View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Jedi archeologist? I'm in! 

Unread post Jedi archeologist? I'm in!
So like others before me I have been very much in love with the images of Rachi. In part because she is a rare colour and in part the whole trying to work out just what is the common denominator in al the depictions of her!
In the end I am focusing on two artworks by Steve Argyle and I think I have managed to find a real world interpretation given there are layering issues when you look at many jedi art works!

This is at the point where I can leave it and go back to work on lekku. I love what I did for Talon but she was a test for a new method. I know what I did wrong and what i did right so Rachi benefits ;)

The layers are as such:
Tank tee with turtle collar in faux suede- very stretchy and soft. The pin tucked are made by taking the full width of fabric, tucking it on he reverse then cutting the sewing the front seam and then finally topstitching the pin tucks down on. Then the side seams and shoulder seams put in. The collar and finally a zip up the back. I have a long neck but this is designed to also wrinkle a little down.

Tunic from crepe mechanical stretch bound in faux suede (which when freshly pressed looks like leather). There is a waist seam and all edges are bound in the faux suede. Still neds corner tidied and a few other neatening stitch lines.

Tabbards in miltple parts. They will be snapped in place to the tunic or tank Tee depending on final fitting. Same faux suede. It is single layer but the binding is hand sewn on the inside to hide any and all stitching.

The pants I had made for D*C and C^ for my SWTOR JK.

The obi is indeed shaped (also slightly too tall atm). I have to, my differences between ribs and waist and hips and waist are way too much to just wear a wide band. There is a nice curve to the artwork. The base is of glazed cotton and will be covered with the two faux suedes as they seem more appropriate than the crepe :)

There is just enough of the dark suede to make the headpiece along with some mid weight leather of a similar tone. I just need to sort some boots. I'm aiming for the plainer ones with turn down top and fitted calf. Much a I love the herringbone pattern I am not sure it works as well with the two pieces if art I chose as well as the fabrics I chose.

Btw the sleeve is really easy :) Once I have her worn I'll be able to show the pattern process in proper diagrams if anyone is interested :)

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:40 am
Profile WWW

Unread post Re: Jedi archeologist? I'm in!
Lekku are enpurplified ("meths" works very well to clean but of course I have bitrex all over my hands). They need some dappled sponging now as well as the tiger stripes. That may wait until I have a chance to make them nice and neat!

Obi progress!
Debating how to fix the pieced section over the obi.. I went with a hidden running stitch.
Image Image
Now to go hammer the heck out of the back and get the obi functional (grommets).

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I'm enjoying this thread soooo much; I can't wait to see the finished costume!

Thanks for sharing!

Pam :-)

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:08 am

Thanks Pam :) Well the costume base is finished and I had a trial run this weekend. No photos that I know of... but the flight to the show combined with sinus issues made it a great big no to wearing lekku. I tried so many ways and just was not able to avoid pressure on those sensitive spots.

I may or may not manage to wear them this weekend. Pretty sure not given it's been three months of sinus pain ;)

The obi needs more internal support in front and sides. Luckily the cable ties I used for the back are ideal :) Also lots of domes to hold layers together! the suede tends to make the tabbards want to go travelling up and over the back ;)

Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:14 am
Profile WWW

Woo! I managed to wear the lekku! Sad as I was to strip all the sith tattoos off (difficult too- the black was PAX over the red Reel Creations) and spent a day as Rachi- without her stripes. So still not fully finished ;)

I am wearing the arm wrap things (they look like sleeves in some images and like gauntlets in others) a little low as they nicely hid my wrist strapping ;)

It was so incredibly fun- despite the usual bumpers and pullers ;)

The night before I was staying within walking distance of the local mall so I went hunting for a nice purple nail polish couldn't find any and wound up settling on a semi opaque pink. They look pretty natural with the purple which was what I was after :) Pink highlights everywhere! And it helped disguise the paint coming off my finger tips- I was busy handing out Rebel Legion cards and info to people!) I also have a nice sheer pink with a little sparkle for glam days ;)

I lucked in to having enough decongestants to get me in to the lekku ;) Also my buns were just perfectly positioned and pinned- so no pressure on random hair pins- and my head wrap just fitted (it's faux suede over elastic, will get patterns and photos once I add in the extra decorative elements needed) so I was able to wear them a full 8 hours with only a short break when they were literally sliding off my head with sweat ;) I had to take them off and use paper towels to dry them ;)

Gotta say. Love headwraps. Oh so very much. I do have a lot of short fly away hairs now but reminded myself of all the publicity photos where stray hairs were not edited out...

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:56 am
Profile WWW

So it's been a while ;) But I just got word my costume got approved for the Rebel Legion as formal/canon :) Very exciting :)
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/profil ... ile&u=2531

We had a photoshoot on Saturday :) I was going to get photos of Shaak Ti but that was a step too far in terms of needing time to prep and need on hands robe wranglers (her lekku make the robe layers bunch and move about too much) given we were cloud dodging as it was.

Behind you! by Matt & Kristy, on Flickr
Photo taken by Rob Clarke

Rachi Sitra by Matt & Kristy, on Flickr
Photo taken by Rob Clarke

Image Image
Rachi Sitra by Matt & Kristy, on Flickr

So *squee* my good girl twi'lek can travel! My other RL costumes can be a bit too much for many child friendly events, this is why I wanted Shaak Ti but Rachi is simply easier to wear and still gets the idea across of Jedi in all shapes and colours XD

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:21 pm
Profile WWW

i am loving the finished costume! great job and i LOVE the color!

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]