I started this costume because I wanted a Twi'lek outfit that I could wear in cooler weather. Aayla's bare waist and arm are nice for summertime events, but not so much the rest of the year! I thought Xiaan's costume was beautiful, but it has turned out to be one of those costumes that keeps getting set aside while I work on other things, so it's now in its second year of sitting in a tub half finished. Perhaps I'll finish it this year so I can wear it in our garrison's annual winter parade entry......
The darker color of her tabbards was pretty easy to match to the references, but I had to carefully dye and re-dye the lighter color about three times before I got the fabric to the right shade. Both pieces of fabric are cotton lycra from Dharma Trading Company, shaded with a custom mix of Procion Fiber Reactive dye. I chose this fabric because her costume is always shown to look soft and flowing, and the cotton lycra is just that. (It's amazingly comfortable, too!)
So far I've finished the inner shirt, which was easy except for the sleeves. Making them longer in the back and short in the front was a real challenge! I'm happy with the way it turned out, but I don't seem to have a picture of it on my computer. I guess I need to get out the tub and snap a few!
The hardest part of this costume is the thigh boots with the panel on the front. I haven't been able to find any boots in the right style, so I finally settled for a pair of ankle boots in the right color, and some brown vinyl that matches the color really well. It's not my preferred way to make boots, but it should do while I work on a better solution. The nice thing is that she's got leather bands around her ankles, just like Aayla, and I can use the bands to hide the transition from the boots to the vinyl.