View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The 7 Day Cleanse Challenge 

Unread post The 7 Day Cleanse Challenge
In general I am not a huge fan of "cleanses" I think the science behind them is a bit spotty but I have (somewhat reluctantly) agreed to attempt this "cleanse" with one of my friends to help her along. This one is called the "Fresh Start Program"

I have made several changes to my version of this cleanse (added protein and some carbs) to make it more suitable for a more active body.

This is a 7 day plan, that is not intended to be repeated past 7 days. It could be useful in helping break a food addiction (...diet coke), it could serve as a kick off for a longer term diet plan or to rejuvenate a weight loss plan that has gone awry, or if you believe in cleanses you can omit the chicken breast that I added. I find this cleanse very very low on protein (eggs in the morning being the only source) so I added a chicken breast with dinner.

If you are exercising protein is very important! You should have some type of protein within 2 hours of your workout to help repair all the muscles you tore up. You should also have some carbs within 1 hour after finishing a workout to quicken your recovery. Your body is hungry for these nutrients after a workout and will absorb them much better shortly after a workout than if you wait.

Since all the meals are the same for 7 days its easy to buy everything at once and have your food ready and waiting for you each day (like Jenny Craig :). You will most likely lose weight on this cleanse unless you really like your fruit ^.^

Here is what this cleanse claims to do (this is copied directly from my handout)

When the cells of your body are contaminated with toxins, ACID-SUGAR-MUCUS-PUS-etc., you have no energy, your appetite is poor as is your complexion, you do not sleep well, your eyes are dull, you suffer from aches and pains, you are nervous and irritable, you feel indifferent-everything seems wrong. Life is not as fulfilling as it once was; in fact, you really are ill.

The sensible and logical thing to do is to CLEAN OUT and detoxify, not just the digestive tract, liver, and kidney, but all the CELLS. Purge these cells-get all this accumulation toxic material out. Follow these recommendations for 7 days and get ready to enjoy life again!

The first day you may feel slight discomfort by having changed your regular mode of eating, but do not allow this to disturb you, for it is natural. About the 3rd or 4th day the bowels and kidneys will begin to move freely. Much Toxic material will be passed. There will be symptoms of headache, perhaps nausea, gas, and a few aches and pains but do not be alarmed. Nature is merely cleaning you out. These symptoms are quite natural and to be expected. About the 5th day you should start to feel a surge of energy. Continue on until the end of the 7th day.

If you start the program-STICK TO IT! Don’t try it one day then quit. Follow the instructions and reap a wonderful reward of HEALTH!

I added my thoughts and food additions in pink!

I will try to track my thoughts on this cleanse as i go through it

Breakfast:

Fifteen minutes before you are ready to eat breakfast, squeeze the juice of a lemon in a medium glass of hot water and drink it.

This is a natural diuretic. A diuretic is anything that promotes the formation of urine by the kidneys. This alone could cause you to "lose weight" well, water weight, But there is so much liquid intake involved here it isn't much to worry about. If you are exercising make sure to stay hydrated.

CARROT JUICE - 8 oz. or more if you desire, but be sure that you take 8 oz. at least

I could not for the life of me find carrot juice, I do not own a juicer, I am going to substitute low sodium V8 and more broth for this :)

BOILED EGGS - 2 hard-boiled eggs

easy peasy, i boiled 6 in advance.
Cover eggs in cold water, put your pan on high, bring to a rolling boil (bubbles are breaking) take off the heat and cover for 15 min then place eggs in cold or ice water

FRESH FRUIT - ½ pound - You may eat more, but be sure to eat at least ½ pound. You can eat only one kind of fruit or you may mix. (No bananas or avocados)

avocados are high in fat, the only fat you get in this "cleanse" is from olive oil - which is why you do not follow this for more than 7 days! you need fat in your diet, it makes you hair shiny and your skin look nice, if you cut out all the fat your hair will fall out. Not quite sure why bananas aren't allowed.

Between breakfast and lunch you should drink all the vegetable broth (see recipe below) you can hold. Also eat fresh, raw vegetables and fruit. The more of these you consume, the more thorough the cleansing will be. Make up a lot of VEGETABLE BROTH - see recipe at the bottom. Drink lots of this broth. It is full of minerals and vitamins.

whew!! what a wall of text! on to lunch

Lunch

VEGETABLE BROTH – Drink two cups during the meal

SALAD – make a chopped salad of fresh raw vegetables, using four of the vegetables listed below. Make a dressing of oil, lemon juice, vinegar and salt (see recipe below). Use at least EIGHT LEVEL TABELSPOONFULS (or more) on your salad;
Artichokes, Asparagus, Beans, Beets, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Cucumbers, Celery, Endive, Egg Plant, Fresh Corn, Fresh Green Peas, Green Peppers, Kale, Lettuce, Okra, Onions, Parsley, Parsnips, Pumpkin, Radishes, Rutabaga, Spinach, Squash, Swiss Chard, Tomatoes, Turnips.

hmm...not so sure about this salad. 8 tablespoons of what is mostly olive oil? maybe it meant teaspoons, the recipe only makes a little over 3 tablespoons. then again, this is the only source of fat...so maybe they piled it on really good here...

