View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
B-Grade Lekku for Sale 
Site Admin

Unread post B-Grade Lekku for Sale
Hi, everyone.

Every now and then I get a casting that doesn't come out quite right. I hate to let things go to waste, so I always box them up and put them away. My crafts closet is starting to overflow, however, so I figured it's time to find out if any of these can find a better home! All of these headpieces are stuffed, because unstuffed headpieces don't store well. (Empty lekku tend to sag and crease, and the creases become permanent.)

Pricing: Normally, a stuffed and trimmed headpiece would be $140. I reduced the prices according to how much work I had put into each headpiece, and the extent of the imperfections. The prices do not include shipping. If you give me your address, I can plug it into the shipping calculator and let you know how much that would be.

Sizing: I have two different sizes of molds. "Large" is made for larger sized heads or long hair. The head area is a little bit loose on me, and there is room inside for tucking up long hair. "Small" is snug on my head, so it is best for girls who have a smaller head or short hair. To give you an idea of the size, my head is 21.5 inches or 54.5 cm when I put the measuring tape around my forehead.

If you are interested in one of these headpieces, please send me an email at Mitji@aol.com

Torn Asunder: -sold
This headpiece tore when I was loosening the casting at the edge of the mold. (The arrow is pointing to the torn spot.) The latex was still wet and the tear was only a bit over an inch long, so I painted some fresh latex in the tear and pressed it back together again. The latex cured as one piece, and is very strong. I can pull on it and it shows no signs of coming apart. The tear is difficult to spot unless you're looking for it. I have no concerns that this headpiece is structurally sound, but *I* know that it was torn, so I consider it a B grade headpiece. Large size, stuffed and trimmed. $80.

Nucklehead: - sold
I was a dummy and pulled on this headpiece when it wasn't fully cured yet. The two bumps you see on the head area are from my fingertips pressing against the latex. The bumps would need to be covered by the headwraps. It's a seamless casting, small size, stuffed. $70.

The Mystery Slump: - sold
I have no idea what happened to this casting. I set it aside to dry, went to check the mold later... and discovered that the forehead edge had slumped down in the mold. Hadn't happened before, hasn't happened again since! It'll need a headwrap to cover the front edge that went wonky. This casting is from my small mold. It has been stuffed, but has not had the seams trimmed yet. I can give instructions for how I trim the seams. Small size, stuffed, not trimmed, $60.

Lekku for Little People:
I have several of these castings. They are seamless headpieces that I'm really happy with.... but I estimated poorly on the sizing of the mold, and they turned out smaller than I intended. I can put them on, but they're VERY snug, and my long hair cannot fit inside. These headpieces are beautiful, but they'll only fit people with tiny heads and short hair!
Dinky size, stuffed, $80

I also have a couple of these smaller headpieces that came out with some imperfections.... some small seam lines, and air bubbles that can be repaired by brushing in liquid latex. Dinky size, imperfections, stuffed, $60.

Labeled for Life: - sold
I was having trouble telling the difference between my large and small seamless molds since they look very much alike, so I got the bright idea to write "S" and "L" on the back of each one, in the space between the lekku. I used a black Sharpie. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but when I pulled the next two castings off the molds, I found that the black letters had transferred onto the latex. GAHH! I painted over the letters with some fresh latex, but the letters still show through a bit. I don't know if the letters would also show through paint, so I'm going to consider these two headpieces as b-grade. If they do show through, the easiest thing to do would be to cover that spot with a leather or cloth strap as part of the headpiece. Since it's between the lekku, any strap designed to go over the top of the lekku and down between them should cover it. I sanded the letters off my molds after that, so only two headpieces have the transferred letters on them. Seamless castings, one small size stuffed, and one large size stuffed. $80 each.

Expanding Foam of Doom: - sold
Just as I was mixing the foam for this headpiece, the doorbell rang. We were expecting somebody who I HAD to talk to, so I ran to the door, only to find that it was our neighbor. I invited her in and ran back to pour the foam into the headpiece. I thought I had time, but cut it a bit too close and the foam sucked the latex in around the top curve of the lekku. I'm sure it can be easily repaired by pulling the latex away from the foam and reshaping it with some bits of pillow stuffing, but I'm being lazy and don't want to do it myself. Large size, seamless, stuffed, needs reshaping. $60.

These are the Pits: -SOLD
Every now and then, for no discernable reason, pits appear in the latex when I cast headpieces. Sometimes it's one or two, sometimes it's a dozen... and never in the same place twice! When there are just a few of them, I can easily fill the indentations with some latex and be happy with the result. Every now and then I get a casting with more pits than I want to deal with, however... and this is one of them. These little pits can be filled with latex, they can be covered with cloth wrappings, or they can be ignored if you just don't care about them! This headpiece is from my large mold. It has been stuffed, but the seam lines have not been trimmed away and there are some pits on the surface. $60.

Crater Time! -Sold
This one has even more pits than the one pictured above. They're quite large, and would be difficult to fill in so many of them. I think this headpiece would only be good for a costume where fabric is used to cover the pitted area of the lekku. Large mold, stuffed, seams trimmed. $60

Pam :-)

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Unread post Re: B-Grade Lekku for Sale
I'm so sorry, but your post made me laugh :) I love the names you have given them all :) I hope these are snapped up and they all get worn in one place :) Or a group who can take the nicknames and run with them ;)

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:11 am
Profile WWW

your nicknames that you gave these are adorable lol. Makes me wish I had a daughter cause your 'lekku for little people' strikes me as a perfect child sized one.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:01 pm
Site Admin

I did have fun with the nicknames! :-D

The first "pits" headpiece is sold, and a sale is pending on the second pitted headpiece. I'm going to go ahead and post these on the RL forum now. I wanted to give the folks here first dibs!

Pam :-)

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:41 pm

Aww I wish I had seen this before you sent mine, I might have gotten one for my Aayla and they could have been shipped together! Oh well... Will have to wait if you still got them until I get more fundage. ;)

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:12 pm
Profile WWW

What are the measurements for the Dinky sized ones? I have somewhat of a small head for my age :| and not too long of hair so that might actually work out for me.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:19 pm

Probably too late but PM sent :)

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]