View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
tips for first time bodypainters! 
Site Admin

Unread post Re: tips for first time bodypainters!
This is my shopping list... though honestly I rarely use the Blue Aqua Sealer anymore... it really isn't needed for most Twi'lek costuming.

http://chucrew.com/Twilek/alcoholbasedpaint.html

Pam :-)

Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:59 pm

thanks Pam! that's just what I needed, I've also explored further and I think I'm going to add one of those pop-up spray tan booths so everything can be contained and I don't have to go all Dexter on the bathroom

In process Rachi Sitra (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)
In process Bespin Leia (goal~completed by Celebration Anahiem)

Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:39 pm

i am having a rough time with my water-based makeup. i did my very first trial yesterday and ended up doing it 2 times because the first was a disaster. the second time was better since i did more of the dabbing/stippling, but i still have problems not getting the little globs of paint that make it look like it isn't my skin. are there any tips for avoiding that? or am i just being paranoid that people would notice that?

and by the way, i have a newfound respect for all you guys that paint your entire body. i did my neck, face, and forearms and it was so hard. you guys rock so much! i just hope i can do a good enough job when it comes time for celebration!!

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:01 pm
Site Admin

Hi,

It's hard to picture the problems you're running into.... what kind of paint are you using, and how are you applying it?

(Now, aren't you glad you're practicing in advance, and not freaking out the morning of the con?! :-D)

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 am

i'm using the ben nye magicolor liquid and i've been applying with a sponge. the problem that's happening is that when it dries, there seem to be tiny globs that flake off and i don't know if it's because i'm putting it on too thickly or what. plus, i'm mostly just looking for tips to apply it the best i can.

and yes, pam, i'm very very glad i'm testing it now instead of waiting to do it in florida lol. i would have freaked out!

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:46 pm
Site Admin

The trick to any paint, and especially the thicker water based paints, is to keep each layer as thin as possible. As you've seen, any thick spots will rub off very easily, or will crack and flake off on their own as you move. I have used the Ben Nye paints with only a sponge, and while it is deffinitely harder than applying it with an airbrush, it is possible to do a nice job. You have to use a soft sponge, rub very gently with it, and don't load it up with too much paint.

Here's my tutorial for sponge application:

http://chucrew.com/Twilek/waterbasedpaint.html

This was Ben Nye applied with only a sponge..... so I know it can be done!

So how many of you catch yourself saying "Bill Nye" instead of Ben? "Bill, Bill!" :-D

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:00 am

I've been trying to place an order with Reel Creations for a week now, but I keep second-guessing myself and getting so bogged down that I have made zero progress. A couple of questions:

-For the base layer of paint, would the Reel Creations color pots work? I'll be going back over it with an airbrushed layer of the body ink, but looking at the prices on the website it seems that I might get more bang for my buck if I use the color pots when possible.

-For my first attempt I'm only going to be painting my lekku from Pam, as well as my face/arms/shoulders. Would 6 oz. of the ink be enough or should I order more?

Thanks so much for any advice you could pass along. I hope that Celebration was amazing for those of you who were able to attend!

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:42 pm

I wore my twi'lek cyberpunk costume for the first time this weekend, and it was a crash course in body paint application!

The day of, I think everything that could go wrong, DID.

-I used too much developer when I mixed the RC color pots, which resulted in very runny ink.
-Managed to spill half of my paint on the carpet when I was touching up a spot on my lekku.
-The container on my DayGlo gun was extremely brittle and fell apart when I tried to screw it on.

Once I realized using the DayGlo gun was out of the question, I started panicking hardcore. I tried to sponge the paint on, but ended up with a runny, splotchy mess.

Enter my Tusken Raider to save the day.

I stood out in the backyard while he patiently sprayed my face and shoulders with an industrial strength house paint sprayer and the pitifully small remainder of my ink. I do NOT recommend that experience, but it got the job done!

Lessons learned: Invest in an actual airbrush kit and compressor, and avoid the hassle of mixing the pots by spending a little more for the RC ink.

We went Halloween party hopping, and in spite of all of the problems at the onset, public reaction made it SO worth the stress!

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:11 pm

Any advice for water-based sponge painters?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:27 am
Profile ICQ WWW

First time body painter here with what I see as a basic question , but I am sure it is not that simple .
I am planning on using Ben Nye with final seal as my top coat for smudging and what not.
I have found a product from Ben Nye called Liquid set. Basically its a liquid that helps to set and seal the final paint it would be something you mix in with the paint.
I am not sure if i need to use final seal when mixing this liquid set with the paint or if i can use both together for an even better seal.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
I have included a link of one of the places i have found this information.
:arrow: http://makeupandbeauty.com/ben-nye-liqu ... ng-liquid/

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next