View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Rianna Saren 

Unread post Rianna Saren
I would love to figure out how to do this one! Unfortunately I haven't been able to think of a lightweight yet convincing way to do the prosthetic lekku and metal headpiece.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:04 pm

Unread post Re: Rianna Saren
Hmm.. I'm actually considering doing this one. As a huge fan of using real metal on all the metal or armor parts in my costumes. Iron is obviously too heavy, but maybe thin aluminum plates might work? Maybe look into how they did real armor.

Personally I would get one of Pam's awesome lekku and work the headgear directly. Then you would get the look of the prosthetic lekku without actually having one (that sounded weird, but you get my point). But if you want to reuse the lekku for another twi'lek, maybe fasted the metal on to a stocking of some sorts to pull on and off.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:43 pm
Site Moderator

Actually, I believe Pam has just recently cast a prosthetic where one of the lekku collapsed - if it's the correct one for the metal, perhaps she'd work something out with you for it? That way you haven't got to damage a whole prosthetic in order to make what you want.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:46 pm
Profile WWW

I thought about using thin sheets of aluminum ( I once worked at a sign making place, and some of the thinner stuff I'm thinking of would probably work without being ridiculously heavy ), and attaching them directly to an already made pair of lekku. Real metal would look the best, but if it doesn't work out I thought about giving Wonderflex a go, but I have read reviews of that saying it can get melty if you're out in the heat.

The rest of her costume shouldn't be terribly complex though, and no paint!

Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:35 am
Site Moderator

Thin sheets of aluminum or even a lot of the stuff from stained glass making would probably do it.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

A friend of mine started making this costume years ago. Her plan was to start with one of my headpieces and then cover the lekku with a thin layer of some funky air-dry craft clay. She did a test patch, and it looked great... until she flexed the lekku and the clay flaked off. I think she changed her costume plans after that and made something else with the headpiece.

A couple years later I decided to try that costume as well. I went on a shopping spree, bought the materials and started sewing. I have way too many costume projects in the works, however... so Rianna was set aside before I got very far. Those supplies have sat untouched in a tub ever since then, and I really doubt that I'll ever finish it!

He he.... this is the "wings" from an Iron Man toy. Since it's spring loaded, I thought it might be modify-able into the wrist thingie that Rianna wears.

I played with several ideas for making the metallic lekku, including sculpting the design and molding it, or taking one of my latex headpieces and sculpting or carving the designs onto/into the latex before painting that side of the headpiece silver. I also thought about covering it with thin strips of silicone that had been mixed with silver metallic powder, thus building up layers of flexible "jointed" sections. I did a few tests with layers of silicone, and it looked pretty cool. Of course, I hadn't tried actually gluing the silicone onto the latex... it might have taken some experimenting to find out what would work best. I'm sorry I don't have a photo of my test pieces, but here's what metallic silicone looks like:

Pam :-)

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:16 pm

I was skimming and thought "hmm I recognise those pieces..." Then I looked to the post name ;)

Silicon is a PITA to glue to anything other that fabric and more silicon. Fabric because you can work the silicon glue into the fabric to anchor it and silicon as well.. silicon bonds to silicon ;) I have been thinking about silicon tentacles for the incredible squish you can get (with deadener/slacker) but it's the gluing and painting (and cost) that causes a pause and scurrying back to latex ;)

It may though be really easy to make a non-stretch cloth template of the part of the lekku needed, then transfer that to flat clay, sculpt and then mold in ultracal/plaster and make flat latex pieces like the above silicon.
Mix some metallic acryllic paint into latex to paint (or Pearlex powder into liquid latex) for the metal colour.
Then using Shoe Goo or latex adhesive for a permanent bond or glue to some lycra based fabric to make removable pieces.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:35 am
Profile WWW

Hey,
I'm doing something similar for my twi'lek mando, but it's armor to protect the lekku. I made them out of strips of pop can, so they are really light weight, I just have to glue the two ends of the strips to create a circle, then string them all together. I started with strips of paper first that I fitted horizontally up the lekku, overlapping the one below it, kinda like armadillo plates. The pop cans are really flexible, but it shouldn't be a problem when they are around the lekku.
That's what I have so far, I'll post new photos when I'm finished. :D

Senika

Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:57 am

Thats a fantastic idea for the armour plating Sen'ika never thought about using drink cans !

Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:51 am

Creativity = win. That's a great idea! I love seeing how other people use some non'traditional materials in costume construction.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next