DESSERT – fresh fruit

pfft, fruit is sooo not dessert

Between lunch and dinner drink all the vegetable juice you desire. Eat all the fresh fruit and vegetables you want. Drink lots of broth.

Dinner

CHICKEN BREAST - (this is my addition, if you are working out then add bits of chicken or egg in after your workout) I bought a bag of frozen chicken breasts. I put mine in pairs into Ziploc bags and added a bit of olive oil, garlic, random herbs and lemon juice. I have 2 sets of these thawing in the fridge. I will cook 2 tomorrow and 2 the next day. One will definitely be for dinner and the other in case im too tired/lazy to cook one the next night or Ill use half of it for a post workout meal.

VEGETABLE BROTH – drink 2 cups during the meal, more if you desire.

COOKED VEGETABLES – select 2 or 3 of the different kinds listed previously and sauté them with olive oil. Eat a generous helping of each (NO POTATOES).

sadface @ no potatoes

BREAD – one medium slice WHOLE GRAIN BREAD with Earth Balance spread (optional). (No Butter).

I have no idea what earth balance spread is. I really don't think a dry piece of bread is appetizing, maybe dip it in oil and vinegar? :)
either way this bread is important. You are getting most your carbs from fruit here, so this extra boost of carbs is important. Without carbs in your diet you will be a grumpy, tired person

DESSERT- Fresh fruit

Plus Probiotic-2 times

these are expensive, and since I am not doing this for the purpose of a "cleanse" I will not go spend my hard earned money on em :P

If you feel hungry after dinner, eat fresh fruits and Vegetables and drink vegetable juice or water-all you want!

Recipes:

VEGETABLE BROTH

7 carrots cut fine
1 small bunch of celery, cut fine
2 quarts of water
1/3 bunch parsley
Large handful Spinach, cut fine
1 quart V8 juice, low sodium

Place carrots and celery in 2 quarts of hot water and boil for 15 minutes. Add 1/3 bunch of parsley and a large handful of fresh spinach. Boil 10 minutes more. Drain off the juice or broth. For flavor add a pinch of salt, okra, tomatoes, green peppers or garlic. Mix with one quart of V8 juice (low sodium).

This recipe above makes a one day supply. You can make more if you desire and place in refrigerator. It can be used hot or cold.

The purpose of this broth is to FLUSH. Drink lots of it during the seven days. It is full of minerals and vitamins from the vegetables.

wow, thats a LOT of broth. I made 2 batches (lol and all this is a 2 day supply?!) I got kinda lazy when I made it. I chopped up the veggies, added onion, garlic and a bay leaf, threw em all in my biggest pot, covered it in water and let it bubble for an hour. i put a strainer in another pot and poured it through to catch the broth and strain out the veggie bits, then stirred in the V8, brought it to a boil then let it cool. It tasted kinda boring, so I added cayenne so that I can pretend im drinking a bloody mary.

SALAD DRESSING
Use the following recipe until the amount desired is achieved:

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Season with sea salt to taste

Directions:

-Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice and sea salt.
-Slowly add olive oil and whisk in, or shake all ingredients together in a small jar with a tight lid.

havent tasted this yet, but im not too optimistic.

the fun starts tomorrow with breakfast! I will get a starting weight when i get to work so that I can track the diuretic effects of this vs. the massive amounts of fluids I will be drinking. If anyone is interested in trying this I would be happy to answer questions to the best of my ability.

general disclaimer: I am NOT a registered dietitian. If you have special dietary requirements consult a doctor before making such a radical change to your diet. If you try this cleanse you do so at your own risk.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:22 am

Unread post Re: The 7 Day Cleanse Challenge
Hmm, this cleanse looks very interesting. I'm almost tempted to try it, just to see what happens. The only alteration I personally might make is add a few nuts in the middle times, to help me feel really full. Not a lot, just a few :) .

The biggest challenge for me, though, would be the fact that I'm the only one on the cleanse :P .

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:08 pm
Site Moderator

Nuts are fatty, which is why they aren't on this cleanse.

Bananas are treated like a starch by the body (much like taters are) so I would guess that's why they're not on the list.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:55 pm
Profile WWW

I've always wanted to try a cleanse as a fresh start to healthy living. The only catch is, it would be preferrable to not have to go to work or anywhere important once that urgent urge to use the bathroom springs on you suddenly, haha. Or so a friend reported after trying the lemonade diet. Doh.

Looking forward to progress reports.

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:45 am
Profile WWW

Woot! I made it through day one.

I had a moment today where I wanted a cookie more than I have ever wanted one, but I think that's only because I'm not allowed to. I generally don't crave cookies.

