View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Weight loss without gaining muscle 

Unread post Weight loss without gaining muscle
Ok, i have noticed that i have lost a pant size but no actual weight and have come to the conclusion with what i am doing i am never going to lose actual pounds because i'm just gaining it back in muscle. I am 160lbs and i do karate 4 times a week. I have noticed changes in my body but my weight never changes. I try to eat mainly healthy and not much soda or junk food but still nothing. Anyone know of a better way to lose weight but not gain muscle mass from it? I mean i don't mind getting muscle from working out but i'm not losing any weight from it. I've been trying to get myself down to at least 140/145lbs. Any help would be great! :D

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:18 pm
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: Weight loss without gaining muscle
Measure all your food and record the calories in it. Every. Single. Bite. If you are not losing weight, you are consuming enough calories to keep you even - which, by the way, the body wants to do. It resists, because OMG what if there is a famine and I starve to death cuz I used up my fats???ohnoes!!!one!1.

myfitnesspal.com is both a website and a smartphone app.

Measure the food. Measure it. Measure it. You will be surprised to learn that you've been having two and a half cups of pasta (which can rock 200 calories per cup - consider that a healthy meal for an adult female runs around 600 calories total - then add the sauce, the sides, and your beverage and all of a sudden it's a feast) or that your glass of OJ - a serving is 8 ounces at 110 calories - has in fact been 10 ounces. Those bits add up.

Also, stay the **** away from 'vitamin water' and energy drinks. You know what another word for those is? "Soda". A bottle of vitamin water often exceeds the calories you spent working out for an hour.

Don't use fat free versions of stuff. Just use less of them - you need to maintain lipid levels for proper health and function, and most of those have so many nasty additives it's not helping you in your quest for fitness.

---

Now, your weight loss goal is relatively small and very sensible, so I'd sort of suggest you jump-start yourself. My husband and I do this every holiday season because we know we'll be at lots of parties with lots of delicious foods, so we look ahead to figure out what days we know we'll turn into eating machines.

Then, the two days prior, we eat unlimited amounts of fresh/frozen fruits and veggies, and reasonable amounts (watch the sodium) of clear soups - chicken noodle, etc. Skip the bread/crackers whatever.

Every holiday season we manage to lose about four pounds without even trying.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:15 pm
Profile WWW

along with making sure your eating less calories then you take in, add cardio to your workout. the Karate is good for your muscles but you want to get your heart rate up and stay up for an interval of time, this will help you burn the fat. oh and one more thing about the fat free foods, read how much sodium is in those compared to the regular versions, it's usually about double.

In process Rachi Sitra (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)
In process Bespin Leia (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:17 pm
Site Moderator

Trust me on this: karate, kung fu, all that - it is very much cardio according to my doctors. Tai chi not so much.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:01 pm
Profile WWW

Depends on which of the arts it is, I just don't like to hear "I do karate" without some qualifier as to what kind it is. I automatically assume there isn't enough cardio in the workout when someone says that.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:24 pm

We do more of MMA style then anything. Like we have a day of just conditioning where we just do stretches and things like that but most of the other days it is full hard on work out with kicks, punches, take downs, and so on. a lot of keeping the heart rate up and such.

I will try to work on the counting calories and measuring out foods and see if that will help me out. I'll let you all know what happens.
I would have never guessed that vitamin water wasn't that good for you. They make it out to be something that helps you out a lot. I don't drink a lot of it because i only really like one kind and it is not easy to find. I do drink a lot of Gatorade though. I know if will be hard for me to think about how i am suppose to portion out food because i am one of those people that like to take what i know i can eat. But i will have to try hard on that one. I know if i set my mind to it i should be able to do it though. Thank you!

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:38 am

my heath teacher would say drinking soda would be better than drinking the Gatorade, for what it does for you. Switch to straight water, it'll help cut the sugar out of the diet cause those things have lots of calories.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:00 am
Site Moderator

Oh! Learn to read labels. Read them as though they are that next book you REALLY want to read. Learn all the code words for 'sugar' (if it contains the ending -ose, it's probably sugar - fructose, sucrose, etc.) and salt. Almost anything diet increases the amount of salt and sugar it contains to reduce the fat it contains for flavor.

About the reading labels: a can of soup may say '24% daily sodium' and '350 calories' per serving, but it will probably also say 2.5 servings per can! A packet of candy may say 240 calories per serving and then reveal that it contains two servings per packet.

And yeah, lose the Gatorade. That's something I only drink when I'm sick and dehydrated, personally, and then it's amazingly helpful.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:50 am
Profile WWW

Nara Pel wrote:
And yeah, lose the Gatorade. That's something I only drink when I'm sick and dehydrated, personally, and then it's amazingly helpful.

only good if you've had bad tummy rumbles followed by frequent bathroom trips if you catch my meaning ^_^

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:01 pm
Site Moderator

Aysel wrote:
only good if you've had bad tummy rumbles followed by frequent bathroom trips if you catch my meaning ^_^

Heh, yeah, that was kind of where I was going with that. :D

---

Anyway, in the department of 'read the labels', housemate just came over to me and said "Ugh, I'm never getting this orange juice again, it's HORRIBLE". We looked at it and it turns out it's orange drink - 50% juice with other stuff. This is a smart guy who got fooled by the packaging, which is what the packaging is there to do. :(

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next