View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Other cooking substitutes 
Site Moderator

Unread post Other cooking substitutes
Miss Magpi mentions applesauce as a replacement for eggs, oils and other lipids in baking; I mentioned ripe bananas as a similar alternative. We both mention pears in place of half the fruits in pie fillings in order to also reduce the amount of sugar used.

What other cooking replacements have we all found and liked?

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Other cooking substitutes
I have a lot of friends who can't have wheat or gluten (not the same reasons) or who are lactose-intolerant.

Lactaid and similar lactose-free milks work just fine for cooking. Harder cheeses are lactose-free by nature; mozzarella is NOT because it's made in a matter of hours. Trader Joe's has a mozz soy substitute that works well on grilled pizza and in salads, melts well enough for the pizza but I wouldn't use it for grilled cheese.

Mashed potatoes work very well in place of flour for making thick soups/chowders/gravies, as long as one may have potatoes.

Bard's Tale beer (previously called Dragon's Gold) is a gluten-free beer that is a good lager suitable for just drinking or paired with almost any beer-suitable dish, ranging from grilled foods and oily fish like salmon to spicy foods. It ALSO makes amazingly good beer batter when used with rice flour in place of wheat flour! (It's a little tempura-like, light and crisp.) There are other decent gluten-free beers out there, but this is my go-to because the first time I had it, I didn't know it was gluten-free and thought, "Nice beer".

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:30 pm
Profile WWW

I've tried a gluten free cake made from a premade mix and it was hard as a rock! I'm not gluten intolerant so I've never tried any other substitutes, but the woman who made the cake said it's hard to make cakes because of this.

I make corn chowder with boxed potatoes. It's really easy quick and yummy! There is usually a recipe on the box for it too. it's a versatile recipe too so you can add ingredients for other kinds of chowders.

I went on a no-meat kick after reading "Skinny (please be polite)" and tried out some tofu things. Boca brand "chicken" patties are the closest in taste and texture to the real thing. The "sausages" are just plain gross. Morningstar brand isn't so great if you want something close to the real thing but its an acquired taste.

Chocolate Soy milk is really good tasting too. The chocolate covers up the soy aftertaste if you are a milk drinker. I've used plain soy milk in coffee and it works just the same as real milk.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:01 am

I really dont have many cooking substitutes. I love protiens so I eat a lot of meats but try not to eat a lot of any one in particular. Years ago, I replaced ground beef with ground turkey and now I dont notice the difference. I only use ground beef for burgers. I use olive oil in place of a lot of other oils I previously used and if I can get away with the spray I use it so that I'm using less.

I also love pasta so I've tried to cut back by sometimes using the spaghetti squash vegetable in lieu of the spaghetti pasta.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]