I took my weight around 3:30pm, with all my work clothes on it was 122lbs. That's about the weight I was when I ran around LA mostly naked as Oola. My workouts have been pretty poor lately, its hard to stay and workout after work, I have issues with using the locker room, and well, I hate they gym where i work. (excuses, excuses....even personal trainers have them) I plan to do a workout at home before work tomorrow.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the warm water and lemon juice is actually very good. I cut up an apple and a pear for my breakfast fruit (I find its much easier to eat fruit/vegetables when they are cut up). It was hard to eat that much fruit! I got half way through my bowl and felt stuffed.

The lunch salad dressing was TERRIBLE. My friend added garlic and rice wine vinegar to the mix and said it was much better. (she is also a chef so I'm sure all of her things are more tasty) I didn't use the full 8 tablespoons and still had leftover dressing sitting in the bottom of my salad bowl. I ate a late breakfast so lunch was hard to eat because it seemed like sooo much food!

I worked from 3 to 8pm and was dreaming about my chicken with dinner from about 4pm on. As soon as i got home from work I heated up a mug of vegetable broth and drank 1 and a half of those while my chicken baked, squash sauteed and veggies steamed. By the time it was done and i sat down and ate maaaybe half of my plate before i was stuffed!

So if i only take one thing from this experience it will be - keep veggie broth around! drink it through your day or before you eat a meal and you won't be nearly as hungry

dinner before

and after - i finished the bread but left everything else - i seriously put that last bite of chicken up to my mouth and just couldn't eat it.

Over the course of the day I drank about a pitcher of broth. Its actually very good - think spicy tomato soup - and I will probably continue to keep some on hand for when I am bored and want to eat. I've had one moment of "omg i need to pee right now" but with all the broth I'm drinking that's pretty understandable!

I definitely don't feel as though I am starving, I feel more like I will have to force myself to eat my "dessert"

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:29 am

Wow! That is amazing how the fruits and veggies just fill you up like that! It's also really encouraging :) . Looking forward to seeing how you progress :) .

Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:12 pm

If I ever do a cleanse again, this is one I would do because it allows you to eat. I did the master cleanse (lemonade) and I dont think it is healthy at all and hopefully I will never torture myself with it again. However, this cleanse sounds more healthy. I hope you have success with it.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:35 pm

day 2 is done! (due to staying up late catching up on the new season of Spartacus and passing out after working early this morning my report is late!)

The hardest part of this for me is the mornings. But once I buck up and just start eating what I'm supposed to its not so bad. Whenever I'm home I take my chopped veggies out of the fridge and put them out on the counter or on the coffee table (this way my boyfriend eats them too). Ii just continually munch on those and never get hungry enough to really want anything else.

Same thing happened with dinner. I was really looking forward to my chicken but by the time I had my veggies steamed and fruit chopped and chicken reheated I had already drank a mug of broth and wasn't really very hungry.

I lifted weights for about 45 minutes, and then did some TRX exercises at home. It hurts to straighten out my arms, such a good feeling!

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:56 pm

Made it through day 3! But 4 more days seems like such a long time! If I wasn't posting on here i probably would have cheated by now. I would just feel so pathetic logging on here and lying about how amazing i did :P

I worked early then came home and passed out, so my meal times got all messed up. I probably didn't eat nearly as many vegetables as I was supposed to. After a while eating raw veggies seems like hard work, its amazing how much easier it is to stuff lightly steamed vegetables down your throat!

Currently the only food temptation in my house is a bag of chocolate chips that i discovered in a cupboard then immediately had my boyfriend hide from me. That's probably a big part of my success. I couldn't turn down something that was right in front of my face.
I haven't had a diet coke in 3 days (which might be the source of my headache, I wonder if tea is allowed) I think that if we were invited out to dinner or something that it would be very hard to tell someone "oh sorry, I'm on a cleanse."

Hopefully my cleanse gets cut a meal short for Valentine's day, if it doesn't my boyfriend is in for some trouble!

I must say that all effects are following exactly what the cleanse said. I spent the morning feeling kinda bloated and sick. The morning was the hardest, hard boiled eggs just aren't too appetizing. If you are going to try this definitely invest in the types of fruits that you really like, they are really the only highlight of my day food-wise.

I've been weighing myself at the same time all 3 days and its amazing how much fluid intake can effect your weight. I started at 122, it was 121 yesterday and 120.5 today. This isn't actual weight loss just the movement of all the fluids that I'm drinking. I went through a quart and a half of broth today - so if you try this, don't be far from a bathroom! I would be surprised not to have lost a real pound or 2 by the end of the week.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:11 am

Day 4!

I didn't eat nearly as much as I should have. I had a job interview at 11 ish and basically ate breakfast and then nothing until 4pm ( i decided to run errands after)

I will never run errands hungry ever again, all those fast food smells were like running a gauntlet. I made it home without eating anything unfortunate and dove back into my plan. So other than under eating I am still on track!

Only 3 days left!

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next