View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Body by Kulukan! 

Unread post Body by Kulukan!
It always surprises me how little people know about diet and exercise. Since I will be braving an Oola costume this halloween I have revamped my diet for a while and thought I would share my strategy. Please excuse my huge wall of text I tried to organize it but...ya.... If you want any individual advise or help feel free to hit me up!

Whether you want to lose 5lbs or 50lbs the info on this page applies to all! I have been working as a personal trainer for 3 years now and have my bachelor's in kinesiology so rest assured my advice is above and beyond the tips down the side of your facebook page O.o

If you have never worked out before, if you have some injuries to deal with, if you are a little nervous about it TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR. everyone is different and will need a slightly different approach

The Laws of Thermodynamics

very long dry boring explanations made short (and confusing bits and pieces left out) = energy can be changed from one form to another but can not be destroyed. This means that if you are overweight, you ate too much energy(calories) and your body stored that energy as fat. Many people make excuses that their metabolism is slow, that their parents are fat so genetically they have no choice and for a very small percentage of people that is true - but for the vast majority of us, if you are carrying it around with you its because you ate it.

If you eat fewer calories than your body requires to function in a day you will lose weight. This is done by:
- eating the same and burning more calories
- eating less and burning the same amount of calories
- eating less AND burning more calories

all of the above things work, the bottom one tends to be the most effective.

Food is important!!

the majority of weight loss will come from your diet. I have seen the research and had the clients that insisted on only exercise to burn the extra calories and it doesn't really work!

the average male will gain weight if they are eating more than 2200 calories per day, the average female will gain weight if they are eating more than 1800 calories per day.

In general males should never be eating less than 1500 calories per day, and females should never be eating less than 1200 calories per day (unless specified by your doctor) When your calorie intake gets too low your body thinks you are dying and will actually slow down your metabolism. Unfortunately our bodies haven't been able to evolve fast enough to keep up with the surplus of food in the U.S.

If you want your own specific calorie requirement number you can go to

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html OR sign up for free at http://www.sparkpeople.com/ and get an online food and exercise diary (with a free android app)

Most of my clients moan and groan about food journals, but you never know how much you are eating until you count.

Here is a summary of what I am doing to be Oola ready by October 31st:

I am 5ft tall and currently 122lbs, I would probably wear the costume as I am now but the self confidence boost of doing all I can to look good makes the costuming experience sooo much more enjoyable. The smaller you are the less you get to eat, it sucks but its true. I am on a 1300 calorie diet until October 31st. I work at a gym and get in 3 gym workouts a week (20 min cardio, 45 min weights) I HATE cardio, if i can do it anyone can. Cardio is just getting your heart rate up if it is up by walking then walk.

- measuring cups and scales! 1 cup of cereal is a lot less than most people think. record what you eat, whether its online or in a notebook.
- find what works best for you! i have the spark people android app and log my food as i eat it. some people will save it all up and log at the end of the day
- if you are logging your food and your calories say you should be losing weight and you aren't - double check your measurements, weight watchers also has a nice guide to help you estimate portion sizes
- if you are eating out most restaurants now have a low calorie menu, or will give you nutritional information if you ask for it. If there is food in front of me in a restaurant I eat it, so when my food comes i immediately ask for a box and put some of it away for the next day.
- keep low calorie snacks around. I eat when I am bored, and having veggies in the fridge to munch on while I sew or play wow saves me tons of wasted calories. If you are going to keep vegetables in the house cut them up! I have thrown away rotten forgotten vegetables soooo many times.
- If you NEED something - then get it, but keep your portions small. So long as you are burning more calories than you eat you could technically lose weight on a diet of twinkies, pizza and beer,you just wouldn't get to have very much of it.
- you dont need a gym to workout, there are plenty of exercises you can do at home with little or no equipment. the more weightlifting you do the firmer you will be as you lose weight. you also burn more calories while you are resting for 8 hours following a weight lifting workout.

here is a muscle and exercise directory with cute little flash videos! find what works for your body and always listen to how your body responds. not every exercise is good for everyone.
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:59 am

Unread post Re: Body by Kulukan!
Wow, this is really good stuff to know, Kulu, thanks!!

Sometimes getting a rigorous, consistent workout going can be a little intimidating for me, so it helps to know that I'm not alone! Also, being a personal trainer sounds like a super cool job :)

I will definitely be referencing this post and your links in planning out my exercise program - thank you once more!

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:28 am
Site Moderator

Kulu = goddess of practical, useful fitness advice. While I haven't lost much weight in the last couple of months, I've gone from way flabbier than seen in my blue ensemble to something akin to fit with the exercises she gave me + my other stuff. I started the year at 194 lbs. I am now 160 lbs and have decided to spend from now through the end of October in 'maintenance' (keep steady) to be sure I don't backslide during the holidays.

At 5'6" and 160 lbs I am no paragon of fitness, but I started at over 366 lbs. I say 'over' because I did not permit myself to be weighed beyond that point, but I know I went up three sizes in the same clothing brand after that heaviest weight measurement.

I've lost over 206 lbs and kept it off. I have done this by using what amounts to the "Mom's good advice" fitness plan: eat a little less, move a little more, get enough water, get enough sleep, eat your fruits and veggies. If I can do that, anyone can, but be patient. It took me a decade to do it.

