedi - those who are never chosen as a Padawan - are sent. She learned to be happy there, learning and taking to heart Jedi philosophy.

She escaped the Great Purge by way of her cargo ship, carrying food and medical supplies to the Outer Rim during the Clone Wars, being taken by pirates near Hutt Space. Using her nascent Force powers, Lena gambled with the pirate captain for her freedom; she was dumped on that crossroads of the Universe, Nar Shaddaa with a blaster, a handful of creds, and the clothes on her back. Realizing her survival depended on her ability to lay low, she eventually found employment, usually to crime lords, as a discreet bodyguard; usually she was mistaken for an entertainer. In time, she fell in love with and married the second-in-command of one of her clients. His career choice led to his death not long afterward.

As a mature adult, Lena was reluctant to join the New Jedi Order, preferring instead to do community work where it was most needed, but rethought her stance when her husband's niece became a Padawan herself "to help right the family's wrongs". The girl's disappearance during an investigation into "a strange cult we keep seeing crop up" brought Lena out of her own inaction. She seeks both news of her niece and balance in the Force.

She is a tawny amber in hue, a more common color among twi'leks. Her common physical appearance, combined with her wits and stubborn will, probably saved her from a life of slavery.

Where: Lena travels, but can usually be found in places like the lower levels of Coruscant, where she once played freely as a tween, or in the fouls of Hutt Space. She knows how people in those places live and that her service to the Force can be of use there.

What: Lena is a Light Jedi; her philosophy is a hands-on blend of Republic Jedi doctrine and New Jedi Order sensibilities. She has old friends in 'victimless' crime cartels and in various legal peacekeeping organizations alike; she's as likely to be found playing sabacc with strangers as she is meditating at Temple with colleagues. She would like to pick up her niece's trail to learn what became of her, but recognizes that her affinity for the Force leaves her with other responsibilities.

If one were to follow Lena around for a day, one would see her teaching those who have trouble defending themselves how to change their situation in life. In real terms, that lofty goal is achieved through education, both cerebral and physical, so that the people she aids become aware of the fact that they have choices - even if those choices are imperfect, they own the ability to choose their own fates.

Homeworld: Ryloth
Born: Apprx. 40 BBY, slave outpost owned by Graxol Kelvynn
Height: 1.67m
Skin color: Yellow
Eye color: Green
Hair: none
Era(s): Rise of the Empire, Rebellion, New Republic, New Jedi Order -- and, one hopes, beyond into Legacy era
Affiliation(s): Graxol Kelvynn's criminal empire (as a child slave), Jedi Order,/AgriCorps, various criminal operations in Hutt Space, New Jedi Order

--

This character databank entry is vague as far as the names of significant personalities such as her husband, neice, the Jedi who brought her to AgriCorps etc., because I like to leave opportunities for others to intersect their backstories with mine.

Updated image forthcoming - photoshoot in July.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:07 am
Profile WWW

Unread post Re: Nara Pel - Jedi Sentinel, NJO era - Long Island Jedi
Very nice! And ooo I just noticed your gauntlets! Did you make them and what of? Do you have picture of just them?

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Darth Kyttee wrote:
Very nice! And ooo I just noticed your gauntlets! Did you make them and what of? Do you have picture of just them?

I wish I had the skill to make such things - no, those are a Hot Topic purchase. I have weak wrists and they offer just enough wrist support and hand-covering to help keep a good grip on sabers during choreo. After that pic was taken, I painted the snaps and grommets copper to match the rest of my metals.

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Access ... 132388.jsp is the style I bought.

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Access ... 258993.jsp is a style I may use, and just add decorative notions to the straps.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:59 pm
Profile WWW

I love the backstory you've created for your twilek. This is something I need to work on for my custom twilek.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:37 pm
Site Moderator

Thank you! I find it easier to design the costume once I know what story I want the costume to tell.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Keep in mind I'm 162 lbs right now (it goes down a bit every week) and am well aware of my body type. The pic shows off my fat quite well kthx, but by spring it should be a different story. Also I was photo ambushed, so I literally got caught with my mouth agape. :(

I want a headwrap that is smaller and matches the gown, so I'm working with a nice pale blue-green brocade and may add beads/pearls by hand.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:29 pm
Profile WWW

your gown looks great!! i HATE photo ambushes :)

Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:23 am
Site Moderator

Kulu wrote:
your gown looks great!! i HATE photo ambushes :)

Me, too, but the plus side is that I get a good idea of how I look when I'm not wearing my Perfect Posture and Pleasant Smile. It's not too bad. Needs work, but I'm okay with it!

Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:09 am
Profile WWW

Nara Pel wrote:
...the plus side is that I get a good idea of how I look when I'm not wearing my Perfect Posture and Pleasant Smile.

THIS!! I hate finding pics of me from conventions and I'm in an awkward pose! Its a good way to work on things.

You look good hun. I know where you are at though. I'm currently trying to lose weight since i just had a baby.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:19 am

Beautiful as always. :)

You're braver than me for sure! I don't show my tummy unless it's bodysuit covered, lolz!

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:59 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next