View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Getting Fit for Celebration 
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Getting Fit for Celebration
Luananeko wrote:
Is it sad that I'm more sore from our all day troop yesterday than I am after most of my normal indoor soccer games?

You're doing very physically different things, and standing still is always harder on us than being in motion, I think. I know that it doesn't bother me to walk at a brisk pace for 40+ minutes and it doesn't bother me to do yoga for a half hour (I do both daily), but 2 hours on my feet posing with a lightsaber leaves me creaking like an old wooden warship the next day - and so does a lengthy cooking marathon where I'm mostly standing in one place.

Taking a small dose of some kind of anti-inflammatory (meaning, not Tylenol which is analgesic) before you troop and again at the 6-8 hour mark helps. Taking it again before you go to bed helps. Taking a long warm bath after the troop helps, though I'm not sure it has any greater value than a hot shower besides the relaxation factor. Stretching helps lots, before, during (if you can) and after. These are the things I do when I know I'm costuming/trooping the next day, too.

You'll also build up reserves of tolerance for the poses and the standing. The more you do it, the better your body reacts, just like anything else with muscle memory.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:22 am
Profile WWW

yea my arms are killing me from posing ^_^ lol

In process Rachi Sitra (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)
In process Bespin Leia (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)

Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:17 am
Site Admin

For me, it's always my lower back. It must be something about standing so long, and in unnatural positions.... by the end of most troops, my back aches so much. And, my legs after troops that involve a lot of kids. Stand up, kneel down for a picture, stand up, kneel down for a picture, stand up.... who needs squats and lunges when there are miniature Twi'lek fans around!

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who gets creaky after a troop!

Pam :-)

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:06 am

Twi'lek Pam wrote:
For me, it's always my lower back. It must be something about standing so long, and in unnatural positions.... by the end of most troops, my back aches so much. And, my legs after troops that involve a lot of kids. Stand up, kneel down for a picture, stand up, kneel down for a picture, stand up.... who needs squats and lunges when there are miniature Twi'lek fans around!

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who gets creaky after a troop!

Definitely not the only one :) The up and down muscles are the ones screaming most at me right now, followed closely behind by the "sucking in" tummy muscles and neck muscles.

Nara, the muscle memory bit makes sense. I've been playing soccer since I was 5yrs old, so I guess my muscles remember those motions really well by now. I've learned to embrace the wonderful power of Advil, just wasn't expecting to need it for just a troop :)

Anywho, I'm pulling us off topic. Way to keep up the exercise Pam! As you get used to being back in the exercise swing it should get easier to go more intense. Don't forget that even if you're not losing weight you can still be trimming down since muscle weighs more than fat. Measurements are more important than sheer weight!

Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and other Sci/fi props & replicas at THGProps!

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:16 am
Site Admin

Much better effort and results this week.... yay!

Sunday: 20 minutes P90, 40 minutes elliptical
Monday: 60 minutes P90
Tuesday: 15 minutes warmup and weights, 40 minutes elliptical
Wednesday: 45 minutes P90
Thursday: Rest day, no exercise
Friday: 20 minutes warmup and weights, 40 minutes elliptical
Saturday: 30 minutes P90, 30 minutes elliptical

Starting weight: 151.2 lbs.
Last Sunday's weight: 150.4 lbs.
Today's weight: 148.0 lbs. (loss of 2.4 lbs)

The good: I decreased my portions on most meals, ate less processed food, and put more effort into my workouts. The workouts were longer, and I didn't wear out quite so fast. I'm already starting to see hints of muscle tone returning to my arms, calves, and tummy. I finished listening to the Hobbit and started on a Wheel of Time book, and they're really working well to keep me going on the elliptical. Usually I'm on there for ten or fifteen minutes, and then I get bored and want to wander away. With the audio books, I keep going because I want to hear what's going to happen next... and I do NOT allow myself to listen to the books when I'm not working out. If I want to hear the rest of the chapter, I have to keep moving! When I got on the scale this morning, I was begging, "Just one pound, c'mon give me a full pound this time." 2.4 pounds was both unexpected and surprising. Probably just beginner's luck... but I'll take it!

The bad: Still eating a bit too much, but not nearly as badly as I was before.

