View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 3:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Pam's Xiaan Costume 
Site Admin

Unread post Pam's Xiaan Costume
I started this costume because I wanted a Twi'lek outfit that I could wear in cooler weather. Aayla's bare waist and arm are nice for summertime events, but not so much the rest of the year! I thought Xiaan's costume was beautiful, but it has turned out to be one of those costumes that keeps getting set aside while I work on other things, so it's now in its second year of sitting in a tub half finished. Perhaps I'll finish it this year so I can wear it in our garrison's annual winter parade entry......

The darker color of her tabbards was pretty easy to match to the references, but I had to carefully dye and re-dye the lighter color about three times before I got the fabric to the right shade. Both pieces of fabric are cotton lycra from Dharma Trading Company, shaded with a custom mix of Procion Fiber Reactive dye. I chose this fabric because her costume is always shown to look soft and flowing, and the cotton lycra is just that. (It's amazingly comfortable, too!)

So far I've finished the inner shirt, which was easy except for the sleeves. Making them longer in the back and short in the front was a real challenge! I'm happy with the way it turned out, but I don't seem to have a picture of it on my computer. I guess I need to get out the tub and snap a few!

The hardest part of this costume is the thigh boots with the panel on the front. I haven't been able to find any boots in the right style, so I finally settled for a pair of ankle boots in the right color, and some brown vinyl that matches the color really well. It's not my preferred way to make boots, but it should do while I work on a better solution. The nice thing is that she's got leather bands around her ankles, just like Aayla, and I can use the bands to hide the transition from the boots to the vinyl.

Pam :-)

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:43 pm

Unread post Re: Pam's Xiaan Costume

I've seen those shoes at "Shoe Depo" here in Texas. We have a bajillon shoe stores I'll keep an eye out and let you know the brand if I see them.

"If you seek to aid everyone that suffers in the galaxy, you will only weaken yourself…and weaken them. If you care for others, then dispense with pity and sacrifice and recognize the value in letting them fight their own battles."

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:24 pm
Profile WWW

What is the skin color of Xiaan? Is it blue or green?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:00 am
Site Admin

Green! With the occasional bit of teal thrown in for variety.

Image Image

Image Image

Pam :-)

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:21 am

Would this color be right then?

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:38 am

Please post pictures, Pam! I'm impatient to see :)
When you get the headwrap completed, could you please take a picture of it lying flat next to a yardstick? I'm terrible at making headwraps. I can never imagine what they would look like as a flat pattern.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]