View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
My Fitness Pal - A Helpful Weight Loss Website & App 
Site Admin

Unread post My Fitness Pal - A Helpful Weight Loss Website & App
My Fitness Pal is a website (and App) that I've seen getting high reviews on several forums lately. Folks on the 501st boards have talked about how much weight they lost while using it, and Nara/Cherissa recommended it here on our forum as well. I kept seeing it mentioned, so I got curious enough to check it out this past week, and it does look pretty good!

myfitnesspal.com

When you set up your account (free), you put in your weight and height, and set a weight loss goal for yourself. They recommend one pound per week, but you can select other goals. The website then creates a "Food Diary" web page for recording your daily food intake. It's really easy to use... you just type the food you ate into the search box, and it gives you options to choose from. You click on the food you ate, record the amount you ate, and it adds that food to your diary. At the bottom of the page, it tells what your calorie goal is for that day, how many calories you've eaten so far, and it tells how many calories you have left, or how many calories you've gone over your goal. There is also a page to record your daily exercise, and the calorie goal is adjusted according to how many calories you burn off. (The initial goal is for a "sitting on your butt all day" calorie need. If you work out, it adjusts your calorie goal to give you the energy you need for working out.)

There's a "Complete This Entry" button that you click at the end of the day when you've finished eating and working out. It then tells you:

If every day were like today... you'd weigh 144.6 lbs in 5 weeks.

This estimate changes day by day, depending on how much you ate and how much you exercised. I used the site for three days this past week just to see if I would like it, and that sentence made a big impact for me. On a day when I ate really well and exercised a full hour, it announced that at the end of five weeks I would weigh 142 pounds. And, there was a day when I fell back on my bad habits... I ate WAY too much, I ate junk food when I really wasn't hungry, and even though I worked out it still said that at the end of five weeks I would weigh 151 pounds. Right where I have been lately! It was a very effective way to remind me how much calorie intake influences my progress!

The diary also helps you see what kinds of food take up a huge amount of your calorie allotment in just a small amount of food. Convenience foods such as those "side dish" packets of flavored rice or pasta... wow. They taste good, but a 3/4 cup serving uses up nearly a whole meal's worth of calories! It really makes you think twice about buying them the next time you shop! Since the diary tracks goals for fat and carbs, it also shows you which foods really go overboard in those categories, too. You think twice about that next quesadilla!

Anyway, I'm going to start using the website on a regular basis, and see if it helps keep me on track. Maybe it'll be the extra push I need!

Pam :-)

Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:58 pm
Site Moderator

Unread post Re: My Fitness Pal - A Helpful Weight Loss Website & App
I absolutely love MyFitnessPal. Love.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:37 am
Profile WWW

I just added this app to my phone today. I am excited about giving it a try. Hopefully it will be a big help for me. I like that most food is on there or something very close to it. I also like that you can scan a bar code and do it that way. I think this is going to be a great help! :D

Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:47 pm

YES! I love this app. I'm trying to lose 30 lbs by August (who knows if that will happen... But a girl can dream!) and that evaluation and projection at the end of the day is extremely motivating when I've been good, but a horrible condemnation of naughty behavior lol!

Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:44 pm

I lost 30 lbs between using My Fitness Pal, making sensible food choices, teaching Zumba, bellly dance, running and aquatic training. It feels good to have gone down 4 sizes! However, I still have about 30 more pounds to go. I tend to gain all my weight in my midesction, and that's always the hardest place for me to loose it.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]