View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Scott's Shado Vao 
Site Admin

Unread post Scott's Shado Vao
Scott and I have been making some progress on his Shado Vao costume, so we thought we'd share a few pictures. Our goal is to finish in time for Celebration.

The fabric parts of the costume are all finished, save for the black undershirt which will have the leather collar attached to it. The outer tunic is a very strange design. It's solid on the back, looks like a pair of tabbards in the front, and has four attached "skirt" panels, two in front and two in back. The color of the outfit has changed over the course of the Legacy storyline from shades of brown to gray, so we dyed the fabric to the color version that Scott liked the best. The pants were dyed the same color, but we left them in the dye bath a little longer, so they're slightly darker than the tunic.

Scott and I took turns sculpting the lekku. Each time our hands got tired, we tagged off and let the other work on it for a while.

The leather pieces have a textured center area with a smooth border, so we've been experimenting, trying to figure out the best way to recreate that look.

A closeup of the texture and weathering for the wrist guards:

Oil based clay can get pretty hard when it's cool, and it's MUCH easier to work on a large scale when the clay is warm... so we usually set the lekku headpieces in the shade out back when we work on them. It's warmer than the air conditioned house, but out of the sun so that the clay won't melt and slide right off the sculpture. Leaving the sculpture outside, however, can lead to the occasional battle damage. Here's what happened when a crow decided to land on Shado's head....

Scott's first test of the black head wraps. (Unpainted, and without the lekku underneath.) We're making two versions, one in silicone, and one in fabric, to see what works best. (Silicone = hot, fabric = seams.) The square over the chin won't stay up by itself... it'll have to be glued into place when worn, most likely.

Pam :-)

Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:14 am
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Scott's Shado Vao
Why not use cloth, and put liquid latex or silicone over the seams and then texture it to match while it's still malleable?? You'd have to airbrush the latex/silicone after, but it'd eliminate the seams and the excess heat.

The chin thing should stay in place with toupee glue/tape or 'bra tape', yeah. I suggest the toupee glue/tape, it's more durable and tons more skin-friendly. The other suggestion I have is to use surgical wire or a piece of molded leather/plastic under the chin piece and a section of the rest of the jaw/chin to keep the piece rigid.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:44 am
Profile WWW

Pam, will you eventually have Shado Vao lekku available for sale?

Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:33 pm

kina wrote:
Pam, will you eventually have Shado Vao lekku available for sale?

I am also interested in a Male Latex Lekku

Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:33 pm
Site Admin

Hi,

I'd say that Shado is about 95% finished... all that is left is the detailing on the black head wraps, and that's waiting for the purchase of some black interfacing to reinforce the shape of the cutouts around the face. We decided to go with fabric because the silicone version was uncomfortable for Scott. It means that there will be seams, unfortunately, but this way he'll be able to wear it longer because he won't have the heat and pull of silicone on the sides of his face and across his neck.

I'm fairly happy with the way the headpiece came out, though it has been very difficult and there are still some issues that we're trying to overcome. The silicone is MUCH more challenging (and expensive!) than latex. We've had trouble with the silicone wanting to run, with its tendency to settle in pools inside the mold, we've had difficulties with the seams not sealing all of the way down the sides of the lekku, we can't hide the seams completely, and the seam repairs really show up against the rest of the silicone (smooth and shiny seam repairs against the matte skin texture everywhere else), it's challenging to mix and maintain matching colors throughout the process, and the extra weight of silicone is a problem. My latex lekku tend to weigh about a pound and a half when stuffed and trimmed out. The silicone lekku weigh two and a half pounds when they're stuffed. I know part of that is the fact that Shado's lekku are larger than female lekku, so additional weight is to be expected... but still, it's frustrating! I like that the silicone lekku wiggle and sway a little bit more than latex lekku do, but I'm not sure if all of the extra casting time and headaches are worth it! Everyone always advises me to "put weights in the bottom." Tried that, all it does is add more weight. If anything, it just weighs the lekku down. (So don't suggest that; I'm tired of hearing it! :-D) We'll keep trying, though... I'm too stubborn to give up without figuring all of this out. I keep reminding myself that it took a couple years of trial and error before I got the hang of working with latex, so this is all to be expected. It's just a lot more expensive every time you have to throw away a dud silicone headpiece!

We're not planning to sell the headpiece until we get everything worked out. We need to figure out how to do a better job with the silicone first, and there will be challenges such as figuring out what to do about the colors. You can't just paint silicone lekku... they have to be intrinsically colored. (The color is mixed in the silicone itself.) That can be a real challenge... either the silicone has to be pre-colored as you cast it, or you have to airbrush on layers of colored silicone after thinning it with some pretty nasty solvents. There's also the issue of size... as Scott puts it, he has a "ginormous" head, and lekku made to fit him would be too large for a lot of people. I am wondering if I could find a way to cast latex lekku in that mold, though... it would take a bit of experimenting and may very well not work, but since latex shrinks 10%, it would make male lekku that are smaller.

Stay tuned, finished Shado pics should be coming soon! (I hope...)

Pam :-)

Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:25 pm
Site Admin

As of this morning, my Shado Vao has been accepted as a formal level costume for the Rebel Legion. :-)

Here's a look at what we submitted, very much a rough draft, we wanted to get it submitted with time for the membership folks to review it before C5, and have already made massive improvements to the fit of the lekku and the wrappings. :-)

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:45 pm
Site Moderator

HUZZAH!

Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:04 pm
Profile WWW

That is really kickin butt!

"If you seek to aid everyone that suffers in the galaxy, you will only weaken yourself…and weaken them. If you care for others, then dispense with pity and sacrifice and recognize the value in letting them fight their own battles."

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:56 pm
Profile WWW

Sweet! Looks awesome! :D Grats!

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:16 am
Profile WWW

That came out AMAZING! :D

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next