View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 8:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
creme makeup? 

Unread post creme makeup?
i am having issues with liquid makeup staying on. I dont wear makeup on a regular basis so i guess my skin is confused?
Has anyone used creme makeup instead? I like the Ben nye that i have used before.
I will only be doing my hands and face but does anyone think it looks off, or should i just go with it?

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:57 am
Profile WWW

Unread post Re: creme makeup?
How are you applying the creme makeup? Is it one of those kinds that comes in a stick? I don't know how much my opinion is worth because I've only used one type of liquid make-up. I use Ben Nye Magicolor Liquid (water based). For my Aayla costume at CV, I applied it with a sponge and it took FOREVER. It was really hard to get an even coating of color without blotchy spots I also had trouble with the paint coming off where it rubbed against certain parts of my costume.

Another problem you might come into contact with is getting the color of your lekku to match the rest of you (I've seen people who have this problem and it looks BAD). I used the same Ben Nye paint on my lekku to assure it would match.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:04 pm

i was going to get clown makeup so it would stay better.
My lekku is fabric and really doesnt match my body suit, but to help that im wraping it in vinyl strips with coins on it like the coin bra since im going to be a belly dancer. I think that will offset some of the color some. :?

Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:31 am
Profile WWW

Awakening a dead thread here, but I thought an update might be helpful for future twi'leks!

I've been using the Ben Nye Creme Colors, and I actually really like it, but there are definitely some tricks to successful application and lasting wear! My costume does not show a lot of skin, I am mainly painting my face, neck, hands, and sometimes midriff. I don't think I would recommend the creme if you plan on having more exposed skin than that, I just don't think it will turn out nicely.

First thing I recommend is that if you are fair-skinned like me, stick with a lighter shade of your desired color. I originally wanted a mauve/purple color, but because I am so pale, every streak, patch, freckle and pore was highly visible. I wound up going with lavender because it blends easier with my actual skin tone - it's easier to get this shade even and more natural looking. My lekku look slightly darker than my skin in person, but in pictures it looks spot-on and realistic. If you have olive tones or dark skin, it might be easier for you to pull of a darker color.

The major difference that I've found with the creme is that it goes on pretty thick, and stays tacky for a LONG time if you try to wait for it to dry. It's also pretty shiny upon application, but that can be fixed! Advantages are that this is an inexpensive method of painting, and once you've got your routine down, it goes on fairly quickly! This is also a good method for lazy or impatient people like myself lol, because you don't have to be as careful about your application motions (dabbing over rubbing or wiping), because it spreads out a lot - if you see a streak, it's easy to smooth out.

I use sponges and brushes. Most of the application is done with a sponge, and brushes are used for areas like the corners of my nose, close to my eyes, and to outline my lips. Even on my hands I usually just use the sponge. Once you've applied your paint, let it dry for a few minutes until it feels more sticky than wet on your skin. Here's the weird part - gently rinse with cold or lukewarm water (easiest to do on your hands/arms, try using a spray bottle on mist for the rest!) - don't rub, just let water run over it. Then VERY gently, PAT dry. You can even just lay a soft towel or old t-shirt (my go-to) over it to dry if you're afraid of disturbing the paint. I discovered this trick by accident, I don't know why it works, but it does! It will remove that sticky, tacky feeling and leave you with smoother, less shiny paint.

Next apply a finishing powder - I use Ben Nye Neutral Set Colorless Face Powder and a kabuki brush. This time you'll want to be more careful about application - dip your brush in some powder, shake off excess, and stipple it on. Keep dabbing to smooth it out if you wind up with a white patch, and be thorough in coverage, especially around creases in your skin and places that rub easily, like knuckles! It helps seal the paint, and it neutralizes the shine and leaves a surprisingly natural look and texture to your new color :)

I then do a coat of Ben Nye Final Seal spray, touch up any blotchy spots with a brush, and do another light coat of the powder where I feel it's needed! The paint goes easily in a pouch or bag with a brush for on-site touch ups :)

It seems like a lot of work, but when it's not very much skin to cover it's the easiest, most cost-effective method that I've found over the years!

Oh, one disclaimer I just thought to add! I don't know how to get it to stick to hands well -when painting my hands, I only paint the backs (up to and around the base of my fingernails) and fade the color out as it comes around to my palms. This is for two reasons - one, my hands get sweaty easily, and that just turns out gross. The other reason is because I am a photographer and don't want my palms & pads getting paint residue on my nice camera lol!! But all in all I am very satisfied with the creme makeup!

Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]