View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Rio Ca'tal -- female Twi'lek bounty hunter 

Unread post Rio Ca'tal -- female Twi'lek bounty hunter
Hi all!

First off I want to say that I've been nothing but inspired by all of the tutorials, information, and sheer creativity I find on this board. You are all awesome, and thank you all for sharing all your great ideas with me :)

I'm relatively new to costuming, been doing steampunk for about a year but only started seriously costuming with other characters for the past six months or so. For Christmas, my husband surprised me with a pair of Pam's gorgeous lekku... and I couldn't wait to put together a costume. :D My husband and I are pretty involved with the Mando Mercs so I decided to put together a saucy little Twi'lek to go with his armored Mando. Originally I was going to go with a Twi'lek smuggler with the hopes of joining the Rebel Legion... but I was told there was no being approved with an original Twi'lek smuggler, and I'm pretty in love with this costume so far, so I guess that's the end of that. Instead of smuggler... I'm thinking bounty hunter. :D

Here we are:

Overall, it's not bad for a costume that I threw together over the span of about two weeks on my days off. I made the headband following Kulu's awesome tutorial and overall it was great, though I had to tape the ear flaps to my cheeks so that my ears didn't show. I threw together the shoulder armor with some leather, an old belt, and a sintra-and-craft foam hard piece.

Things I want to change...
- the belts. I want to make a smuggler-type belt from TOR with side straps. My husband designed my awesome pistol from a Nerf gun mod so I need to make a holster -- I'm thinking something magnetic instead of a full holster... hrm.
- headpiece. Since it flaps out I want to remake it, maybe out of thicker leather so it stays better.
- lekku decorations. I'm thinking something sparkly that I can wrap around the lekku instead of having to paint them.

The biggest problem I'm having right now, actually, is -- big surprise -- the body paint. We used the Mehron Liquid paint for the con I went to, and it lasted fairly well, but by hour five my face was starting to crack and by hour six all of the pictures I took I had to delete because they were unusable due to the flaking and cracking. For Amazing ArizonaCon, which is going to be a full day, I'm thinking we're going to invest in the Reel Creations stuff. My question is... should I be spraying my lekku with a protective coat of some sort before applying the Reel Creations? So far the two water based paints I've used have come right off them with only a minimal residue... but I definitely don't want to damage my precious. :D

Thanks for reading :D

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:58 pm
Profile WWW

Unread post Re: Rio Ca'tal -- female Twi'lek bounty hunter
You look amazing! I love seeing how creative people are when it comes to putting costumes together in a short timeframe. Your shoulder armor piece is great!

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi all! Just wanted to post an update of my costume. Here's a couple of candids taken at Amazing Arizona Comic Con a couple of weeks ago. I completely revamped the belts situation, and while it's not the belt that I want, it's much better than my steampunk belts I was using. I also added an upper arm holster with little throwing daggers that I can take out. I also have a holster for my gun (yaaaaay XD).

Still trying to figure out the body paint situation. We airbrushed the Mehron Liquid on and it lasted MUCH longer with SIGNIFICANTLY less cracking, however it still rubbed/flaked off and I had to reapply 3-4 times during the day. I also used a heavy coat of Final Seal on one arm and that seemed to help so I need to be thicker with that everywhere else. I think I'm going to shave my arms though because good lord airbrushing makes me look like a Wookie. LOL. For PCC we're definitely going with Reel Creations and I can't wait to see how that holds up instead.

Though the best thing about my costume? When the lekku get too heavy, I just take off all the gold pieces and since I have ridiculously red hair... viola!

...insta-Mystique. Hah!

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:25 pm
Profile WWW

Love your updates, especially to the headpiece. Outfit is amazing and love the boots, but how do you walk in them? I cannot walk in anything with heels for any length of time.

And red hair/blue skin really works! What a great way to have too looks.

How did your paint turn out? Did you switch over to Reel??

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:17 pm

Hey hey - husband here.

We're still using Mehron, but getting ready to switch to Olive Branch (alcohol based) I know it's not Reel, but Reel is just... far too expensive, particularly with just how many events we go to every month. We might pick up Reel down the road, for longer conventions, but it's just not in the cards at the moment.

I did, however, come across a set of boots online that were far too perfect to pass up. They're even more terrifying than her last set of thigh highs, and now she towers over even me. 8 inch heels, in total (including platform)

She wore them to Geeks Night Out, a small gathering in the Phoenix area. It was a 4 hour event, and she made it 3 hours in these boots before having to switch to flats. So they're definitely more photo boots than con boots, for sure. Still... she won first place in the costume contest, so they're not nothing.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:04 am

This is super bad-a@@!!! Definitely has inspired me to do some re-vamping on my own custom smugger-type :)

Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]