View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
tips for first time bodypainters! 

Unread post Re: tips for first time bodypainters!
Hi Serill :)

I don't see any reason why using both would be a problem. Maybe a little overkill, but better safe than sorry when it comes to smudges!

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Noob here. Have cosplayered and attended con for years, but never done a nonhuman cosplay before. I've ordered my latex lekku, and am sold on getting Reel Creations and an airbrush.

I feel like my question is pretty standard, but I can't find it anywhere on here. How much body ink should I buy? If I want to paint myself from the waist up, and will need to paint the lekku too once I get them. Is a 24oz bottle going to be enough? Do I need a whole gallon? Some people here seem to indicate that I will need to mix white with my chosen color. Is that right? How much? Half and half? Less? I want to be a pretty vivid turquoise, and was figuring I'd just use the turquoise that reel creations sells, without mixing anything.

Also, what kind of airbrush and compressor is best for a starter? I feel like I want to NOT get a gravity feed one, if only because the cup holding paint on those look so small. I can't imagine you can do much with those without constantly stopping to refill them.

I've tried to research the airbrushes and machines, but can't seem to find any info that isn't aimed at people who already know what they're doing.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi Wind,

I'm still sorting a lot of this out myself, but hopefully this will help a little.

A 24oz bottle should be more than enough to paint yourself and your lekku. Check out the Body Paint thread for painting techniques. Pam's method of sponging on a light bottom layer followed by an airbrushed layer to smooth it out works great.

Mixing colors is really a personal preference. I use Temptu and have to mix their grey with 3 parts white because it is SUPER pigmented and dark; however, I didn't have to mix RC's grey at all. I would consider ordering a 1 oz bottle to begin with, so you can see how the color looks on your skin and if you will need to mix it.

This is one of the airbrushes recommended on the forums, and I have had a lot of success with it:

http://www.megahobby.com/a220basicbroad ... brush.aspx

It is an external feed (meaning the paint isn't run through a hose) so it is very easy to clean and you won't have to worry so much about clogging.

This compressor is great and easy to use:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes50204.htm

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Hey Guys,

I am currently using the Reel creations inks with an airbrush and I ran into a snag

I tried painting my face with a brush first and then going with the airbrush to clean up. (I've done this for my Lekku without issue)

I was starting to do my eye makeup when I noticed the red ink was coming off! it was flaking off my chin, top lip and brows.
Did I use too much product? maybe I should sponge a thin layer instead of using a makeup brush? maybe seal it before applying my other makeup?

Really need help cause I totally flipped out when I saw the makeup coming off (wont lie, cried a little)

Cosplayer, Wife to be, Awesome person
A-Okay Cosplay

Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:17 pm

When i did my face i just go with fine layers of airbrushed paint. I find brushing or sponging puts too much on and wastes too much product.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:05 am
Profile WWW

Hi ladies! I'm new to the forum and to body painting. I am hoping to pull off a fem Drax the Destroyer from GotG. I need the body paint to last about 8 hours (morning until late afternoon). The convention centers are temperature controlled (Wonder-Con in Anaheim, CA & Comic-Con, San Diego, CA) but I sweat when I'm nervous so that's an issue no matter the temp. I will be wearing a small tanks & pants. Paint needs to cover upper body. I need a grey/green paint. I'm still reading through all the amazing info in other topic forums. I apologize if my questions have been answered in other topics; feel free to provide those links.

1. What product do you suggest that does NOT require an airbrush for a noob like me?
I am leaning toward trying the water based only because I was told I couldn't use alcohol based on the face. Please school me!
I am currently considering Mehron Paradise with the color set powder & barrier spray & applying with nylon brushes but am OPEN to other products & application techniques).

2. What color suggestions do you have for green/grey outcome? Please attached pic reference.

3. I'll be using puffy paint & mesh for the tattoos (non-latex). Should those be applied to the skin before or after I am painted??? Does it depend in which paint I use?

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:59 pm

for my she hulk, I used wolfefx hydracolor cake and I used a makeup brush from Sephora called "airbrush" it worked really well! ^.^

Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3