View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Better Start Somewhere 

Unread post Better Start Somewhere
So after reading a bunch of topics in this here Fitness and Weight Loss category, and after my Mom going all health nut on us (Dad and I) for the upteenth time... I think I've finally decided to get my act together and try (yet again) to lose some weight.

Here's my stats for right now

Body type: Large Boned
Weight as of now: About 177-179 lbs. (according to my grandmother's old bathroom scale.)
Height: 5ft. 5 1/2 inches.

Weight loss goal: At least 5 lbs and getting rid of my muffin top.

Equipment to help me with this: Treadmill, nuff said. ;) And one 10 lbs weight. As well as roller blades.

Roadblocks: I'm homeschooled, on the computer, yep Cyber Charter School. Now, given I do go to performing arts school every Tues. and Thurs. but I'm not really moving too much unless I'm in Acting class, so my daily schedule for that is:

Period 1: Tech Theater (Sitting around learning about stuffs, and or doing makeup/drawing/listening/etc.) Not much action going on

Period 2: Voice, aka, Singing, and about the only time we move is for warmups, then it's back into the chairs and time to use our voices.

Lunch! Which usually consists of a heat up meal, some sort of V8 juice, and maybe some type of sweet if I'm feeling it.

Period 3: Digital Music, Aka- Sit at a computer and compose music and have fun doing just about nothing... yeah. But it's still a great class, we just don't do anything active wise.

Period 4: Acting, I don't think I need to explain what goes on here, but the intensity level of movement is very light. And we don't usually move unless we're up on the stage.

~~
Other than that I'm pretty much sitting at a computer for the rest of the week (including the weekends) unless mom says she has to go to the store. (Aka I don't get out much and have a case of chronic Cabin fever)

Now I've tried different things before (if you can even call it that) but my biggest problems are that I can't seem to stick with it and... (Now everyone's gonna throw a fit...) I'm a carnivore. Yep, I just can't seem to eat enough fruits and veggies, Now given I will chug as much V8 as one could want, but I just can't seem to down Strawberries, Blueberries, Bananas, Pears, etc.

Here's what I've done so far:

NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP!!! Yep! :D I lay off of that stuff as much as humanly possible, In fact whenever Mom and I go to the store I grab bottles and such and check to see if it's "Clean" or not. And if it is we'll get it.

Smaller portion sizes. A while ago I started to eat less, so Instead of having lets say two 6oz hamburgers I'm down to one. Or like just last night, I almost couldn't finish the "small" chicken breast that my mom put on my plate... (made me mad too, couldn't have any mash potatoes!) :evil:

So what I'm really hoping to do, is to figure out some sort of plan to help me with this, and given, my mom has tried and tried and tried yet again to get me to turn into a vegetarian almost. And now she's trying to shove vitamins down my throat, I think that I really just should try to do this myself because everything my mom has tried to do (saying that it's for all of us changing) hasn't worked.

So starting right now (seeing as I've only had a bowl of cereal for breakfast and haven't eaten lunch yet) I'm gonna kick this weight off of this planet and to the Hoth system!

And any help at all would be greatly appreciated, I'm kinda going in blind so I have no clue what's gonna happen. But I'll try to keep a log of it if I can.

Today is day: 136 with my Padawan braid.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:40 pm
Profile YIM

Unread post Re: Better Start Somewhere
You and I are about the same height and weight presently! :D I havent started my get into shape routine yet though. :( I'm still in winter mode unfortunately until temperatures get to 60 and above for good. lolz...

But I do think you are starting out really well. :) Eating less and eating healthy are two important steps, and very difficult ones. The next thing I would say is just to add in some exercise or activity of some sort. There's plenty you can do just in your home like aerobics, weights, basic situps n stuff. Perhaps yoga would be good too. My exercise of choice is walking at a local park for an hour, when I get my weight down, I'm able to jog some of it too. I like nature and listening to music makes it not so tedious.

You can also do things that aren't necessarily classified as exercise but do get you moving, such as chores or gardening or some sort of hobby? I know it's not much advice, but hope it helps a little. :) I should probably start following it soon if I want to fit back into my costumes. :oops:

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:48 am
Profile WWW

Wow we are? That's kinda cool, I didn't think that anyone was about the same as me but I shoulda thought of that. And yeah unfortunately I'm still in winter mode as well, seeing as I'm still in school and Fishing season hasn't gotten here yet! Can't wait! errgg!!! That'll mean that dad and I'll be taking the boat out a bunch and I'll have to get some exercise, but for now I can try to find time to hop onto the treadmill. As for hobbies...hmm I don't really have much that I do outside except for practicing my sword skills with dad (when it's warmer of course) and helping him out around the house, course Mom said we'll be rollerblading soon, which is good! I love rollerblading. :mrgreen:

But thanks for the help Summer! I'm really glad that I've gotten some advice already, and I'm trying to eat healthier now too. In fact I actually asked my mom to get me celery and we wound up getting celery and baby carrots. How cool is that?! :lol:

Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:59 pm
Profile YIM

Trust me, you are far from alone at your weight/height. I am 5'5" and currently 172 lbs--down from 180.
You don't have to give up meat to lose weight either. you should keep in mind how much fat you are taking in (and what percentage of that is saturated fat, since you're young and don't want the burden of high cholesterol at this stage in life), and eating a more veggie friendly diet will help with that. I, personally, wouldn't have much trouble going vegetarian, but I live with a carnivore. My husband literally pouts when I fix something and it doesn't have meat in it or he doesn't have anything that he could have on the side. Case in point, I made spagetti yesterday with a marinara sauce and he did a happy dance when he found two strips of left over sausage he could have with it since I made it meatless. A suggestion for if you want to have a meat alternative: Try morning star or boca products. The boca spicy chik'n patties are good and 100% meat free. Smaller portions are incredibly important. You may want to try measuring out servings to see if you are actually eating what you think you are. Drink lots of water with meals too. It will help you feel full with normal portions because you eat more slowly if you are drinking water after every few bites.

