View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Cherissa's self - a work in progress 
Site Moderator

Unread post Cherissa's self - a work in progress
I'm gonna put this out here for the costumers who are NOT ready to do their Slave Leia or Old Spice Guy costumes yet. Since I started at over 366 lbs/166 kg (I refused to be weighed after that, and went up a few dress sizes, so I was heavier but that's the point from which I measure), I figure my journey will put things into perspective for some others.

Vitals

Height: 5'6"/1.67m
Weight (present): 164 lb/74.3 kg (down from 194 lb/88 kg in January)
Chest: 43"/109 cm (down from 52"/132 cm in January)
Waist: 28"/71 cm (down from 31"/79" cm in January)
Hips: 39"/99 cm (down from 42"/106 cm in January)

I do not have photos of me at my maximum weight, though I'm going through some old albums to try and find one to post here because ain't nuthin' like before/after to keep a person motivated. I keep one blouse from 12 years ago to remind me of my progress - any time I feel as if I have screwed up, I just lay it on the bed and then lay a blouse that fits me on top of it.

I did gain some weight over the last 2 weeks as it's been all about feasts here in the US, and I ate like a little piggy. I have zero regrets - I love food, and I planned ahead for the feast times.

One thing that some people may find discouraging is that it has taken me over a dozen years to lose 202 lbs. Don't be discouraged. Yes, I lost a LOT of weight this year and prior to that typically was losing only about 10 lbs/4.5 kg per year, though my very first year of weight loss saw me lose another large chunk of weight. I was concerned about skin sag and re-gain so I fine-tuned things.

I keep a food journal. In the past, it was paper, then a word document, and now it exists on my smartphone. This has also helped me discover my food allergies. My health vastly improved once those were nailed down and the offending foods avoided. I MEASURE MY FOOD. (A friend asked me, snarkily, "You REALLY expect me to MEASURE what I eat?" when I told her that was part of my 'secret'. I smiled and said, "Only if you're serious about losing weight".) Learn to measure. It only takes a couple of weeks of doing it before it becomes a habit and you don't even think about it.

I do 42-60 minutes of cardio each day, which is time I set aside as 'me' time. If it elevates your heart rate, it's cardio. Start small if you haven't been exercising. Make it something you enjoy, special time just for you with no chores, no phones, no errands - set up a laptop to watch something you've been meaning to watch if you have got a treadmill or stationary bike, listen to music or an audio book, whatever. Just make sure that you talk and try to think about this time as a reward. It is not a case of, "I HAVE TO do this to fit into my skinny jeans". It IS a case of, "I GET TO do this - and I GET TO look even more awesomesauce in my skinny jeans". It really is.

If you have joint problems, GET GOOD SHOES and go slow. Or go swimming!

And - this one is gonna sound like I'm a totally callous witch and I do not understand blah blah blah (but hey, 366 lbs with fibromyalgia and a neck injury, remember, so I DO understand):

Stop lying to yourself.

We tell ourselves lies about our fitness (I don't just mean weight) that go something like, "I'm young, I won't have heart problems" or "My family is destined to be smokers" or "I can still fit into these stretch pants, so it's okay" or "I'm not out of breath, I have a cold".

Don't do that. It's self-defeating. There is a WHOLE WORLD out there that wants to lie to you - don't you dare join it! You deserve candor from yourself, for with it, you have the information and strength to overcome nearly anything.

EDIT: punctuationisgood!!11one!!1

Last edited by Nara Pel on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Cherissa's self - a work in progress
I will post my weigh-in results every Thursday (by New York reckoning) and measurements once per month.

I should also mention I do 3+ hours of kung fu and stunt choreography every week in addition to the other cardio. It's awesome because it's cardio AND strength training. I also do a few minutes (12-15) at least 3 times a week of exercises Kulu has given me for core and my problem areas, such as the areas left weak by my injuries.

Mostly the last couple of months have been my body redistributing itself and getting stronger. I will begin my last big weight loss push in January, but I have a good history of losing a bit of weight overall during the winter holidays and I aim to maintain that record.

So look for my update on Thursday. I will also get full body pics from front, back and side so people can see how things reshape themselves over time.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:30 pm
Profile WWW

/like

Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:31 pm

Wow, this is encouraging, Cherissa. Would you mind horribly if I joined you in weighing in and putting measurements up? I know how to lose weight, but it doesn't work for me if I don't have someone to encourage me and be accountable to.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:17 pm
Site Moderator

padme9055 wrote:
Wow, this is encouraging, Cherissa. Would you mind horribly if I joined you in weighing in and putting measurements up? I know how to lose weight, but it doesn't work for me if I don't have someone to encourage me and be accountable to.

That'd be pretty awesome!

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:42 pm
Profile WWW

Cherissa what you've accomplished so far is awesome and you look great but more importantly it sounds like you feel great too. I would also like to participate in your weekly weigh in. This will be hard for me as I'm one of those people who hate giving my weight rather the number is large or small. But I need to do this because being accountable will hopefully give me the motivation to work out and eat healthier.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:09 am
Site Moderator

The more, the merrier!

Er, no pun intended. /sigh - What's a Freudian slip? Do I have to iron it?

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:12 am
Profile WWW

^^lol Tis the season.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:21 am

This will be very educational and motivational. I gained back the weight I lost for CV. :*( Now I need to lose it again. Waiting til after the holidays though because I plan on making many cookies. :@) What you have done so far is wonderful. :) It's tough enough to lose 5 pounds. Your progress will inspire us all!

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:19 am
Profile WWW

Nara, this is really encouraging! You have come a long way. I'm glad we all have support here like this.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next