I started with a nutrition class (my local YMCA taught it) and followed it with light yoga and a cooking class courtesy of the local senior center. All were low cost or free. Once I started recording my meals and giving them just a little forethought, I dropped 80 lbs in three months. I did not regain it. (The rest came off more slowly as I was worried about ill effects of rapid weight loss, and about regaining.) All of this is stuff you can get on the internet for free now, though I found that interacting with real people helped keep me interested and encouraged.

Cardio: do it. In my case I do it on a treadmill for just shy of an hour, 6 days a week. This is my 'me' time, my treat time where I watch DVDs or DVRd shows. By turning it into something special for me, I am loathe to miss that time. Hulu.com is your friend. As Kulu says, walking works if it elevates your heart rate. Cardio is the foundation garment (think spanx) of fitness: it makes everything else look good.

If you're absolutely unable to measure your portions with measuring cups etc. and just know you won't write stuff down, I suggest starting out as I did. Serve yourself as you normally would, but - and be honest here - return 25% - 33% of it to the serving bowls and pans unless it is unadorned (no sauces or butter etc) fruits or veggies. Another good trick is to fill half your plate with unadorned fruits and veggies, and the remaining half of the plate gets 25% carbs and 25% lean meats.

With the holidays coming up, plan ahead for parties. Don't skimp at the parties but don't go bat$#!+ on food, either. A bender is unbecoming to anyone, regardless of the substance. Just remind yourself that you're having non-fat tomato soup and an apple for lunch today because you know that pumpkin spice cheesecake is gonna be there for you at the party. As nice side effects of this, your stomach will be smaller by the time the parties roll around, and by eating light foods pre-party your tastebuds will be overjoyed at every little morsel.

Lastly, don't kick yourself over the frickin' macadamia nut white chocolate chunk cookies... unless you ate that one the size of a football field.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

So maintenance is harder than it sounds, especially if you do keep up your exercise schedule - it's actually kind of hard to eat more than I'm used to.

My diet has (for a long time, since the 366 lb mark) consisted largely of about half unadorned produce and that stuff is very filling. Add to this that I neither have a sweet tooth nor am I crazy about creamy sauces or dressings, so I'm looking for suggestions for maintenance. I keep creeping down more than I mean to. I know, poor baby me - but the concerns about my health and ability to ultimately maintain a healthy, fit weight are very real. Losing 34 lbs in a 10 month period is actually a lot if you're not in the 400+ bracket.

Suggestions would be welcome, just don't say to cut back on exercise because I'm pretty convinced I'm not overdoing it AND it's pretty much what keeps my fibromyalgia in check.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:53 pm
Profile WWW

the only way you could be losing weight (major medical issues aside) is if you aren't eating enough. you could increase your portion sizes, or add in some extra snacks. maintaining your weight would put you more around the 1600-1800 calorie range (if not more) depending on how much you exercise.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:56 pm
Site Moderator

Yeah, I know.

It's not medical issues, it's that I have problems eating when I feel full, and believe me that I feel full. An egg, a piece of whole grain toast, an orange or banana for breakfast - that's pretty filling. Big salad (2-3 cups of romaine and other greens, plus celery, radishes etc) with some balsamic vinegar or dried herbs + a couple of whole grain crackers, also hugely filling. Post-workout snack of orange, mango or banana (sometimes two of them) + mozz stick, then dinner which is 1/2 produce, 1/4 lean meat (which is pretty dense) and 1/4 starch, very filling. I keep popcorn packs and celery sticks and radishes on hand for noshing.

I don't want to get into the habit of decreasing my produce, but I can't eat any more without feeling physically over-full, so I guess maybe I need to add cheese to my salad and my breakfast egg or something. The biggest problem I have is that the densely caloric foods one might use to balance this, like nuts, I am allergic to.

Maybe I should just not worry about it and trust my body to balance itself out when it gets into the healthy range. I don't know. It's not like I'm losing weight madly, it's just a half pound every 7-10 days.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:17 pm
Profile WWW

i say figure out around how many calories you are getting and if it is in the 1400-1700 range and you are still losing weight, then just let it go. 2 pounds per week of weight loss is the most that is considered safe for most people. If you are losing a half pound per week then you are under-eating by about 250 calories per day. adding cheese to a salad will definitely help with that

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:50 pm
Site Moderator

Looking at my droid's food journal (yes I do use it, I just sometimes forget it's all right there in front of me) I do see that I'm a little low for calcium and calories, overall, for the last 5-6 weeks. Cheese it is. Thanks!

Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:48 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

YAY! New forum area!

Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Interesting article at http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/28/ex ... l?hpt=Sbin on fitness. (If anyone can't follow the link to the story I'll post the body of the text here.) Stuff I knew really, especially after a recent conversation with a friend that went something like:

HER (after a couple weeks of mindful meals and adding about an hour and a half per week of cardio & strength training): I'm not weighing for a couple of weeks, though. I don't want to step on the scales (only) to see that I only lost a couple of pounds in a week.

ME: ... honey, a pound or two per week is AMAZING progress.

HER GUY, a former dancer and fencer: Yeah hon, that'd be really good. Anything more than that is potentially dangerous and easy to gain back.

HER: *shocked* ...really? I thought it should be like nine or ten pounds a week.

US: Yeah, sure, if you STARVE yourself.

HER: ...oh. Well, I'm okay with this for the long haul.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next