Try to incorporate new fruits and veggies as well. Just because you don't like bananas (or whatever) doesn't mean that you might not like something else. And nix the processed foods all together if you can. After all if something has to be processed, is it really food?

Welcome to the forums and good luck with getting your weight under your control! Just remember, don't beat yourself up over it too much!

Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks For the tips Jaclyn! And I've actually been eating more vegetables and I've been trying to eat healthier. I think it's starting to help because when I weighed myself on the scale today I was

175lbs! (Which is actually pretty normal for me) Of course that was after I took my big baggy sweatpants off... hmmm

Yeah it was 177 with pants on, and 175 true weight with them off. Hmm confusing, this is. :D

Anyways, for processed food wised, luckily I stay away from Beef and Pork as much as possible, the only time I eat beef or pork is either holidays or when we have Steak Sandwiches and when we do that all comes straight from the butcher.

The meat that I do eat all the time is actually Deer meat. (Aka Venison, and yes, I'm in a family of hunters.) And studies have shown that it's wwwwaaaaayyyy more healthier for you than any other thing the stores come up with. There's literally no fat on the meat at all and it's really healthy for your heart too.

But that's what I've been doing so far, I still haven't really been able to exercise, what with the marking period ending on Tuesday, but I think I should start out with what I eat first.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:49 pm
Profile YIM

venison is quite awesome. I too came from a hunting family, though they hunted duck and not dear. I would actually prefer to eat game meat than conventional meat. You never know what those poor animals went through!

I too am having trouble getting into (back into?) exercising. Watching what you eat can do a world of good alone; exercise is just kicks things up a notch. Good luck and keep up the good work! The habits you develop now will help you as you go forth into the big wide world out there, so you better make them good ones! ;)

Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:02 am

Yes Venison is SOOO GOOD! And yeah I'd rather have my mom's deer burgers than regular pork or beef. And you're right about the poor livestock animals, they have all sorts of pesticides in their food and ugh yick... Just give me my healthy deer. (Speaking of which I actually got my first two does this past season! My first year out!) :D

And we still have meat in the freezer. Yep I rule. (Kinda because I got two and all the other males that went out that we know, only got one. I mean my dad only got a button buck!) But enough of the bragging for me... :roll:

Anywho, the only sweets that I've been eating now has been my mother's cakes that she's been making. And I usually slip a peanut butter cup or a hershey's bar (if we have one) inside to make it extra delicious. But no High fructose corn syrup for me!

And I've been adding more veggies to my diet, I really should check my weight again. But it's probably going to go up again because I'm sorta due for that time of the month again...erggg :(

But I've been having Cereal in the morning, Nothing too sugary, just Generic Brand Honey Nut Cheerios and Skim Milk. (Always Skim! Because I drink a lot of Milk at times. And I'm talking like maybe 4-5 glasses a day.)

But yeah I think the diet change is helping, I'll know more once I've been on this thing for a couple months. I mean it's not really a "diet" but it's just trying to eat better.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:36 pm
Profile YIM

So I think that today I will start exercising. Meaning... Treadmill, and maybe some weight work.... But I know that I'll definitely be hitting the treadmill today (Even if I must get dragged over there and tapped to the machine!!! :twisted: ) Heh heh...heh... um.. yeah.

So I'm kinda sick and tired of just sitting around, and I really need to start working out because I am soooo outta shape. I mean the other day I went running around outside and I felt like my heart was going to leap out of my chest. SO! That being said I'll put on the calorie burning program thingy ma jiggy...what not. And walk to my hearts content! :D

Wish me luck!

Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:12 pm
Profile YIM

So it's been awhile since I've posted. And I don't think that my weight's changed any. I mean given I kinda fail at trying to motivate myself onto the treadmill when there's a pile of schoolwork waiting for me on the computer.

And I know, excuses, excuses.... Darn procrastination. :evil:

Alright! Confession time over. Time to get into booty kicking gear. Right now as I'm typing I'm currently working on a math lesson. Once I get it done, and maybe one more to appease my mother, I will be weighing myself and throwing myself onto the treadmill before dinner.

And If I should fail again, I'll let you guys know so you can send in the 501st to lock me up! ;)

Now I will be taking it slow because I'm sick and my back is killing me, but as the one Marines' t-shirt says: "Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body."

Wish me luck! The support really helps in the long run. :D

Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:34 pm
Profile YIM

Good luck! Don't give up! Looking and feeling great is one thing, but you should never give up on your health. :) You can do eet!

Learn Huttese & Other Star Wars Languages!
http://www.completewermosguide.com
Goopta mo bossa!

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next