The annoying: I called the doctor and was told that what he saw in my sonogram should be monitored, but shouldn't be causing me any pain. When I reminded him that I HAVE been feeling pain for months now, he replied that I'd better come in for another checkup. So, I've got an appointment for Tuesday. There goes another co-pay!

The goals for this week:
* Continue improving my portion sizes and eating better.
* Try not to let Thanksgiving blow my progress. Especially the pies. Pies will be in attendance, guaranteed.
* Keep up the workout schedule... I like where it's at now, and it's getting easier to do.

So, that's my "Getting Fit for Celebration" progress..... who's next?!

Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:19 pm

Great progress so far Pam. Keep it up, consistency is the key.
I’m currently trying to drop a few kilos from around the middle. Yes kilos, I’m Australian. One of my favourite quotes is “you don't find abbs in the gym you find them in the kitchen”. So junk food has to go :( . I find exercising regularly is hard but eating right is harder.
I get inspiration from seeing other people succeed so I will be watching your progress. Good luck.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:12 am

Great work Pam! The audio books only when working out is a great idea, I'll have to look into trying that :)

Check out our "Unbreakable" E-11's and other Sci/fi props & replicas at THGProps!

Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:46 pm
Site Admin

Less exciting results this week.... though I supose it was to be expected.

Sunday: 20 minutes warmup and weights, 40 minutes elliptical
Monday: 20 minutes warmup and weights, 40 minutes elliptical
Tuesday: 15 minutes warmup and weights, 40 minutes elliptical
Wednesday: Rest day, no exercise
Thursday: Rest day, no exercise
Friday: 40 minutes elliptical
Saturday: 50 minutes elliptical

Starting weight: 151.2 lbs.
Last Sunday's weight: 148.0 lbs.
Today's weight: 147.8 lbs. (loss of 0.2 lbs)

The good: Tiny loss is better than gaining, I guess. As expected, I had trouble with the huge amounts of naughty food that were served by my family on Thursday, and the leftovers that remain..... so I've tried to at least eat smaller portions than usual. Considering the amount of pie, candied yam, stuffing, ambrosia salad, etc currently sitting in our fridge, it could have been a lot worse. At least the dinner rolls are all gone! Definitely loving the audio book. I kept going an extra ten minutes on the elliptical last night, just because I had to find out if they would be able to heal an injured character before it was too late. (He lived! Yay!)

The bad: On top of the house full of food and company that kept me eating too much and not exercising enough, I also managed to catch a cold that has kept my workouts on the low end of the intensity spectrum. But, it'll pass, and things will pick up again once it does.

The goals for this week:
* Get over this cold
* Keep up low intensity workouts so I stay in the habit of working out until I can pick up the pace again, even if it's just walking slowly on the elliptical.
* Keep an Eleena Daru image as my desktop wallpaper, to remind me what I'm working toward!

Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:05 pm

Courage, Pam, you have a good body and you still get to be better :D

Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:48 pm
Site Admin

I LOVE that picture! It's one of my favorites, and always will be.

Okay, so I'm getting back on track again. I "had" to take a few weeks off... first I got sick, then started feeling better only to catch another bug from my students, and then a third. And, I was required to move to another school and another grade level, so I lost time to packing, unpacking, learning new curriculum and generally stressing out. (I have lowest senority in the district, so whenever a change is needed, I'm one who gets bumped.) Luckily, my diet didn't backtrack too much while I set aside my workout schedule. I know I did a fair amount of stress eating, but I also had a lot of days where I just didn't feel like eating much at all, so it balanced out. I only gained two tenths of a pound, putting me back at an even 148. Bleck. I'm still a bit congested in my chest and sinuses, but I'm going to start working out again because I'm really tired of that being an excuse not to exercise, and I'm going to resume keeping track of calories on myfitnesspal.

I also set up a Celebration VI countdown clock on my computer desktop, to remind me of how much time I have left to reach my goal of 130 lbs and fitting into that Eleena costume before heading for Orlando! I set the timer for August 22, the morning we'll be getting on a plane and our vacation officially starts... and at this moment there are are 243 days, 20 hours, 34 minutes, and 15 seconds for me to get these tubby thighs back into shape! :-D

So, here we go again....

Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next