View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Mel's Miela Mashup 

Unread post Mel's Miela Mashup
Hi All

I'm new to twi'lek costume, & also five months pregnant. I'm going to a convention in October when I'll be 7 months pregnant, so none of my other costumes fit me, so I was browsing the twi'lek pics for a more covered up twi'lek I could do. And I found Miela. What a beautiful dress!

I am basing my custom twi'lek on this costume, as the differences will be that I will remain human skin colour (I don't think I will have the energy or ability to paint myself at that stage of pregnancy, as I can't find the energy now!) Also, I am using fabric from my stash, so I don't have anything in the blue tones that she is wearing.

I am mostly finished a mock up in purples & blues, sadly it's already too tight over my baby belly, so if I can figure a way to make the skirt a bit more flowing, I will post a pic. I used McCalls costume pattern 4954, which is a pattern for an egyptian/roman/greek style of costume, but I thought it shared some structural similarities, & it's been easy to make up. I cut it out yesterday, started sewing it last night & now it's in one piece by mid morning today. (I don't work on Mondays otherwise it would've taken longer!).

Here's a link to a pic of the pattern envelope, as I don't know how to insert pics in messages;

http://www.mccalls.com.au/Shop/McCalls- ... umes/M4954

Now that I've made the basic dress, I am yet to decide whether I will add a cape style thing that attaches to my wrists, or make a separate lightweight coat to go over the top, or make a giant pair of flowy sleeves to add on.

I've got plenty of time, the convention isn't til October, but I'd like to wear it to a local 501st troop beforehand to try it all out.

Next step - a semi custom headband out of suede leather with some appropriately sparkly decoration to help my lekku stay on. And then some experimenting to get my lekku the same colour as my skin. It's close, as I am pale, but I read that painting the lekku helps to protect them & prolong their life, and I love them so much I want to have them for as long as possible!

Thanks Pam for making such high quality costume accessories!

Cheers
Sideshow Mel

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:03 am

Unread post Re: Mel's Miela Mashup
Oh Mel welcome shoulda told me you were interested in doing a twi'lek ! So i geuss your merc is out of the question completely being that large with pregnancy !

Can't wait to see your dress when it's finished !

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:45 am

Hey Kat,

It appears I am going to be too big for anything except a comfy flowy dress, so twi'lek was my only option for Armageddon! :lol: The dress is just about done, the body is complete, I just have to decide what I want to do with sleeves or a flowy cape type thing. Next I will start building the headpiece which will help hold the lekku on.

Then I'll have to do the scariest part & paint the lekku to match my skin colour (it's really close now, but I note that painting them helps protect them, so I will paint. :(

Draco will post pics here soon of my progress, since I don't have a photo account & he does (also he took the pics!).

I'm excited because it's coming together!

Mel

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:17 am

As i was saying on the fb, a pregger twi will look awesome can't say it's done very often if at all ! And a bit different from the usual pregenant padme look !

one tip i can suggest for the head piece don't, sew the vinyl on both sides you'll sweat and to much and it will slide all over the place, bit of soft material for backing it will sit nicely in place :)

Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:47 am

Progress pics of Mels dress.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:03 am
Site Admin

Very pretty! I kept scrolling up to the post above, with the ideas for potential accessories, and then scrolling back down to the dress picture to imagine how each of the accessories would look with it. I couldn't decide which idea I liked best... each one had potential for a very different style!

Pam :-)

Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:06 am

Thanks Pam! I am currently debating between sleeves exactly like the Miela costume or a bit different. I'll also probably have a black or dark headband, as again for that I'll be using from my stash. I have a large fake but pretty diamond cut piece of glass that I thought might make a nice centrepiece to the headband.

I thought I would not go with the mesh type long sleeves & chest cover that the original costume has, as I'll be wearing it in October in Melbourne & be heavily pregnant, so I think I'll just be too hot.

This fabric & colour combo was just for my mock up but it's so nice I can wear it. The fabric I actually had in mind is a green silk shot with black. I think I'll make it up too, so I can have a different dress for each day of the convention.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:05 am

So I did finish the Miela inspired outfit & have worn it to Melbourne Armageddon & to Brisbane SupaNova. You should be able to see a pic here;http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/313442_1570165510193_1717159146_784032_1443954989_n.jpg, I hope. If it doesn't work, I'll get my hubby to post a pic here.

It went really well, it was comfortable, & I just need to do a bit more work to match the lekku to my skin colour, so I'll be ordering some more alcohol based body paint from an australian supplier as it works out a bit cheaper for me. I also plan to add the ear buds to the headpiece, & make the headpiece a bit more solid, as it's a bit flimsy & slipped a lot. I think I'll also add some lekku wraps, just to do a bit more to camouflage the seams on the lekku, & to help hide if I can't get the skin tone right.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]